Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2009

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
New Boat Teething?

Our current boat is our first new boat, as opposed to used, so we're dealing with teething issues now for the first time (rather than cleaning up the mess created by the PO). So, what are the teething issues all you "new" boat owners have had to deal with? Here's a non-exhaustive list for us:

1. A few light bulbs out for courtesy lights and one overhead.
2. Voltmeter panel defective and sounds alarm even though voltage not too high.
3. One floorboard does not fit particularly well.
4. Some dings and scratches on interior woodwork in spots.
5. Ate our shaft zinc at a rate I consider too high at the end of the year last year, so investigating whether we have a "leak" or bad ground somewhere.
6. Fluxgate compass not calibrated properly.
7. Bimini and dodger needed some adjustments.
8. Holding tank leak (that was fun!).
9. Aft head door latch mechanism sticks.
10. Condensation pump for one of the AC units did not function.
11. A deck leak.
12. Chain speced for the windlass was HT, but the boat delivered with BBB.
13. Small check in the teak decking at the bridge deck.
14. Missing velcro strips for certain interior cushions (to secure them in place)

There are a handfull of other things that I just can't think of at the moment (I don't have the "List" with me), but the missing ones are of a comparable character, which is to say, not too serious. The only issue that gives me a little pause, but my dealer is on it, is the zinc issue. If I've got a leak somewhere, that could be a pain to find.

All in all, I am very pleased. Frankly, I expected worse. And I have to say, our dealer has been absolutely fantastic. I couldn't speak more highly of him.

I really hope I'm not jinxing myself here, as we still have the better part of this upcoming season under warranty, and I fully expect a few more surprises. I just hope they are nothing too inconvenient or serious.

So, how about you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2009
SouthernComfort

Hillster is on a distinguished road
I have heard of some woes with buying new (warrenty work and such). Just curious, what brand and model of boat do you have?
Old 04-13-2009
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Our two boats had a combined age of 65 years. It would be simpler to list the things that weren't broken, leaking, or absent. Takes the gloss off the love affair a bit. Best to just start sailing the thing and deal with the punch list as time allows. I suspect all sailboats are prone to stray entropy currents, whether on the water or land, causing them to decay at a faster rate than mere physics would predict; do they make sacrificial zincs for entropy?

Holding tank leak -- that's a good place to begin....
Old 04-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillster View Post
I have heard of some woes with buying new (warrenty work and such). Just curious, what brand and model of boat do you have?
Beneteau 49.

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about our punch list. I think it's nothing short of GREAT that our list, so far, is comprised of minor stuff (potential electrical leak aside). I too have heard horror stories, but so far, that's not been my experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-13-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Daniel,

Where was the deck leak?

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-13-2009
SouthernComfort

Hillster is on a distinguished road
I have heard from others that purchased new, that ran into similar manufacturing defects and such. They suggested buying used so most of the problems would already be dealt with through warranty.

I recall reading on the net a few years ago, of a fellow that bought a new Catalina 350. When he filled the water tanks, the boat flooded. Upon checking, he found that the hose clamps were not even tightened and after checking throughout the boat found that most were loose, not just the fresh water.
Old 04-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Daniel,

Where was the deck leak?
Genoa track. I was not thrilled with that, but it turned out not to be the best sealant job, which was a very easy thing to cure. It happens. To be candid, I've never had a boat that at some point I didn't have the rebed the genny track, except for our Freedom, which didn't have a genoa track of course.

Old 04-14-2009

Swesail is on a distinguished road
The voltmeter panel / spurious alarm is a known problem. Beneteau has prototypes out of a new panel. Last I heard all panels will be replaced in June when the testing of the new design is done.

Regarding the zink ; I have the same problem. I went through three prop zinks last summer. For testing I used two different plates (Zink and Copper) and measured the voltage potential btw the plate and the shaft for different distances prop-plate. It was actually substantial. I grounded all thruhulls to the shaft (using a home cooked spring loading system) and that out to a zink plate. Didnít help (may actually have made it worse). I have started to think that itís the water heater that is the problem when the water heater is in the on state on shore power. I donít know if you have the same water heater in the 49 as the 40 but curiously the manual for my heater states that you need a galvanic isolator. And at least my boat didnít come with any galvanic isolator so Iím installing one now on the incoming shore power AC line. I actually think that will help (crossing a lot of fingers while writing so it may be difficult to read ).
Let me know if you need the water heater manual. The company that builds them have been bought and sold a couple of times so it took me a week or so to track them down and get hold of it.

And yes, Iím impressed. Your punch list is short.
Old 04-14-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Also remember, the zinc issue may be the boat next to you too! Not your boat. But try to rule you boat out first, then figure out if it is a marina issue or a boat near you.

Also, being in construction. Folks think that new is better.....generally speaking it is. BUT, we need to remember humans made the product, and we ALL seem to error at something at some point in time, if not daily at something no matter how perfect some folks seem.

Marty
Old 04-14-2009

tweitz is on a distinguished road
When we bought our brand new Beneteau three years ago, our first new boat, our punch list was even shorter. Our dealer was very responsive, and it was an altogether pleasant experience.