Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2002

drynoc is on a distinguished road
Trying this again

Tut, tut. I know there has to be someone on this board (and there are probably quite a few) who know something of the Precision and Freedom boat lines. The Precisions that were at the Annapolis show seem awfully inexpensive for new boats, and the Freedom''s offered for sail on the used market seem costly. Why should this be? Are they good sailors?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2002

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Trying this again

I have limited knowledge of both boats, but will offer my general observations.

I have seen some Precision boats in the 20-25'' range, and they seem to sail reasonably well. They strike me as being designed primarily for inland lake, bay and close-in coastal sailing.

I have also seen a Freedom 21 and 25. Freedoms are really good at sailing off the wind and they are extraordinarily easy to single-hand, but they generally do not sail well to windward. Sometimes a small headsail is rigged on them, to help them sail to windward. Freedoms are somewhat expensive, and I have always heard that they are reasonably well constructed. Freedoms come in sizes ranging up into the over 40 foot categories, and the bigger ones were touted by their builder to be blue water capable. Personally, I wouldn''t know.

That''s about all I can tell you.
Old 10-28-2002

SloopSailor is on a distinguished road
Trying this again

The Precisions are nice boats for lake sailing, light costal cruising. They are not heavily built, but tend to be friendly under sail. Nice boats--not great boats.

The Freedoms are a different story. Built with free standing carbon fiber masts, very large sails. They are quick off the wind, but don''t point terribly high. They have a tremendous amount of cabin space for their size due to the forward mounted mast. They are well built and have a good reputation. The smaller ones are not for blue water work, some of the larger ones are.

Comparing these two is apples and oranges--totally different boats, very little similarities.