Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2002

jbarros is on a distinguished road
Pearson Triton

ok, so, after some basic preliminary investigation I am considering a pearson triton as my first liveaboard/crusing boat. I''m currently on a little 22'' day sailer, but long to have a boat with.. oh... a real head, a shower, luxery items like that.

realy though, I''ve been looking at the saucilito built boats, as the thought of recoreing a wood cored deck spooks/annoys me.

I like the fact that they''re supposedly solid, and I like the asthetics of the alberg designs. I heard they sail ok, and I the pricetag (sometimes under $8000) is realy atractive. I''m ok doing work on older boats. (just finished rewiring and brightening my little 20''er for sale)

I''m ok doing some work, and I dont need a race boat, but I want something that''s solid built and that I can single hand as my skills get better. I want to do primarily coastal cruising for now, but going around the world isnt too far, and will probibly be on my next boat. my "coastal cruise" may extend as far down as peru depending on my funds.

but enough of plans. people who own them or who''ve sailed them, or who''ve found reasons not to, please give me some feedback and your own personal experiences.

Thanks.

-- James
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
Pearson Triton

I cruised aboard a friend''s Pearson Triton 28 quite bit, 15 or more yrs ago, offshore New England. I felt it was a wonderful boat then, roomy enough for a bunch of guys and sturdy enough to take just about anything the sea could throw at it. We had a lot of confidence in her and she served us well. My friend lived aboard during the summer.

Today however, I would say that this boat is very slow, has a very short waterline, narrow beam and few creature comforts. The build is very solid though unsophisticated. It is unknown how age affects the boat and its components, as this tends to be a maintenance/use issue.

SO, it depends on your budget and your goals. If you need a bluewater cruiser for under $10k, this could be a good choice. If you are looking for a similar design, but superiod quality, speed and comfort, then an Alberg 30 or Bristol 32 would be good options...but in the $20''s.

Really depends on your budget and use.

Hope this helps

Old 10-30-2002

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
Pearson Triton

James,

There is an amazing website at http://www.triton381.com/ about a Pearson Triton that was restored. The boat is Glissando and is owned by Tim and Heidi Lackey.

Check out the site and you can email Tim. He checks his email frequently and seems to know an awful lot about the Triton.

best of luck

Mike
Old 10-30-2002

Pearson Triton

yhea, but 381 was an east coast boat. It''s partialy his recoring of the deck that scared me about them. I''m hoping to get a glass boat where I dont have to worry about wood getting soggy and rotting away on me. but I will email him. Thanks.

As for the speed issue, it''s not one, realy. The price issue is a large one. If I can get a boat under $10,000, I can get one this year. If I cant, then I cant get one any time in the near future. Most cruisers I know have said go small, go now, so...

Creature comforts are a personal thing. Personly, I''ll have to rip stuff apart and make a hot water shower somehow. Other than that, the acomidations apear sufficient. I dont require much in the way of creature comforts other than a warm shower and a dry place to sleep.

Provided there are no horror stories popping up like with the last boat I was looking at (catalina 27 and the "catalina smile", etc!!!) this may look like what I''m looking at. Now I just need to hitch a ride on one and see how I like em.

Anyone in SoCal need crew for some day sailing or a trip out to the islands?

-- James
Old 10-31-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
Pearson Triton

James

I appreciate the situation you are in and hope you will find the right boat for you. You raise one additional issue, I have thought of as I search my memories of cruising on the Triton.

You said you want a dry place to sleep. As I recall (and I could be mistaken) the Triton I cruised on was not insulated in any way and did not have any kind of cabin liner. In New England (warm days, cool damp nights), this resulted in the inner fiberglass "sweating" in the forward cabin where I usually slept. Obviously, this can be addressed with either insulation or a liner of sorts.

Just wanted to mention it.

Also, other boats you may be able to get for around $10k (their asking will be higher and you will negotiate down), that might suit your purpose could be:

Bristol 32/30/29
Tartan 30
Mariner 28
Cape Dory 28/27

All of the above would be faster, more comfortable and more able than the Triton.

As for speed...sure, you don''t need speed... but you do need a boat that will be powerful enough to get you to weather or take you to a lee shore in a blow. I have personally witnessed many small boats trying to run to port when the going gets rough and completely unable to do so. Not saying the Triton cannot do this, just saying it is a consideration.

Hope this helps.

John
Old 10-31-2002

Pearson Triton

Thanks, you answered my next question before I asked it.

I was reading over another post, and realized I was going about this in the wrong way. I picked a boat and said, "will this do what I want" instead of tossing out what I want to do and asking people what would be best. I think I''m actualy going to start another thread to see about getting more feedback on what other boats would be good for the task at hand.

I will of course, look into these boats you suggested immediatley.

Thank you.

-- James
Old 11-01-2002
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Pearson Triton

James,
in your thread above you make reference to Tritons with "corded" deck - it seems you believe some were built with solid glass decks? Is that correct?
I don''t know that this is not true, but I would be very surprised if it were, and would assume that they carry a weight penalty in a boat already pretty heavy.

Maybe there''s some Trion expert who can clarify this subject...

Regards
Old 11-01-2002

Pearson Triton

well, I''ve heard that they do. Once agian, the triton isnt a fast boat as it is, but she''s well built.

I got the information from the Triton One Design Class of San Francisco Bay web site. they have an "about the Triton" link (off site) which points to this somewhat biased note.

http://home.netcom.com/~suter/triton.html

In the early ''60''s Aeromarine built some 125 boats. They''re easily distinguished from their East Coast cousins. East Coast boats have wooden coamings and wooden trim. The California built boats are all plastic. Ralph Beauregard, long time owner and racer of #150, Rascal II flat out claims, "West coast boats are built better than East Coast. The Sausalito bunch were much better boat builders than Pearson ever was. West Coast boats have no balsa in the decks. None. They''re pure glass."

It also has some interesting notes about the west coast boats. They''re supposedly heavier all around, which makes for a less "Fun" boat, but a more sutable boat for offshore or "less fun" bad weather situations.

Like I said, I''m still new to all this, so feel free to corect me or my sources when either are wrong.

Thanks Agian.

-- James

Old 07-25-2009

yippeekayay is on a distinguished road
Pearson and Light Air

Another important point is that the Pearson Triton is faster in "light air." Unless we live in a world where 10-20 winds are constant? I think not! Anywho here is a good list from another source.

Atom Voyages | Voyages Aboard the Sailboat Atom -* Good Old Boats List - choosing a* small voyaging sailboat
Old 07-26-2009

sailordave is on a distinguished road
I can tell you that ALL THINGS CONSIDERED.... heavy for it's size, short LWL, etc. the Triton will move right along. It's got better performance than you would suspect.
That said, a Bristol 32 is one FINE looking boat and has a little more room although, yes, it does cost more.