Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009

WannaBeGone is on a distinguished road
Question Cruising Boat Advice KP44

Hello everyone,
I'm searching for a cruising sailboat. Currently in a position of trading my Florida sailboat waterfront for a boat. Limits the options. Have a opportunity on a KP44, that based on pictures and discussion is pretty well set up, a visit will tell the tale. The KP44 seems to have a very good rep as a bulletproof bluewater sailor, I'm just having a hard time getting around the draft (6'4") issue. Mast height on the inter-coastal could be an issue as well. Early on intentions would be east coast, gulf and caribbean. Lots of skinny water! Curious as to comments from experienced cruisers on this.
Thank you all for your time.
KM

Last edited by WannaBeGone; 04-20-2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Add boat model to title
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2009
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Has it got teak decks? That would put me off.

Mast taller than 65 feet = problem on the ICW.

Draft more than 6 feet - sure you will go aground sometimes in the ICW but you can get off.

You will be a little restricted in the Bahamas with that draft but I would not let that stop me from going there just take care in some places and go slow with a rising tide.
Old 04-20-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
From a person that sails in 600' of water most of the time in Puget sound, I would not let an extra 4" of draft worry me. Instead of anchoring in 18' of water at high tide, you look for 19'. If you run aground with 6'4", you'd probably run aground with 6'! Heck, I've run aground with 5'4" a couple of times around here.

My big worry would be the bridge height vs draft issues. If the boat fits you needs, go for it, do not look back! We all have slightly different needs an wants in our boats. many will fit ea of our needs and wants.

marty
Old 04-20-2009

Thanks TQA
No teak decks. I agree, wouldn't want that! Specs I've seen are 60' on the mast, but since they were all outfitted where they were first shipped and not as a part of original production that could possibly vary.
The draft is my biggest concern. It will keep you out farther in many anchorages, I'm sure. Feedback from cruisers with a deep draft and how they feel about it once they've been there would be helpful.
Old 04-20-2009

Hey Marty,
Yeah, I have to agree! I think at 60' height should be fine in most places. I am somewhat torn on the mono vs cat. But I do intend to live aboard and capacity becomes an issue. Have to have my tools!
Thanks for the reply, happy sailing!
KM
Old 04-20-2009

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
A 6' 4" draft is not a problem anywhere in the Caribbean (unless you hit a reef, which is possible to do with a 3-4 ft draft), nor on the East Coast, provided you stay out of a few Chesapeake creeks (and even if you don't, every one eventually runs aground in the Chesapeake, which is why God made the sea bed there so soft ).

If you are buying the boat because it is a "blue water cruiser" then draft/bridge problems in the ICW can be avoided with coastwise passages. I may be wrong, but I don't think there are many highly desireable destinations along the ICW that can only be reached by passing under a bridge.

If your life's ambition is to explore every nook and cranny of the Bahamas, buy something with a shallower draft.

Good luck!
Old 04-20-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
In regards to Billy's comment, re "cruise every nook and cranny of __________" There is something to be said for a decent size dinghy or kayak or equal that will allow you to "REALLY" get into the nooks and crannys etc. So as mentioned, you moor a bit farther out! No different than when I go to a shopping mall with my dually crewcab pickup. I am not able to park in all the compact slips. Well I could if I took up 4 of them!

While it may look like I am trying to argue. I'm really not, like all things, what is a problem for one, another may shrug and say, "oh well". I would rather have the slightly deeper draft, better sailing rig, and use a dinghy or equal to get to shore, granted a bit farther sometimes, but still, doable!

Bridge heights, like I said earlier, If you want to go somewhere, and the bridge clearance is shorter than the stick. You has some serious issues. Altho being too deep can be an issue to. I do not see that as big an issue, as long as I have a dinghy to use.

Marty