Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009

bacampbe is on a distinguished road
Bene 31 vs Hunter 33

I took a look at a beneteau 31 and a hunter 33 over the weekend. We're looking for something late model for Dallas area lake use, thus the production boats. Due to some crazy wind (I imagine the same front that caught our friends on Matagorda Bay) there was no actual sailing involved.

I've found very little in the way of reviews on the Beneteau 31, other than the speak-no-evil big magazine reviews. Does anyone own or have experience with one?

I know I'm comparing a 31 to a 33, but from an asking price perspective, they aren't that far apart.

Fit and finish was just fair on both, but probably good enough for our purposes.

From what I could tell sitting still, the Hunter was more liveable below decks (of course it's a bit bigger but I think there's more to it than that.), but the Bene seemed more "sailable". The Hunter had lots more storage below. I'm not sure you could store a standard sized dinner plate on the Bene. I really liked how the Hunter has all the through-hulls under a single panel in the cabin sole. It also had little things like extra 12V outlets in the cabins. I was surprise to find this particular instance had a fixed cooktop, microwave, but no regular oven.

OTOH, the Bene had _lots_ of cockpit storage, and lots of clever features from the companion way on out. The hull shape and more conventional rig would probably make for better sailing--although the beneteau's spreaders sweep back more than I have seen on any non B&R rig.

Last edited by bacampbe; 04-06-2009 at 07:51 PM. Reason: fixed some typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
This is largely a matter of personal preference as the differences are not that great. Also, don't knock the B&R rig as it has many advantages and only one drawback when sailing DDW which is neither efficient or safe.
Old 04-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
This is largely a matter of personal preference as the differences are not that great. Also, don't knock the B&R rig as it has many advantages and only one drawback when sailing DDW which is neither efficient or safe.
I guess it's all guessing unless someone with experience with the Bene 31 chimes in, but do you think the Hunter, with it's smaller headsail, with point as well as the Bene? Will it handle light air (common on area lakes, although the last couple of days make it hard to believe) as well? I notice that the Hunter hull is wider towards the bottom--probably a good bit of what makes it so roomy. Will that make the motion underway more or less comfortable?

If the two really have comparable performance, then the better creature comforts of the Hunter may matter more.
Old 04-06-2009

Oops, I just realized I posted this in general discussion, rather than the new boat section where I intended to put it. I'd appreciate it if a moderator would move it, if it is appropriate to do so.
Old 04-06-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
what years on the boats?
Old 04-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
what years on the boats?
The one's I looked at were both new (2009). The current Hunter 33 has been around a few years, but I gather the Beneteau 31 is a new model.
Old 04-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
Oops, I just realized I posted this in general discussion, rather than the new boat section where I intended to put it. I'd appreciate it if a moderator would move it, if it is appropriate to do so.
And, of course, by "new boat", I meant "buying a boat".
Old 04-07-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
I guess it's all guessing unless someone with experience with the Bene 31 chimes in, but do you think the Hunter, with it's smaller headsail, with point as well as the Bene? Will it handle light air (common on area lakes, although the last couple of days make it hard to believe) as well? I notice that the Hunter hull is wider towards the bottom--probably a good bit of what makes it so roomy. Will that make the motion underway more or less comfortable?

If the two really have comparable performance, then the better creature comforts of the Hunter may matter more.

Regarding pointing, the main driving force on any boat comes from the mainsail which is typically larger on a B&R rigged boat which is one of it's advantages both in light air and in overall handling. You will find yourself sailing on just the main as the headsail serves only to aide when you want the slot to help.
There has been much written on the various comparisons of the traditionally rigged vs. B&R which you may want to research or just look at most of the high-end racing boats to see what these designers have concluded in going with B&R rigs.
Neither is ideal as either are a compromise but in your situation when you have no compelling need to go DDW for prolonged periods, the decision is largely one of convenience.
Neither hull shape will create any significantly disparate handling issues and the only noticeable difference may be some pounding with the relatively flat Bene hull.
Old 04-07-2009

Doing a few calculations, I find the Hunter, with the classic mast, has a pretty good SA/D ration (20.99) which surprisingly beats the Beneteau (18.99). The Hunter with the furling mast comes in at 18.2. Unfortunately, Beneteau does not publish sail area for the furling mast, but I assume it is lower.

Both dealers are pushing furling mains pretty hard. I have mixed emotions on them, but can see some real advantages for short-handed sailing. (My wife knows how to sail, but lacks the strength to raise a heavy main by herself.) Given that one of the big B&R rig advantages is to make it easier to carry fully roached mainsails, do you think it would be more impacted by mast-furling than a standard rig?
Old 04-07-2009

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
One of the things I like about Hunter is the smart way they made use of locker spaces and ease for DIY installation of AC, cold-plate(fridge/freezer) and other electronics. The H33 comes with Owner's Manual that shows everything you need know about the boat and even the electrical diagram and plumbings etc....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.