Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2009

bluerider32 is on a distinguished road
Info on Liberty 28

Hello fellow sailors,

I'm looking to buy another sailboat and have my eye on a Liberty 28. Unfortunately there's zero information on the internet. I called Liberty Yachts (who now build powerboats) and they said they have no written information about these sailboats - bummer!. The little info available is here: LIBERTY 28 - SAILBOAT PORTAL (specs. English)

I'd appreciate any other info on this boat: hull construction, # of hulls built, sailing characteristics, etc.

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2011

Toucanook is on a distinguished road
Liberty 28

Hi!
I've been living aboard my Liberty 28 for 32 years, and cruised some 25,000 miles with her. In my estimation, this boat is one of the best small cruisers ever built. I have hull #6 of the 30 (I think) built. The guy that had #4 had been across the Atlantic and back something like 10 times before selling her in Istanbul. During his ownership, he got into a force 12 storm in the Bay of Biscay and suffered no damage other than breaking his vane gear. I've had mine as far as Grenada. These were semi custom boats, and as such were tailored to the needs of the owners. Several layouts were produced. I've seen ballast from 4800lbs to the 5500lbs in mine. They have a very comfortable motion in a seaway and are quite speedy for the size and type. The designer has told me these top out at 8.4 knots. Mine does better. Personally, I don't think you could do better.
Old 01-15-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Toucanook.... Welcome to Sailnet.

Just a gentle reminder to check the dates on the threads as you browse the archives.. the post you've responded to is quite old (2009) and the poster has not been active on this site since June 2009.

That said, your feedback will be valuable to anyone else looking today! 32 years!! All I can say is Wow!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-15-2011

I saw the date, but thought it might be useful for anyone who is looking for a great little bluewater cruiser. That is, if they can find one of these, since they are rare. So far as the 32 years go, I have found that if you are cut out for living aboard, there is nothing, absolutely nothing so satisfactory. At this point I'd say I am. Conversely, if you're not cut out for it, regardless of the most noble intentions, you will be off the boat within a year or so. The Greeks were right - "Know Thyself".

8.4 knots is speedy for any 28 footer, much less less a heavy double ended cruiser. I built Toucan from a hull and deck. So, in her case, I filled and faired the prop aperture in the sternpost and rudder and use an outboard. She has a minimum number of through hulls below the waterline. In doing so, it cut so much drag that she will outdo her sisters by over 23% at 10.4 knots. I've seen her do this for hundreds of miles at a time when the wind is over 15 knots and the point of sail is a tight reach or less. I've had so much fun embarrassing much bigger boats over the years it isn't even funny. A clean bottom can pay huge dividends. Aside from the speed advantage, a 28 footer with no inboard has as much interior volume as a 32 footer with an inboard. Where the engine was supposed to be there is 40 gallons of water and a 4 man life raft. In the bow, where the water tanks were supposed to be, there's 200 ft of 3/8" chain. It all balances out.

As an aside... this October, I plan to leave from Titusville, FL and sail down the coast to mess about in the Keys some. From there, sail up the coast to see some friends in Tampa Bay, then perhaps stop by New Orleans for a few days before heading over to Corpus Christi, TX. There, Toucan will get trucked over to San Diego. I expect to spend some time checking out the Channel Islands National Park, then spend a month provisioning for a passage down to the Marquesas Islands. Where I go from there is open, but crossing an ocean is the last major item on my bucket list, so from there I expect to blow downwind to Tahiti, Bora Bora, the Cook Islands, etc., and eventually end up in Australia before starting back. Assuming I come back. I suspect I will elect to take the prevailing westerlies back east, turn left to catch the Austral Islands and French Polynesia again, then up to Hawaii, thence around the NE Pacific high to Puget Sound. While I am okay with doing this single handed it would be nice to have someone along, as it makes such a voyage a lot more fun. So if you know someone who would be interested in being gone for a few years, point them my way if you would. While I would prefer a woman, anyone will do if of appropriate adventurous spirit and sterling character. Nobody around here seems interested. Wusses....
Old 08-03-2011

Anatevka is on a distinguished road
Liberty 28 rudder

I just bought a Liberty 28 cutter.. I would love to know what is the core of the rudder. Foam or plywood?.. anyone know?
Old 08-03-2011

Rudder

Congratulations on purchasing what I consider to be one of the finest small blue water cruisers ever built, and one of only thirty. It is neither foam nor plywood. Mine (#6) has an interior of what is apparently resin and microballoons. I've had my L28 since 1978 and wouldn't trade her for any other boat. Seakindly, nice motion, fairly weatherly and speedy. Pretty much across the board, the 28's will do 8.4 knots. Since I left out the inboard and filled and faired the prop aperture, she does 10.4 knots. No kidding.
Old 08-03-2011

Thank you

I am the happiest person in the world with my new boat..Just got her in May. Thanks for the response about the rudder.. I was hoping it wasn't plywood.. good news!
Old 08-03-2011

If you aren't happy with that boat, you won't be happy with any boat In the autumn, I'm taking off on mine for a two to four year cruise from Florida, through the Panama Canal and around the far end of Australia before I head east again. I figure I'd better get this done before I'm too old to do it.
Old 08-04-2011

Sounds like a great adventure. Do you have a monitor? I was looking at other Liberty's and how they mounted the monitor on the boomkin, but moved the back stay. I will be sailing the San Francisco bay for a few years.. then hopefully take a left out the Gate.
Old 08-04-2011

Yup, I have a Monitor. I wouldn't trade it for anything either. So far. 7,000 miles with zero problems and steers a better course than I can myself. Tradition has it that cruisers name their vanes. I call mine "Armstrong"