A Discussion of the Philosophies of Cruising and Circumnavigating - Page 9 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Wow CD, I though I was alone in the good fight. How wrong was I.

I think many labour saving devices are good seamanship - eg electric anchor winch, furlers, etc. I also know that the old arguement about using plotters or just paper charts will continue (we use both) BUT, if you need to make a decision immediately, a look at a plotter will tell you which way to turn to get out of trouble without taking any bearings and plotting on the chart and then deciding may get you at the same point,only slower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewsam View Post
Oh i'm all for electronics, don't get me wrong in that respect, I'd be a silly man not to use what's available...but i'll rely on myself and my skills to make the passage safer...

As for those great seamen of yesteryear, it's also useful remember that for most it wasn't a hobby but their livelihood...
Quite true... and for many it was not a profession of their choosing. Still, outstanding seamanship (and maybe some that was not so outstanding!!!)

You will do fine!!

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-27-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
CD,

Maybe that should be Mr. CD? Talk about hitting the mark....WOW

Even Magellan took every modern instrument, and tool he could afford, and I think ice sounds lovely in my glass tinkling as I watch a sunset....lololol....i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 04-27-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
CD,

Maybe that should be Mr. CD? Talk about hitting the mark....WOW

Even Magellan took every modern instrument, and tool he could afford, and I think ice sounds lovely in my glass tinkling as I watch a sunset....lololol....i2f
I believe this is related... so I will just tell you that Ice was one of the most valued commodities on our boat!!!! A friend of ours used to hand his wife one ice cube for their drink, plop it in her glass, and tell her, "Now, do you realize how much diesel that is!??"

HEHE! I love it.

I also remember this sailor we met in the Tortugas. He was telling us that he had just gotten back from the bahamas and this motor boat pulled up. Apparently his freezer had frozen up so the MB chipped off the ice and threw it overboard (in front of everyone). THeir was nothing short of a lynch mob around his boat demanding he give it away next time or swim back to the US!!!

Ice... you just cannot appreciate it until you have spent a long time without it!! And I wouldn't jiggle that glass infront of too many sailors in a hot anchorage! You will end up like that motor boater!

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-27-2009

I wouldn't taunt a hungry dog, or a sailor lacking ice, but when it's hot, and the sun setting. There's a glass on the table in the cockpit full of ice. The ice cracks, and tinkles. It almost seems too decadent compared to my first cruising experience on my first boat.... ...i2f

Old 04-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You monohull bigot... you forgot the Polynesians...

BTW, on another forum, I wrote:

Quote:
One thing Iíve noticed is that as the size of the boats has gone up, the average seamanship has gone down. This may be partially due to a lot of the larger boats being basically floating condos that were bought as status symbols by people with more income than sailing experience and were bought for the lifestyle, rather than to be actually sailed.

If you look at a lot of the newer boats, especially the higher production volume boats, you'll see an emphasis on open interior layouts with huge double berths, high head room, and a fair bit of automation that is IMHO fairly unnecessary, were the boat designed properly. These boats, while very pretty, donít have the stowage, the handholds or decent sea berths to make a serious passage in comfort and safety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that philosophy. Period. And that is what this discussion is about - different ways of doing things. And let us not forget that the seas were sailed for hundreds (thousands) of years without any of the things we have today. Yet, I feel the emphasis of such illustrations should be less "wow, they did it so can I" and more, "Dang! THose guys were outstanding sailors.... the lost art of true seamanship... tougher than nails... very lucky."

There is also no shortage of shipwrecks laying on the bottom of the ocean from Egyptian Rafts, Carthaginian quadriremes, Roman triremes, English/French Frigates, late day wooden schooners, the Titanic, frieghters, and many more private vessels of which nothing will ever be found of ship or crew. I believe that many of the modern day devices and electronics make the oceans safer and the crew and captain safer. Yes, they are likely used as a crutch more than a tool - but therein lies the ultimate debate: to take or not to take. And more importantly, how will you use them? Will they suplement already outstanding seamaship skills? Or, will they keep you from having to develop them in the first place? Who knows. It depends on the captain and his philosophies. Thus, this thread: The Philosophies of Cruising and Circum. That is why I feel a good discussion of those philosophies merits a place in this forum.

- CD

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-27-2009

The Polynesians, my ancestors, used dolphins, birds, and whales for direction at times when lost due to cloud cover, and change in wind direction for too long. They slowly changed the fresh drinking water with adding salt water. These people were real minimilist... ....i2f

Old 04-27-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Regarding boat size and seamanship... my opinions:

I feel that boats have gotten bigger because of the systems involved. Whether the seamanship has gone down?? I don't know. Possibly. I believe it is more a function of the equipment you can afford on larger boats than the boat size (if that makes sense)?

I do think that the boats of today are much more comfortable. I think that it has allowed people that could not (or would not) have gone sailing/cruising before, to go now. Perhaps these people should never have gone in the first place? Me, I am glad to see them out there (with some exceptions). I have also seen people stay into sailing longer. From roller furlings, electric winches, windlass, etc... it has allowed people to maintain their passion while losing physical strength due to age.

Of course, that has come at a trade off. I agree with the comments above about many boats being well suited (out of the box) as a great marina boat and poor cruiser or anything outside of the showroom. Compare, for example, the inside of a Tayana or Valiant against a Bene, Catalina, or Hunter ( to pick on production boats a moment). The Tayana will have fiddle boards everywhere and lots of closed cabinetry with few open shelves. Why? What good are open shelves in a sailboat unless she never sails!!??? Drives me bonkers. But when you pack in all these cabinets on a boat, you can make a big fat boat real small quickly (at least to an untrained eye). So people go on these boats at the boat show and buy for the big open space and shelves, where flower will go, and pillows, and tv's, and decorations. I have seen it sooooo many times. THere is nothing wrong with a home like touch to a boat, but if you have to spend an hour or two stowing crap just to go for a short sail, you will never sail.

On the flip side of that argument, I think that open, comfortable floor plans have been too poorly regarded in many offshore boats. Yes, it is true that those open plans can get you hurt on a crossing - but it is also true that the crossings of the world make up only a very small percentage of your time aboard. I will say that it would be easier to rig an open floor plan boat down below to make it safer for a hard crossing than it is to take a tight little uncomfortable boat and make it comfortable at anchor.

I honestly think that many people do not put enough empahsis into making their boat comfortable and get burnt out on tight living space. A comfortable boat is mandatory for cruising in my opinion. I'm not out there to prove anything. What could I prove anyways? It has all been done already by better people than me. I am out there to see the world, the people, the cultures, and be a part of nature while sharing it with my family. I wish to do that in at least some level of comfort (at last what I can afford). And for the floating condo's comment, let me just tell you that you cannot make ANY boat, especially anywhere near 40 feet or smaller, an apartment or condo. Ain't gonna happen. What do you have in that boat... a couple hundred sf at best?? How much of that is taken up with cabinetry and furniture??

I remember Tom Neale talking about this and it is funny how closely we agree on things. There were many times we would motor to weather instead of sailing because we did not want crap flying everywhere. I know we are not supposed to talk about that on sailing forums... but at least I am being honest!! I will do it still! Again, I have nothing to prove and have done my hard time on the rail. I practice every once in a while... but I think it is more to fool myself into thinking I can handle it than when the real stuff hits. I am no expert. I learn something new all the time. But I have also learned over the years what does and does not work for us. Others feel different and I wish them all the fun their boats and wives will take.

- CD

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 04-27-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
The Polynesians, my ancestors, used dolphins, birds, and whales for direction at times when lost due to cloud cover, and change in wind direction for too long. They slowly changed the fresh drinking water with adding salt water. These people were real minimilist... ....i2f
Is that true about adding the salt water?? I had never heard that. Incredible.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-27-2009

Possibly............. .....i2f......yes sir it is true

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.