Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2009

lostappilation is on a distinguished road
What is comparable to a hunter 41 ds?

I spnt the night on a sailboat forthe first time last night. My intro sailing lesson has left my head spinning, but I finaly feel that I can ask a few inteligent questions. I fell in love with the with the boat( a bermuda rigged hunter 41 deck salon) and I was wondering what else is availible simalar to it?
also if I am eventualy going to sail a boat of this type, what would be a good trailerable boat to learn to sail on? I'm a compleete newbie to sailing, but I was immpressed with the speed, performence and ease of opperation of the boat, and I thought the ammenities were out of this world. how does this boat compare to others on the market?
Thanks for all your help
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostappilation View Post
I spnt the night on a sailboat forthe first time last night. My intro sailing lesson has left my head spinning, but I finaly feel that I can ask a few inteligent questions. I fell in love with the with the boat( a bermuda rigged hunter 41 deck salon) and I was wondering what else is availible simalar to it?
also if I am eventualy going to sail a boat of this type, what would be a good trailerable boat to learn to sail on? I'm a compleete newbie to sailing, but I was immpressed with the speed, performence and ease of opperation of the boat, and I thought the ammenities were out of this world. how does this boat compare to others on the market?
Thanks for all your help
A 35+ footer is not even remotely trailerable. I think the limits end around 30 some feet (more like 21 foot for non-commercial towing). You'll find that various boat have different amenities - the smaller they go - less. Just how it works. You'll need to spend some time going through yachtworld.com or visiting boats. Learning to sail - that is another issue. Personally, I had I done it again - I would never have started on a 27 but jumped for my 38. Hindsight is dangerous - but when owning a boat it comes to what I call two different components. Docking and Manuevering... and the actual sailing.

Larger the boat is the more freeboard and a whole new set of handling comes with docking. When sailing - the larger sails etc - introduce you even more quickly to sailing safely...

Your first impression was comfort and a good ride.. it comes at a price (and usually not one comparable to your wallett.)

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-28-2009

Smething like the 41 is what I want eventualy. I plan to live on a boat while working on St. Thomas. I will not be moving down there until sept 2010 and plan to purchase a boat around that time in the 100 to 200k price range. in the mean time I want to learn to sail on a trailerable boat suitable for weekend trips on area lakes and maybee a trip or 2 to the keys or coatsal sc.
I don't want to spend a fortune on te short term boat. a new hunter 27 for example could serve my purpose but I'd rather not spend that much on a boat to learn to sail in and only use for 18 months or so. my price range for the second boat has changed since my first post because at the time i posted that I had no idea how much boats cost. but I still want to spend as little as possible on the first boat and still meet my needs
Old 03-28-2009
..........huh?..

Izzy1414 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostappilation View Post
if I am eventualy going to sail a boat of this type, what would be a good trailerable boat to learn to sail on?
Lost,

I'm not sure there is a small boat that would specifically prepare you for the larger boat you are thinking of getting in the future. As Jody said, each has its own set of traits that have to be mastered. That said, sailing is sailing, and the expriences you gain while learning to sail on the smaller boat will translate to the larger boat when you get there. My advice to you is just pick your first boat that best fits your needs now and get out there and sail.

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy
Old 03-30-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
A Catalina 22 would be an ideal starter for you....also... depending on where you are and whether they are available... CS 22, C&C 24, Nonsuch 22, Tanzer 22, O'day 21/22 (whatever they made in that range), actually pretty much any 22 foot boat without a deep keel can be trailered. Learning to sail is a pretty generic process for the first couple of years...doesn't make a huge difference what you learn on.

Good Luck !.
Old 03-30-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The problem with going with a lot of the smaller trailerable boats is that they won't have the same systems, even on a limited scale, that your future larger boat would have. Many trailerable boats won't have a true marine head—having a porta-pottie instead. Many won't have an inboard diesel, using an outboard as an auxiliary motor. Many won't have shorepower systems and very few will have refrigeration of any sort.

You've really got two separate questions here:

Question 1 is: "What small sailboat, preferably trailerable, should I get to learn to sail on and use for the next few years?"

It would seriously help if you said where you were located. In many areas, getting a trailerable boat is a necessity, in others, you could easily keep the boat on a mooring or in a slip and gain much more sailing time by doing so. Having to launch, rig, de-rig and haul a trailerable boat makes short afternoon daysails almost impossible. My boat, even though it is technically a trailerable boat, is kept in the water for just that reason.

This is really the important of the two questions, since the wrong choice of boat to learn on will effect your sailing in the future.

Question 2 is: "What boats are comparable to the Hunter 41DS?"

I wouldn't bother even asking the second question until you're about ready to buy that boat or its equivalent, as the available boats will probably have changed somewhat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-30-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-30-2009

I am in northeast tn. a trailerable boat is not a necesity but it will allow alot more versitility. their are numerous lakes in the area. and a trailerable boat would also allow me to travel to other locations.

As for the second boat, I plan to purchase it 18-24 months from now, and I am currently reasearching my options.