Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009

ajackson8 is on a distinguished road
Buying Hughes 28?

Ok, this is a question for all the pros out there. I am looking at purchasing my first sailboat. I have narrowed it down to what I think is ideal but have a couple of questions.

What I am looking at is a Hughes 28, 1980. It has been cared for and has everything I think I need. However, when I research online I can't seem to find a Hughes 28. I can find a 26 and a 29, but no info on a 28. Does this make sense? Is there such a thing - I have seen it in person and inspected it, but of course didn't actually measure it. Why would there be no info anywhere about this?

Additionally what are your opinions about this for a first boat, and are there things particular to this boat I should look for?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Read this:

Hughes Northstar Forum - History

and this:

Columbia Yacht Owners Association

try to determine if it is a Hughes, a Northstar, or a Hughes-Columbia.

then go back to the boat and get the HIN (Hull Identification Number). It should be etched into the fibreglass somewhere on or near the transom.

Come back here and post the HIN and you'll be able to find out when the boat was built.

See you soon
Old 04-16-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
I have a Northstar 1000 which is almost identical to the Hughes 31 built after US Steel left the game. Love my boat. Sails well, keeps a good track, stiff and plays well in the waves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 04-16-2009

28 hughes

Ok, here is what happened. This guy, clearly a boat lover extended the stern by 36 inches when he refinished the hull above the water line making a much bigger cockpit. It is actually a 26 Hughes, however it is now 28 feet long...appears to be an excellent job, no doubt about it and in great shape.

Should this be a concern?
Old 04-16-2009

28 hughes

Also, it has a refurbished/replaced Evinrude saildrive gas/oil mix 30hp detuned to 15hp with 4hours of use on it. I have read crazy stories of hatred and disdain for saildrives, but am lost on this one? Why is this good or bad?
Old 04-17-2009

I think we need some pictures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 04-17-2009

Is this the Hughes that is lying at Port Dover?

1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 04-17-2009

Wanted to post a photo, but not able to ...too big apparently? Anyway it is not in Port Dover...it is in ottawa
Old 04-17-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
You can not post a pic until you have 10 posts. Or link directly for that matter.

Marty
Old 04-18-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
When I read of all of these modifications to the boat and motor they make me nervous. Here is why...

Unless there is something spectacular and unique about the Hughes model that was extended, then I think that the reason it was extended was because the owner wanted a bigger boat but could not afford to buy one. Therefore, he/she reasoned it would be cheaper to extend the current vesel.

Doing something like extending a boat by three feet is major structural work. It's a project that needs a lot of time and space, not to mention money. Any bonds between old and new fibreglass/epoxy are going to be suspect. The strength of a secondary bond rarely approaches the strength of primary ones. If the individual who extended the boat had done it properly, it would have cost many thousands of dollars, and would have been much more expensive an exercise than buying a longer boat to begin with.

Even when they are properly done, changes of that type rarely result in a craft that is balanced. The center of gravity is no longer where the sail plan's center of effort needs it to be. The result is a boat that will not sail well, and may even be unsafe.

Ditto for the motor. There is a lot of bad feeling out there for saildrives - some of it deserved and some not so deserved. What can be safely assumed though, is that the likelihood of an engine being a problem increase with each non-standard modification made to it. I believe that the Hughes 26's were sold with OMC Saildrives and that the OMC (Evinrude) is the brand that hs generated the most negative emotion. You first clue is that it has four hours on it. I am sure the vendor is hoping that it runs for another four or so until he an offload the craft.

If you are being seduced by a low, low price for a 28 foot boat - shake your head. This is not a 28 foot boat. This is a disabled 26 footer - someone's make work project.

If you want a good deal on a 28 foot boat, look in Michigan. It is a simple matter to get the boat up to Ontario, and you will get far, far more for your money there right now than you will anywhere in Canada.

Don't mean to burst your bubble but the vendor is not selling a "Hughes 28". They are trying to salvage some dollars from an expensive mistake.

Good Luck !

Last edited by Sailormann; 04-18-2009 at 12:17 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.