Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Boat, Semi, Crane, #%$^@

I'm considering moving a boat via moving service to a site where I can unload it and work on it as time allows. In order for this to happen, of course, I would have to have a suitable place to put the boat once it arrived, and I would have to have a way to unload it from the tractor trailer.

Unloading, I talked to a crane service and they think they can handle the load and put it down where I want it, but I know they have no real experience with boats so I wonder what kind of things I should be considering here, what are the gotcha's they might not consider ?

Once the boat is at the site, of course, I will need to have already established a place to put it. What should I be thinking about here, I have never in my life been involved in putting a boat on the hard so all I know is that there are these thingies sticking up that the boat rests on, and that's about it.

I'm in the exploratory/curious stage at this point, not the actual planning stage, and I am looking for input.

Boat - 40 foot, 20k pounds displacement

Thank you!

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Might I suggest that you contact a local marina that has an experienced TravelLift operator and contract with them to instruct the crane operator on proper loading and also to help you set the boat stands. I don't know if they'll do it or not, but perhaps you can contract with a worker on the side to help out...
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 03-25-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I'm not sure where you are located but I bought a boat that was located in a pasture in Maine. I chose to use a boat hauler with a hyrdraulic trailer. The price for hauling the boat was identical to what I was quoted for a conventional hauler, and I did not have to pay for either a crane at the Maine end, or a travelift at the Annapolis end of the trip resulting in a big savings. While you may be able to rent a crane capable of handling 20,000 lbs, it won't be cheap.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 03-25-2009
Vikingsailor

c40eb is on a distinguished road
Well, our boat (30', 10K disp) is moved every year. The truck/transport is specially designed w/hydraulic arms. They back the boat where it is to go, and set up the stands to take the load when the trailer is moved. No crane needed to pick the boat off the truck and onto the stands/block.

The keel supports all the weight on blocks and the stands balance the boat.

The transport services I have used have been very experienced in doing this and are pretty amazing.

As noted, call around to marinas and ask what they can do...it's fairly standard stuff.

s/v Cloudman
1988 Sabre 30
Old 03-25-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I'm not sure where you are located but I bought a boat that was located in a pasture in Maine. I chose to use a boat hauler with a hyrdraulic trailer. The price for hauling the boat was identical to what I was quoted for a conventional hauler, and I did not have to pay for either a crane at the Maine end, or a travelift at the Annapolis end of the trip resulting in a big savings. While you may be able to rent a crane capable of handling 20,000 lbs, it won't be cheap.

Jeff
Windy,

Let me add to Jeff's note above that the hydraulic trailer of which he speaks is capable of picking up the boat and setting it down without any need for a crane or a travellift. A hydraulic trailer is what you want, assuming you have a paved or hardpack surface that the trailer can back into and set the boat down on.

If you have to get the vessel into a back yard with no access for the trailer, then it's a crane you'll be wanting.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-25-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
Might I suggest that you contact a local marina that has an experienced TravelLift operator and contract with them to instruct the crane operator on proper loading and also to help you set the boat stands. I don't know if they'll do it or not, but perhaps you can contract with a worker on the side to help out...
That sounds like a good course of action. I am a few hundred miles from the closest marina, but I think talking to someone who does this for a living is a very good idea. One of my worries with the stands, besides getting them set up to hold the boat and not fall over, of course, is that the ground may not be the best for holding the boat, it is just a field. I assume I need to prep the site before even considering putting a boat on stands, so that probably involves gravel, or some concrete pads, etc, that is the kind of thing I need to figure out I think. I'm too far away from the coast to even consider putting the boat into an established yard to work on it, the drive would be too far and I wouldn't get anything done.

Please support my
Old 03-25-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
That sounds like a good course of action. I am a few hundred miles from the closest marina, but I think talking to someone who does this for a living is a very good idea. One of my worries with the stands, besides getting them set up to hold the boat and not fall over, of course, is that the ground may not be the best for holding the boat, it is just a field. I assume I need to prep the site before even considering putting a boat on stands, so that probably involves gravel, or some concrete pads, etc, that is the kind of thing I need to figure out I think. I'm too far away from the coast to even consider putting the boat into an established yard to work on it, the drive would be too far and I wouldn't get anything done.
A hard pack surface or pad is best, but plenty of folks put boats in their yards/fields. The normal m.o. is to place 3/4+" plywood pads under the jackstands, to spread the load and avoid sinking in.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-25-2009
Vikingsailor

c40eb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
I've had our boat on dirt/hardpack...and used good sized wooden pads under each leg of the stands. Probably would not be a good idea in soft ground with mud potential. Got to keep an eye on washout and adjust the stands every once in a while to make sure they're tight.

s/v Cloudman
1988 Sabre 30
Old 03-25-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Another vote for a boat mover that has the versatile hydraulic trailer. In addition to being able to raise/lower the boat from blocks and stands, the axles split so they can drag the trailer out from under.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Windy,

Let me add to Jeff's note above that the hydraulic trailer of which he speaks is capable of picking up the boat and setting it down without any need for a crane or a travellift. A hydraulic trailer is what you want, assuming you have a paved or hardpack surface that the trailer can back into and set the boat down on.

If you have to get the vessel into a back yard with no access for the trailer, then it's a crane you'll be wanting.
Thank you Jeff and John, I'm so happy you guys are responding to my request for information, I know you both have a lot of experience in boating and I appreciate your input.

The site is basically just a field. Without modification there isn't a way to back a tractor trailer down into the spot, it'll have to sit on the road, so I think a crane is about my only option. Another option I suppose would be to modify the site so that a tractor trailer could back down into it but I'd really rather not do that if it can be avoided, it would be an unsightly mess with gravel all over the place.

Edit - wow, lots of responses, thank you all!

Please support my

Last edited by wind_magic; 03-25-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: addition