Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009

warrenlennox is on a distinguished road
Advice on Blue Water Cruising

Hi Everyone,

Firstly, great website...loads of good info and advice which I have been reading for the last few weeks.

I would like to start a new thread on my future plans and hopefully have great input from all you experienced sailors out there in helping me make my choices here on end.

I plan on sailing from Newport Beach, CA to Durban, South Africa. Time of journey is not important...making it there is.

My situation:
Will have $1500 per month to live off
Have not sailed before, but always been a keen deep sea fisherman
Realized that I need a 30-40ft boat to complete the journey.
Will be two males friends (6"2, Iím 5"8)
Both of us know nothing about sailing, but learn very quickly!
Have a budget of about $20000-$30000 for the boat.
Realize the problems and seriousness of what this involves!

My questions and please add anything you see fit:
Research says do not buy a HunterÖ.what is good for such a voyage?
What type (make, model and year) of boat should I be looking to buy? Woulod need to accommodate two men. (Close friends)
Whatís the best route to take? Iím in no rush.....
What are the best requirements the boat should have...from initial investigation...head, shower, two double beds, solar, refrigeration, fresh water maker and the usual radios, safety...what else? Donít want to need for something I should have thought about before!
How long should I expect the journey to last if I decided to cross the Atlantic from Panama?

I know there is loads Iíve missed out on but if we could get the ball rollingÖ..please say anything you think is relevant...I havenít bought a boat yet and trying to get my head around everything I would need to undertake to complete this journey/experience and all your valuable input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2009

Need To Cross the Atlantic Cali to South Africa

Hi Everyone,

Firstly, great website...loads of good info and advice which I have been reading for the last few weeks.

I would like to start a new thread on my future plans and hopefully have great input from all you experienced sailors out there in helping me make my choices here on end.

I plan on sailing from Newport Beach, CA to Durban, South Africa. Time of journey is not important...making it there is.

My situation:
Will have $1500 per month to live off
Have not sailed before, but always been a keen deep sea fisherman
Realized that I need a 30-40ft boat to complete the journey.
Will be two males friends (6"2, Iím 5"8)
Both of us know nothing about sailing, but learn very quickly!
Have a budget of about $20000-$30000 for the boat.
Realize the problems and seriousness of what this involves!

My questions and please add anything you see fit:
Research says do not buy a HunterÖ.what is good for such a voyage?
What type (make, model and year) of boat should I be looking to buy? Woulod need to accommodate two men. (Close friends)
Whatís the best route to take? Iím in no rush.....
What are the best requirements the boat should have...from initial investigation...head, shower, two double beds, solar, refrigeration, fresh water maker and the usual radios, safety...what else? Donít want to need for something I should have thought about before!
How long should I expect the journey to last if I decided to cross the Atlantic from Panama?

I know there is loads Iíve missed out on but if we could get the ball rollingÖ..please say anything you think is relevant...I havenít bought a boat yet and trying to get my head around everything I would need to undertake to complete this journey/experience and all your valuable input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-31-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
First question that comes to mind is, how long until you plan to set out? Your thread is titled "Need To Cross etc..." Does this mean you need to go for a specific purpose?

If not then you'll probably want to use your first year at least getting to know your boat and getting the emergency procedures to be second nature, both for you and your friend. As a fisherman you've probably experienced your share of bad weather, but you'll need to retool your skill set for a sailboat. If you don't have time constraints then your time will be best spent practicing with shorter coastal hops in preparation for the big trip, regardless of what boat you end up getting.

On the question of "which boat", there's a list of bluewater boats somewheres on this forum. It's pretty long, but a lot of the boats on the list can be crossed off right away because they're very difficult to find in some areas (assuming you want to buy a boat that's already relatively nearby). And your budget doesn't leave much room to be picky. Make sure you read the caveats at the beginning of the thread. Basically there's no universal answer to the question of which boat... or a lot of the other questions you've posed

Lots of things go into making a good bluewater boat and there's no shortage of opinions and experiences archived on this forum, so look around. Most important thing is that you and your crew are comfortable handling her. Best of luck and welcome to SailNet.
Old 03-31-2009
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Welcome to Sailnet.

The list Adamlein refers to above can be found at
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying...ry-2008-a.html

I would sugggest having a good read through it, it will give you a starting point on finding suitable boats. Your right you won't find too many Hunters on it.

There are plenty of boats from 28' through to 50' that would suit the needs of two guys depending on your individual requirements. Plenty of opnions too on which one would be best, ultimately it's your deciision, make it an informed one and don't rush into it.

To state the obvious you also need to gain and build on your sailing experience, I would say as your first priority.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Given your rather spare budget, I would recommend you look for a smaller boat, say 30-35' LOA, but reserve about $10,000 of the $30,000 for refitting, upgrading and equipping whatever boat you decide to buy. I would look at James Baldwin's Boat List for a "pocket" bluewater cruiser, rather than the list on this forum which focusses on mainly larger bluewater boats.

I would also highly recommend the two of you take at least a basic ASA 101 learn to sail course. Given that neither of you know how to sail, this is a requirement IMHO. I would also recommend you get whatever boat you're looking to make the voyage in and spend at least six months sailing her on coastal cruises and slowly getting to know the boat, and how she handles in different kinds of conditions.

Quote:
What’s the best route to take? I’m in no rush.....
There are three routes you could possibly go. First is down to the Panama Canal and then out into the Caribbean and across the Atlantic. The second is around Cape Horn at the southern tip of South America and across the Atlantic to South Africa. The last is west across the Pacific and then through the Indian Ocean to Africa from the west side. Each of these has its difficulties and challenges, and each has its advantages/disadvantages.

Quote:
What are the best requirements the boat should have...from initial investigation...head, shower, two double beds, solar, refrigeration, fresh water maker and the usual radios, safety...what else? Don’t want to need for something I should have thought about before!
Most smaller boats aren't going to have a shower, then again, most smaller boats don't have the fresh water capacity to handle having a shower. If you're expecting to get a boat with an shower for your budget, you might really want to re-think things. It probably isn't going to be happening.

You don't want two double beds... again, you don't seem to understand what the situation is. What you'll need is two good sea berths. Sea berths, by their nature, have to be fairly narrow. Pilot or quarter berths would be excellent. Most smaller boats aren't going to have two full cabins either. The v-berth, which is the forward cabin will likely be relegated to stowage for the duration of the voyage, since sleeping in a v-berth on an ocean passage can be less than comfortable.

An RO watermaker would be a luxury, and I suggest not relying on it. You should always have sufficient water in tanks or jugs to last out the voyage. If you were thinking of making water as you go, that's not generally a safe idea.

Refrigeration is expensive on a small boat, and requires the boat to have battery banks far larger than would otherwise be necessary. It is not a necessity, and many long-distance cruisers do without it.

Quote:
Unfortunately, sailboats are somewhat limited in their choices of passages they can make. If you were to look at the normal winds, a passage from Panama to South Africa would generally entail three partial crossings of the Atlantic ocean. You would go from Panama across the Caribbean, to the USA and then East-NorthEast to the Azores. From the Azores you would head south to the Canaries and then south west towards South America, and then from South America, usually from Rio De Janiero via Tristan Da Cunha to Cape Town. While you can go from the Canaries to Cape Town, it is nearly 5000 miles non-stop, and not a voyage to take lightly—going from the Canaries to Brazil is usually a much better bet at 3600 miles.

While you could go from Panama, along the South American coast to Rio, I would advise against that. First, you'll be going through some of the more heavily pirate infested waters doing that route. Second, you'll be sailing upwind against the Northeasterly trade winds, with South America as a lee shore, which is not a safe undertaking. Then you'd be sailing south against the Southeasterly tradewinds with the coast again as a lee shore.

Since you're starting out on the West Coast, going the long way around might actually be easier and faster. Going across the Pacific to the Southern Pacific, Australia and New Zealand then across the Indian ocean to South Africa may make a lot more sense. It would also avoid having to do a Panama Canal Transit, which is getting fairly expensive and increasingly difficult to do in a small sailboat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-31-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Please don't start multiple threads on the exact same topic... it's tacky and rude.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-31-2009

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
That budget is low for purchasing a decent blue water boat. I'm sure it has been done before, but it will take a lot of work to get a boat within that budget up to snuff.

But while I am calling the budget low, it is still a lot of money. Maybe it would make some sense to spend some time on boats of that size (by volunteering to crew for local racers) before you make that kind of investment.
Old 03-31-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
That and the fact that you'll be bucking the trades all the way across if ya try to go straight there. You'd be better served to go East towards England and then drop South.
Old 03-31-2009
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinRI View Post
That budget is low for purchasing a decent blue water boat. I'm sure it has been done before, but it will take a lot of work to get a boat within that budget up to snuff.

But while I am calling the budget low, it is still a lot of money. Maybe it would make some sense to spend some time on boats of that size (by volunteering to crew for local racers) before you make that kind of investment.
Oh I think I could find a suitable boat and make the trip safely on that budget. A rank newbie, however, could spend ten times as much and still make the headlines while failing, in a spectacular way, to reach his destination.

Due diligence, Warren, and good luck.

Latest video added March 27th

Old 03-31-2009

excellent suggestion sailing Dog. If i were to go east towards Eng and then drop south....how long would this take? Just trying to get a feel for the time it takes to sail that distance?