Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The Soling would be another good choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2009
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
Two boats immediately spring to mind.
The other is the Alerion express 28. Many of the same attributes as the Quickstep, but with a bump in performance, size and in price.
Alerions are more recent and used boats go in the $60k-$80k range
Old 04-10-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
I would second the Sonar. It is a good bit more user-friendly than the Soling. It has a cuddy, comfortable contoured seats, and is raced without having to resort to extreme hiking. If you are going into that size range, a used J/24 might be less expensive than a Sonar, and extend your cruising range considerably too. The question is whether a keelboat like these will work for you.
Old 04-10-2009

onespd is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the useful replies. Good suggestions about boats I haven't noticed yet. I also found today that a Ranger 20 or 22 might work and there seems to be more of them than Chrysler 20s. Anything with a keel and a handicap is OK for the local beercan races I'd be interested in. Only one design keelboat action near me is J/24 and Catalina 22.

Will be paying cash for this boat. Dream boat right now is something like e33 or one of the Aelerons, but I want to try a trailerable first. I want to have the option of taking my boat to the Texas coast, without a hauler and an oversize permit.

Others in our family have power boats and routinely take 6-10 people out for a ride and swim. I have been thinking about sailing with a bigger group than most seem to be able to accomodate with small sailboats. Or, do you ask some guests to go forward on deck? Railmeat, anyone?

Maybe a non-cabin option is two Buccaneer 18's and we can race each other!
Old 04-10-2009
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by onespd View Post
Thanks for the useful replies. Good suggestions about boats I haven't noticed yet. I also found today that a Ranger 20 or 22 might work and there seems to be more of them than Chrysler 20s. Anything with a keel and a handicap is OK for the local beercan races I'd be interested in. Only one design keelboat action near me is J/24 and Catalina 22.

Will be paying cash for this boat. Dream boat right now is something like e33 or one of the Aelerons, but I want to try a trailerable first. I want to have the option of taking my boat to the Texas coast, without a hauler and an oversize permit.

Others in our family have power boats and routinely take 6-10 people out for a ride and swim. I have been thinking about sailing with a bigger group than most seem to be able to accomodate with small sailboats. Or, do you ask some guests to go forward on deck? Railmeat, anyone?

Maybe a non-cabin option is two Buccaneer 18's and we can race each other!
Six is a lot on any sailboat under 32', unless it's a racing crew with (as you say) plenty rail meat. It's hard to stow that many abovedecks comfortably without people trodding on lines or sitting on the low side.

Funnily, Chrysler claimed the Bucc18 fits six adults. Ummmm... no. The darn thing has 7" of freeboard to start with, it's tender as hell, and I can't imagine the terror of sailing with six in any wind strong enuf to move that many passengers. And you DON'T want to be on the foredeck of that boat, ever. On the plus side, you could buy a matched pair for the price of a 32-footer's genoa.

Last edited by bobmcgov; 04-10-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-10-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
if you throw out the racing and trailering look at a hunter 27 1975 to 1983. the cockpit will seat 6 easily, it has a head and a huge saloon.

if you want racing i dont know anything about it.

i dont know much bout the hunter 25 of the same era but it might be worth a look.

here is one just to show the looks and size, it is trailerable. but i dont know about the racing part. the cheribini designed boats are very solid1982 HUNTER HUNTER 25 sailboat for sale in Georgia
Old 04-10-2009

billangiep is on a distinguished road
Doesn't completely meet your criteria but I bought this Watkins 17' on the cheap.

Old 04-10-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
Well

The trailer thing really knocks out a lot of the larger boats in your budget unless you dont mind spending and hour plus when you launch and and hour plus when your done.

I have been there and done that and it wears out pretty quick

I really cant think of any small boat that is going to do the 6 people thing without a whole lot of moving around every tack

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 04-10-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
I've seen 6 in a Flying Scot.

Seems like 4 should be max though...
Old 04-10-2009

mstern is on a distinguished road
You should add the Oday Tempest to your list. A 23' Rhodes design, the cockpit is very large, the cabin is small, and the lines are sweet. Finding one in good shape may be a chore, but they can be had very cheap.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.