Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
Sea Trial Tomorrow

We've switched our approach a bit since this will be boat number 4 that we are putting a contigent offer in on. Since this boat is represented by the same broker as the boat we just passed on, he and the owner are cool with us doing the sea trial first before shelling out for another survey.

If the ARE likes the way this one sails,I think its going to do fine on the survey and we might actually be done looking after only 2 years.

The last survey and sea trial, well I knew going into it that it was going to be a no go before we were done looking at the first time. It was too big for a start but far be it from me to squash a dream- let the surveyor do that.

Details on the boat to follow, again with the fear of jinxing the deal.
I am getting to sail on a bunch of different boats so that's a positive,right?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Yep and after being involved in a survey or two, you start to get a feel what to look for on your own as well. Good luck.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 04-07-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good luck Mimsy...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-07-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Always best to look on the bright side.

If this new approach doesn't work out, maybe step back and reassess your priorities. You've learned a lot from these surveys so put the knowledge and experience to good use.

If the ARE is especially difficult to please, you might need to narrow your search to boats that have a solid reputation for quality construction and systems.

Good luck. Fourth times a charm?

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-08-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Well that was anti-climatic.
We got out to the marina, got the boat out and motored off to top off the tanks. Suddenyl the engine started sounding "off", then the temperature gauge started to creep upwards. So we shut her down at the fuel station and called for help. The mechanics came out but unfortunately, the ARE had to be back for a conference call in the afternoon.

They got it all sorted. The strainer was clogged and they had to replace the impeller. All is well as the engine never overheated, smoked, etc. and has very few hours on it so its not like damage was done or that something major was amiss. It sucks though, because the ARE doesn't like the way the boat looks and this is the boat that I want.

Ah well, we shall try again next week I suppose. lol
Old 04-08-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Having the engine overheat on you was definitely a sign... Oh, well, I guess you better keep looking.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-08-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Now that the deal is off...what kind was it?
Old 04-08-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Deals not off, we now have a negotiating point. We will be writing in a request for a warranty for XX (to be determined) engine hours. As long as the surveyor finds the engine is ok, we can proceed.

The engine ran hot, but did not overheat. We will see how it does when we take it our next week now that it is fixed. If it still overheats, that's a problem. If it is as I suspect that the engine is fine, just needs to be serviced fully then we can proceed.
Old 04-09-2009

saildork is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Well that was anti-climatic.
We got out to the marina, got the boat out and motored off to top off the tanks. Suddenyl the engine started sounding "off", then the temperature gauge started to creep upwards. So we shut her down at the fuel station and called for help. The mechanics came out but unfortunately, the ARE had to be back for a conference call in the afternoon.

They got it all sorted. The strainer was clogged and they had to replace the impeller. All is well as the engine never overheated, smoked, etc. and has very few hours on it so its not like damage was done or that something major was amiss. It sucks though, because the ARE doesn't like the way the boat looks and this is the boat that I want.

Ah well, we shall try again next week I suppose. lol
Mimsy, I hope you get the boat YOU want. The ARE will be happy with it if the admiral is happy. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Thanks Saildork, I hope so as well. The ARE has a need for speed, I have a need for stability, strength and dependability. We are looking at an Island Packet- the Family Truckster of vessels.

I think it is perfect for where we are right now and what we want to be able to do. In 10 years when the kid is off to school, then it might be time to get a sleek, fasty, fasty boat for the ARE.

The ARE needs to understand that when I was a kid, all my friends were drooling over VW Sciroccos, Trans Ams and Camaros. I on the other hand, lusted after the Volvo 240 wagon. There is beauty in the functionality, or so I keep trying to convince my husband.