Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009

warrenlennox is on a distinguished road
Wow! Sound advice everyone, love the input......and I'm going to use it.....

It does seem that experience is going to be more important than anything else on this trip. I think my next step will be two try and find people and clubs sailing in Orange County, CA where I am and start getting into the sailing world. After a few months my knowledge will increase and I will definitely be in a better position to purchase a boat. I then plan to rent my house out and move onto it permanently and start getting the exp you are all talking about.

If there is anyone that knows of someone who could get me involved down at Long Beach, Newport or anywhere close to those, please let me know. Could be an individual who has a boat and looking for someone to learn from them or club, however reading most of the sailing clubs memberships involvements here, there seems to be a long waiting list to get in anywhere and mostly a large initial fee.

Lastly, the trip thru the Pacific seems to make the most sense. Been doing some reading on pirates and anywhere around Africa or the equator for that matter seems to be bad. My route will roughly be from Cali to Aus/NZ to SA to avoid all this rubbish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
You might want to check for boats for sale in the upper Sea of Cortez, and Cabo. You could get it trucked overland, and you might save a ton of money from the northern part of Cortez. You could always sail north in Cortez if you find one in Cabo, and then truck it.

You do not want to sail north on the western side of Baja. It is called the Baja Bash, and it's called this for a reason.....i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2009

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Warrenlennox, the best and the fastest way to break into the SoCal sailing scene is to call Dr. Laura on her radio show. Really. She is a big time sailor and is really well respected and connected in the SoCal sailing scene (she is a member of at least two clubs). She might even find a spot for you on one of her boats!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.