Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009
Iroquois MkII

LookingForCruiser is on a distinguished road
bought me a catamaran!

My offer was accepted and I'm buying a 40-year old Iroquois catamaran!

Now I need to change my name from "LookingForCruiser" to something more appropriate

"LookingForSurveyor"
"LookingForInsurance"
"LookingForShipping"

At least I won't be "LookingForMooring", that's all taken care of...

The boat is up in Ontario, and I'm down in Massachusetts, so I'm going to need to find a surveyor and shipping company. Does anybody have recommendations for surveyors in Midland, ON, and for shipping companies that can transport at 13' 6" beam boat ?

And how do I change my name from "LookingForCruiser" ? I'm not looking anymore ...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
WELCOME to the dark side....lolololol

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-01-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Congratulations, and where you planning on keeping the beastie...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-01-2009
Iroquois MkII

I'll be keeping the boat in Marion.
Old 04-01-2009

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Oh.. Oh.... Another speedster to watch out for besides 'The Dog' when I head up to Buzzards Bay Congrats !!
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 04-01-2009

dergon is on a distinguished road
Congrats...... All I've ever done on a Cat is one day of ASA114 ...but man are they fun.
Old 04-01-2009
Iroquois MkII

I think I might sail a bit on the conservative side to start with, so no problems getting knocked down by my wake for this season at least!

I feel very blessed by God to find a vessel I can afford that my wife likes. My grin is ear-to-ear right now.

Now comes the logistics part... insurance, closing, customs, taxes, shipping, registering with USCG, and I don't know what else because I'm totally ignorant right now...
Old 04-01-2009

teddier1 is on a distinguished road
I hope you bought it contingent on a survey
Old 04-01-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A couple of excellent books I'd recommend for you are:

Chris White's The Cruising Multihull, which, although getting a bit long in tooth, is an excellent book for anyone interested in multihulls.

Mike Mullen's Multihull Seamanship is also an excellent book to get. It really details the differences between sailing a monohull and sailing a multihull.

There are a few things you do have to keep in mind when sailing a multihull that are very different than when sailing a monohull.

For example: reefing the sails is much more important on a multihull. Unlike a monohull, a multihull can't heel much to bleed off the excess wind strength. This is why a multihull generally reefs for the wind gust speeds rather than average wind speed. When a gust hits a multihull, it can't be over-canvassed, since the monohull just heels, but the multihull can't do that.

Another thing to keep in mind is the difference in apparent wind that can come up when sailing a multihull. The difference is far greater than what you might see on a monohull. For instance, say you're on a catamaran sailing downwind in 20 knots of true wind. You might be on a broad reach and doing 14 knots. That means the apparent wind on the boat is about 6 knots or so. Now, in 6 knots of wind, you can have an awful lot of sail up and not be overpowered. Say you have the full 150% genny and mainsail up.

Now you come about to head upwind—the apparent wind jumps from 6 knots to 20 knots... and then the boat starts to move... now you're doing 14 knots upwind on close reach.... the apparent wind has jumped from 6 knots to over 30, and you've still got the full main and 150% genny up, and you're going to get into trouble really quickly if you don't reduce sail.

On a multihull, you have to think about what the true wind speed is, and how much sail you have up, long before you turn upwind. On a monohull of the same LOA as the Iroquois, you might be doing 7 knots on a beam reach, instead of 12, and have an apparent wind of 13 knots or so... and then when you turn up wind, you might make 8 knots, and have an apparent wind of 28 knots or so... or about an 110% increase in wind speed. The same conditions on the Iroquois might result in a 300% increase in wind speeds.. Just some food for thought.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-01-2009
Iroquois MkII

Sounds complicated, I'll just turn the dial down on the wind meter. Alternatively, I could put a mast on the bottom so if I flip, I just keep going.

I should become a naval architect with ideas as good as these!

Sorry I'm still giddy from the offer acceptance

I'll hit Amazon.com and pick those books up, thanks!

[edit - yes the offer is contingent on a survey!]

Last edited by LookingForCruiser; 04-01-2009 at 08:34 PM.