Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010

tillermanX2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arja View Post
Hinckleys come in Pilots (35 ft), Bermuda 40, Southwest 42, a 43 with more competitve design, 49, Southwest 50-51 and 52 plus a 59, now up to 70: all in fiberglass and built with handcrafted wood interiors in ash, mahogany and cherry wood with substantial exterior teak and Hinckley designed and manufactured stainless steel rigging, ... ?!... etc.

So even though an OC was created by a member of the Hinckley family, in buying a Hinckley, one can get substantial knowledge and support for one of their yachts from the home office. I dare say, you may wish to check out what support OC provides. I speculate not much.

...or too much...

Hinkleys are much more than a pretty boat, they are well found, well designed and when maintained, an incredibly safe yacht in any weather.
So if you like the OC, just make sure you and your broker are not confusing an OC for a Hinckley, or you may well pay too much.

And there was a 30' wooden sloop that preceded the innovation into fiberglass by The Hinckley Company prior to the mid-50's. Hope this helps
OCs were built carrying the same tradition, craftsmenship/craftsmen, suppliers and dedication as the original Hinckley family-owned shipyard.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2010

Wink

There are real ones here BUT IMHP while nice to look at there nice to the point of how do you use the BOAT ?[/QUOTE]

You fit her out and stock her up for an extended cruise and head out into the sunset and onto the high seas for a few years
Old 03-18-2010

Unhappy Loved our Ocean Cruising Yacht OC 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
Not a Hinckley but a very well built sailing yacht.

OCY built approximately:
1 37 foot power boat, cold molder for a yachtman that was head of the 12 meter Intrepid syndicate for the America's Cup

1 38 custom one off, for the owner of Alden Yachts

1 39 footer for a very experienced yachtsman whose father in law put the first aluminum mast in a large racer/cruiser sailboat and had 22 other major designs.

9 40 footers

8 42 footers

1 51 custom Bill Cook designed racer cruiser.

2 52 footers to Bill Cook designs

The workers at OCY went back to Hinckleys when the company closed its doors as head of Service, head of mechanical dept, head varnisher etc at Hinckleys. A shame when you consider the quality that was produced.

Comparing the fit and finish of these boats to Hinckleys are a comparable dateline they were superior.

The Hinckley company is still the standard but OCY pushed that standard and made Hinckley better.
Our OC42 was hull #7 built it 1985 (or 1987?) and had a tall sloop rig and a 5'8" draft, semi-full keel. I bought her at the Annapolis boat show in 1992 to sail down to the Caribbean for a 2 year sailing sabbatical. Although she wasn't designed as a live-aboard, my wife & I loved her lines and obvious high-quality construction at first sight. We took the plunge right away and never regretted it.

We kept her in the Caribbean for 5 years, sailing up and down the Windward and Leeward Island chains and loved every minute. When we finally had to head back North to the reality of the working world, we sailed her up to Frenchman's Creek Florida to put her up for sale. As we were docking, a gentleman came up to us and said: "My brother built that boat." Sure enough, it was Hank Hinckley's Florida based yacht broker brother Bud Hinckley. We had him list the boat "for sale" and sadly had to let her go a few months later to another quality and beauty minded couple.
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Is this a real Hinckley?-ekwataturks-caicos94k.jpg   Is this a real Hinckley?-ekwatawpalmbeachfl96k.jpg  
Old 03-18-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
The Thomas Knutson Shipyard also built some Pilot 35's for Hinckley out of wood, prior to Hinckley going to fiberglass. Knutson continued building the pilots in wood according to S&S design 539 in both sloop and yawl versions. Oh Joy is a one off Pilot 35 yawl originally built for the Great Lakes charter trade with a detachable staysail stay and bowsprit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-14-2011

Audolphins is on a distinguished road
Smile

Some clarity

In 1983 Hinckley Yachts, Halley Davidson Motor cycles, and Hard Sails were purchased by AMF (yes the bowling people) to become there hi end sports diversion. Hank with a number of staff walked down the street from the Hinckley Yard and started Ocean Cruising Yachts his brother Bob stayed with the original yard.

While a number of the smaller boats I believe were complete designs by Hank the larger boats 40" and above use Hinckley hulls and deck molds and many of the Hinckley castings. The Hinckley OC 42' center cockpit uses a combination of the SW 42 hull and SW52 deck mold

The reason I know this story is My brother in Law was the senior sail maker at Hard Sails when the buyout took place he and the Senior salesman walked down the road and brought the Shore loft in Huntington. Two of the junior sailmakers went up to Maine to run the Hard Sail Loft which now apparently makes tee shirts and fishing lures.

Now as to 320 hours to varnish the interior of a Hinckley how did they ever get it done so quickly. I'll match the craftsmanship and finish of Redemption's (1983 OC 42 center cockpit) interior Ash with Mahogany trim to any Hinckley of her day.

In fact Hank wrote the book on how to maintain a Hinckley "The Hinckley Guide to Yacht Care"

Now will you get support I've talked to Hank many times concerning issues on the Redemption and he always has had time to answer

Want more information check out HANK HINCKLEY'S BOATS or there facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hank-H...-Boat-Builders

So the question remains is Redemption a Hinckley by the strictest differention no. But she was built by the son of the founder with the help of Maines best craftsmen to standards probably higher then were taking pace at "Hinckley AMF"
Old 11-14-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
I knew about Hinckley quality mostly from reading about them - they are very uncommon around here. I finally saw one - a Bermuda 40 - in the flesh, but only from the dock. It was not a loaded up one - no teak decks etc. and it was a bit neglected but the quality shone through.

THEN - we went sailing in the BVI and saw a number of them, all over and in flawless condition - WOW did they stand out in the charterboat filled harbours. They were like a woman in a red gown at a white wedding. You could see the quality from 100 yards.

I have never seen a sailboat that deserved the term Yacht so much, not even Swans, of which I have seen & admired many. The Hinckleys were the nautical equivalent of a 60's Rolls Royce Phantom - true, old time class that simply can't be duplicated in anything contemporary no matter how much you try or spend.
Faster likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillermanX2 View Post
Our OC42 was hull #7 built it 1985 (or 1987?) and had a tall sloop rig and a 5'8" draft, semi-full keel. I bought her at the Annapolis boat show in 1992 to sail down to the Caribbean for a 2 year sailing sabbatical. Although she wasn't designed as a live-aboard, my wife & I loved her lines and obvious high-quality construction at first sight. We took the plunge right away and never regretted it.

We kept her in the Caribbean for 5 years, sailing up and down the Windward and Leeward Island chains and loved every minute. When we finally had to head back North to the reality of the working world, we sailed her up to Frenchman's Creek Florida to put her up for sale. As we were docking, a gentleman came up to us and said: "My brother built that boat." Sure enough, it was Hank Hinckley's Florida based yacht broker brother Bud Hinckley. We had him list the boat "for sale" and sadly had to let her go a few months later to another quality and beauty minded couple
As I remember, her first owner was another boat builder from the Chesapeake who her gave the name "Main Squeeze". The second owner re-baptized her "Beautiful Swimmer". Not being superstitious either, we renamed her "EKWATA". Would love to know where she is now...
Old 11-15-2011

tillermanX2 Sounds like you got a lot of pleasure out of her and a lot of cruising.

Redemption (OC 42 Hull #1) has been up and down the east coast and from Mexico to San Fransisco where she now lives.

I remember talking to Hank about the 42's apparently most of the aft cockpits were center-boarder's and all the center cockpits were semi full keels. He could never figure out why (:.

When we were at Hinckley's oxford yard one of the OC 52's was out having some work done would have loved to talk to the owners

Audolphins
Attached Thumbnails
Is this a real Hinckley?-2011-ho-bow.jpg   Is this a real Hinckley?-2011-ho-stern.jpg  
tillermanX2 likes this.

Last edited by Audolphins; 11-15-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audolphins View Post
tillermanX2 Sounds like you got a lot of pleasure out of her and a lot of cruising.

Redemption (OC 42 Hull #1) has been up and down the east coast and from Mexico to San Fransisco where she now lives.

I remember talking to Hank about the 42's apparently most of the aft cockpits were center-boarder's and all the center cockpits were semi full keels. He could never figure out why (:.

When we were at Hinckley's oxford yard one of the OC 52's was out having some work done would have loved to talk to the owners

Audolphins
Lovely boat, brings back fond memories
Old 11-15-2011

Thank you something about that color scheme http://www.sailnet.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif