Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009

onespd is on a distinguished road
Mid-size daysailer with large cockpit

By the apparent dirth of these on the market, I'm going to guess that the type of boat I think I want has not been popular with a mass market. I'm OK with that.

Probable use: daysailing for singlehand thru 6 adults, enough cabin to let kids get out of the sun or use the head/port-o-pot, lakes/bays/protected waters, try my hand at PRHF racing (preferably with spinnaker), trailerable a plus; bigger is better for wife, friends/family and kids as passengers

Other: used; do not mind hands-on maintenance but do not want a wooden hull; sit in not sit on; prefer sloop and cutter, do not prefer (sorry if I offend) catboats and catamarans

Boats I've been thinking about (with cockpit length): Chrysler 20 (9.5 ft), Capri 22 (8-9 I forget), Colgate 26 (11 ft) - like the size but may be out of my pricerange

Which boats should be on my list that I'm missing? Comments from owners of these boats would be very welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2009

baboon is on a distinguished road
In most respects your list is on the mark. Precision, hunters etc will also work. The issue will be finding any trailable boat that you can sail with 6 on board. Boat trim will be a challange with 900lbs of people in the back. Almost all small boats have tillers, reducing sitting area while sailing. Six at the dock for lunch might work. Most people, including kids, will not be happy in interior of these size boats for any period of time. I am sure others will chime in with other options. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2009

Tortuga12 is on a distinguished road
Cal 20

Friend of mine has one, big comfy cockpit, and sails very well!
Old 04-09-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Rainbow.
Rainbow 24 Sailboat Sail boat Rainbow Tidewater Chingachgook YMCA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-09-2009

Hesper is on a distinguished road
If the cabin/port-a-potty isn't too important, have a look at the Rhodes 19. LOTS of cockpit space and nice and deep/safe-feeling.
Old 04-09-2009

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
Two boats immediately spring to mind. One is the Quickstep24. I have one and it's great for most of the things you describe except racing. It's quite stable, has a big cockpit (I don't know about for 6 adults, but certinainly big), it's heavily built and easy on the eye. It's reasonably responsive, but sacrifices light air performance for stability. With a PHRF rating of 240 it might not be a satisfying racer. It has a modest cabin that would sleep two adults and two kids in reasonable comfort. It might sleep 4 adults but two of them would be uncomfortable.

The other is the Alerion express 28. Many of the same attributes as the Quickstep, but with a bump in performance, size and in price.

Quicksteps were made in the 80's and can be had in the $12k range
Alerions are more recent and used boats go in the $60k-$80k range
Old 04-09-2009

craigimass is on a distinguished road
Rhodes makes the Mariner, which is the same boat with tiny cabin. Very nice boat.

I had pretty much the same checklist and just bought a Precision 18, although I would have been tempted if I found a great Catalina 22, etc.

As you would expect, new are vastly more than used....BUT, if you have the $$ and can make a sweet deal (most makers WILL do do now), then you can expect a very good resale value if kept in top shape...at least for the first 10 years or so.

I, and also others here, suggest paying cash.......and not going into debt for toys like this. If that is not possible, perhaps a really low interest rate based on home equity...as opposed to a boat loan....with a LOT down, to avoid the future trap of owing more on the boat than it's value.
"I do not conceive we can exist long as a nation without having lodged somewhere a power which will pervade the whole Union in as energetic a manner as the authority of the state governments extends over the individual states"
-George Washington
Old 04-09-2009

craigimass is on a distinguished road
Oh, didn't see the racing criteria...that is going to limit you perhaps to a class design of some sort.......
"I do not conceive we can exist long as a nation without having lodged somewhere a power which will pervade the whole Union in as energetic a manner as the authority of the state governments extends over the individual states"
-George Washington
Old 04-09-2009
Just a Sailer

somers12 is on a distinguished road
A Chrysler 22 or 26 might suit your needs. A 22 has adequate sitting head room down below, while the 26 has standing head room. They stopped making them in 1980, but you can still find them fairly cheap. They sit at least 4 in the cockpit and sleep up to five. 22 has a porti-poti and the 26 an enclosed toilet area. Both are swing keel and trailerable. Very good support through owners at:
Chrysler Sailors Home Page
I have a 22 and it's a good boat, especially for beaching.

Steve

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Old 04-09-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Add the Sonar to your list.