Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009

livnthedream is on a distinguished road
New Sailor in San Diego

So I am just finishing my ASA 101 and 103 courses and will be done this Friday! I am 25 and live in San Diego and decided I want to get into the sailing lifestyle am loving it so far!! I am now in my initial stages of looking for a boat to buy (35-40ft and $25k-60k) and will be wanting to live aboard. If anyone has any boat suggestions I am all ears!!! I really want to start sailing as often as I can and go on trips down into Mexico, possibly through Panama and sail to Hawaii. I figure the more experience the better so if anyone is in the So Cal area and is going on trips or needs a crew, IM DOWN!! Also, any boat buying advice would be appreciated

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2009

thesnort is on a distinguished road
Find a good surveyor for whatever boat you get serious about....and when you do, please pass on his/her info to me.
Old 03-25-2009

will do! I know my instructor has some local connections so I was going to go through him to get a surveyor to check it out. Ill keep you posted! and feel free to send any possible boats my way
Old 03-25-2009

thesnort is on a distinguished road
Shoot! I'm in love with multihulls, but, if I were single and looking for a smaller liveaboard coastal cruiser (monohull), I'd look at a Catalina 320. That would be at the higher end of your price range.
Old 03-25-2009

ok thanks! Ya, ive checked out a couple catamarans and love the look/layouts of them. If money wasnt an issue I would probably go with one, but for sure want to learn how to sail one and charter
Old 03-25-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
You might look at a Waquiez (sp?) Pretador or something like that. 35', known to cross oceans, priced in the area you have to work with.

J35 might also work, as I recall there is a cruising version vs a race version that is a bit better equipped.

If you like catalina's, I would look at the 36mkII before a 320 and to a degree the mkI 36. CD might have better idea's on that line.

If you find a jeanneau, the SO 35, 36, 37 or 40 might fit the bill too. Along with an older model the sunshine 36/38 designed by TOny Castro from the mid 80's. One that I know of did a nonstop circumnav a couple of yrs ago IIRC the model. That boat in the 80's did well in races too. So reasonably quick and ocean doable.

Marty
Old 03-25-2009

Hey Marty,

Thank you so much for the info!! I know that I did find a 1979 Wauquiez Hood 38' for $59,900 in Northern CA. Your thoughts?
Old 03-25-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Not off the top of my head the differences, but would swag a larger version of what I am thinking of.

Not sure if they are in your price range or not, a J37c would be another to look at too.

Just remember, the older they get, the potential to get really screwed shows up more, IE in refit costs, new sails, motor?!?! etc. When you get a survey, have a motor person come in and do an oil analysis on the motor and trans too. Cost about $300-400 or so, but cheaper than $10G for a new motor!
Old 03-25-2009
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Livn,

I'll go old school and suggest a Westsail 32. It would make a great liveaboard and is as seaworthy and capable of making the trek to Hawaii as any boat on the planet. They're not the fastest or most modern boat around, but they'll get you there in one piece and have the room of most 35'-40' boats on the inside. Plus, you should find multiple options to purchase one on the west coast.

Now I'll sit back and watch the "old shoe" comments come flying in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-25-2009

Hey Kwalter,

Thanks for the suggestion, ill have to check the Westsail out! I'm definitely looking for a boat that has a "big boat" feel on the inside