Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
As far as I know all Tritons and virtually all sailboats built in the last 30 or so years have a cored deck. The reason is that without a core of some kind the deck isn't stiff enough. A friend lives on his Spencer 35 and his deck is not cored though plenty strong enough. When you walk on his foredeck there is a bit of spring to it - coring eliminates this. The MK 2 version of this boat used core. Whatever boat you decide on check the deck for sponginess that indicates water intrusion into the core. After you find one that you like and have checked out to the best of your ability have it surveyed. If you would like to read more about recoring and Tritons as well as other boats see this link: The Plastic Classic Forum • Index page
Virtually everybody on this site is recoring or modifying their boat in some way.
Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2009
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
Cored decks and hulls have enough advantages that they were and are used. Stiffness, weight, elimination of condensation. Cored decks and hulls can be stronger than non. Just as your bones have a mushy marrow - a hollow tube is stiffer and resists bending more than a solid one . . . of the same weight.

I would not pass or fail any design just because it used a balsa cored deck. Have it surveyed. Very possible some prior owner(s) corrected any problem areas or routine maintenance has allowed the balsa to remain stiff and dry without needing a correction.

Triton #1 is on the same lake as us and undergoing restoration. The deck fittings are being rebedded but, as far as I know, the original core is in place. I can check if you like.

Our Pearson 31-2 had some balsa deck issues that were corrected and it passed the survey I had done before buying her. Required digging out some balsa and replacing it with filled epoxy. Don't assume balsa is a disease.
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau
Old 07-27-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
FWIW I spent a lot of time cruising on a small schooner that would make a Triton seem luxurious. I was a lot younger then and my priorities were different. If the boat is solid then you can add things as you go. There is no shortage of people who are happy to sell you anything you might think you'd like.

These days I'd call anyone who did what I did then a complete idiot with no sense, or regard for personal safety, but you know what ? I survived and so are thousands of others who are out there right now being just as foolhardy.

The west coast Tritons were built with solid decks.

Cores rot. Decks, Hulls, whatevers...if/when they get wet the balsa rots. There are undeniable advantages to using a core, and you're hardpressed to find a boat that doesn't have some type of core somewhere, but they will degrade over time.

Good Luck
Old 09-11-2009

mhoughton is on a distinguished road
Love the Tritons. I sail with a group of Tritons out of Annapolis. I myself have two of them - both "free" boats I have yet to sail on. They are beautiful, seaworthy boats with a great motion. I have heard some complain about the weather helm, however, I have crewed on boat's whose skippers knew how to trim them to neutral helm. I have heard people who prefer the west coast decks due to no maintenance. The cored decks are a little more solid so I've been told, as long as they're properly maintained.

Good luck in your choice.

Matt
Old 09-12-2009
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Just for the record...

The Bristol 32 is solid fiberglass, no wood cores, and the decks are solid as concrete floors.

Last edited by seabreeze_97; 09-12-2009 at 12:09 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.