Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
Survey and Sea Trial scheduled for next week

Holy cow, this is actually happening. I can't believe the Anal Retentive Engineer has actually decided on a boat. This from the man who rejected literally 38 of the houses I had narrowed down for him as being "insert expletive here". Its bigger than I wanted but he seems sold on it.

The ARE is going to be present at the survey. Wonder if I should warn the surveyor the ARE was a safety inspector for DNV for 10 years? Poor surveyor, I should probably buy him some whiskey for after the survey. I think he will need it.

Fingers crossed...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Good luck! I'm guessing you'll keep us all posted!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-27-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
More information on the boat please.....inquiring mind want to know.....i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-27-2009
Big Chicken Baby

I'm not going to jinx it just yet.I promise full disclosure once the deal goes through. Getting the ARE to this point is nothing short of a miracle but after going through the home buying process with him 3.5 years ago, I am leary.

I think its gonna be a done deal unless the surveyor finds a major problem the ARE missed or the broker says the wrong thing and ticks off my husband. The ARE is the reason his fellow Scotsmen have a reputation for having short tempers. lol
Old 03-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good luck Mimsy... Let us know how it goes.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-01-2009
Big Chicken Baby

The survey apparently went ok because I just got a call from the husband to get to the marina for the sea trail. Worst case scenario, I get to go sailing for couple of hours.
Old 04-01-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Keeping the fingers crossed for ya...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-02-2009
Big Chicken Baby

It was a nice little sail and we found a surveyor we feel completely comfortable with. We also found a boat that I am very glad we are walking away from.
Best money we have ever spent was on the surveyor!
Ah well, the hunt continues...
Old 04-02-2009
Telstar 28

Why are you walking away from the boat if the survey went well??

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-02-2009
Big Chicken Baby

The survey went well as in it was thorough. Apparently, the husband was being polite or he just figured since he paid for it all he might as well take me out. lol

Let's see, we knew the whole boat needed rewiring before the survey. We knew the generator was in an awkward position.What we didn't know was that the engine would run hot and smoke, the hull would have impact damage of some sort below the waterline, the keel would be "suspect", the chain plates would be in bad shape, the shroud cracked, leaking port lights, the windlass would be improperly wired rendering it useless, the plumbing needs to be redone because as it is it doesn't work, the main sail ripped, etc, etc.

If we were looking to spend the next two years doingnothing but working on a project boat we might consider it. Trouble is, we want to sail. The only reason we looked at this one was because the husband likes the way it looked at the dock. It does have very, very attractive lines but I would rather go for ugly, sturdy, safe and "fit for purpose".

I've got my choice to go look at today...we have time, lots of time.