Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009

Tackinback is on a distinguished road
Anyone sail Col. 351's?

Given a smaller budget to work with, maybe 35 - 40 K I have noticed a few Columbia 351's around. Allan Payne designed, similar keel / skeg-rudder to the Pacific Seacraft 34, look sturdy ?? & called the "wide body super-cruiser". Anyone sail one of these? If so, Impressions?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2009

MattRHay is on a distinguished road
You know a nice offshore boat in that price range if you are lucky is the Hallberg Rassy Munson. There is one on yachtworld for only k20!
Old 07-13-2009
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
I'm going to plug the Tartan 37. Having owned one for the last 15 years, I am concinced that this is one boat that you can purchase for around 50k, put another 20k into upgrades and safety, and for 70k, you have a fantastic boat that can take you to the far reaches without breaking the budget. She looks fairly modern, eventhough the design is 33 years old, sails beautifully, can singlehand easily, has a great displacement/length ratio of 48%, shoal draft, Sparkman/Stevens design....I could go on......
Old 07-16-2009

gentryd is on a distinguished road
There's a Morgan 382 in Mobile, AL craigslist for $30,500.00 and an Allied Princess 36 in Houston for 15K rght now
Old 07-16-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackinback View Post
Given a smaller budget to work with, maybe 35 - 40 K I have noticed a few Columbia 351's around. Allan Payne designed, similar keel / skeg-rudder to the Pacific Seacraft 34, look sturdy ?? & called the "wide body super-cruiser". Anyone sail one of these? If so, Impressions?
Thanks!
I sailed on the Columbia 351 (More commonly called a Columbia 10.7) when they were new and helped a fellow commission one. I thought they were pretty crummy designs. I was a fan of Allan Payne, but these were just plain poor designs. They also did not seem to be built all that well, and were part of the 'wide body' line of boats that brought down two venerable companied, first Columbia and then Hughes Northstar Aura.

They are certainly not what the OP was looking for. You find them for sale cheaply for a good reason.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-16-2009 at 01:37 PM.