Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2009

Winderlust is on a distinguished road
Smile Boat for Deep, Long, Lakeshore Land Offer

Boat for Land Offer,

Please, donít scoff, instead ďseaĒ into this unusual trade offer.

I have Lakefront Land and will trade it for a cutter rigged, monohull, sailing cruiser. With Good Faith and some basic legal effort, we can make a fair trade.

If you want to trade your 20 year old cruiser for a relatively safe recreation and retirement, waterfront homestead, away from the Gulf hurricanes and turmoil, let me know.

I own one premium lakefront lot and Iíll trade it for the correct, cutter rig, semi-heavy, sailing cruiser: 1985+, something between 34-43í, in excellent condition. My intention is that it will be my live-aboard in California, where I live, and eventually my cruiser to the South Pacific.

Here are some Desired Boat Examples:
(R. Perry) Toshiba 40í, Tayana 37í, Valiant 40-42í; Hans Chris 38í; (Pacific Seacraft) Crealock 37í; Cape Dory, Cape George, Gozzard, or Garden cutters (any with non-leaky teak decks or non-teak decks).

I like old, safe, classic and comfortable shoes.

Here is the satellite image of the Bear Branch Cove Development, in which my land resides. Itís on the right shore of the right fork in the picture. The lot includes the rock land peninsula sticking out 60í X 30í into the cove from the right shore; it looks like a boat dock, but isnít:
Google Maps

My land is 500+ ft. peninsular shoreline of deep-water lakefront property, in a prime location on Lewis Smith Lake in Winston County, northern Alabama. It has water, phone and electricity underground. The lake contains 21,000+ sq, acres of water, 250 ft at the deepest and over 500 miles of shoreline. Itís about 75 minutes from NASAís Huntsville, Alabama; 110 minutes due south of Nashville, TN.

I purchased the land in 2006, free and clear for $260,500 and owe nothing on it. The Winston County tax rollís values it at $266,100, up because the neighbors have built their homes. I have a 4,700+ sq. ft. floor-plan, designed specifically for the lot, valued at $30,000, which Iíll throw in.

The whole land deal for me was to include my wife and kid but she bugged out, so my eye for the land has changed. My eye for a cruising life has not.

I have title and a very recent land survey and much more detail Iíll share with any qualified trader. Contact me with your boat information, PM.

All questions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Winderlust—

As I've said on many similar posts previously, I think you'd be much better off selling the land and buying the boat in two different transactions. Here is why:

First, the number of decent bluewater cruising boats that are for sale is fairly small. By limiting yourself to the subset of those that have an owner looking for land in a specific geographic area, you eliminate most of them from consideration

Second, by offering a trade, you limit your effective purchase price to a fairly narrow range, which is going to force you to purchase at a premium price—the more conditions you have to a purchase, the higher the premium the seller can command.

Third, by offering a trade, you basically eliminate almost any real power to bargain. Cash talks much more loudly. So does the ability to say, "No thank you, I have other boats to look at."

Fourth, the legal paperwork that goes into the exchange of real property for personal property is far more complicated than selling real property for cash and buying personal property for cash. You could probably handle the paperwork on either of the latter yourself... but combining them adds complexity that will probably require the use of an attorney to ensure that all legal requirements are met and that both parties have free and clear title to what is being traded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.