Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2009

DropTop is on a distinguished road
Cool My Boat Purchasing Dilemma..

I'm looking at buying my first sailboat (that's over 15ft) in the very near future, maybe even by this weekend, survey depending. I've grown up around boats and have spent many weeks out to sea on sailboats in the past, so I'm confident that I am buying the type of boat that is in my budget, and will suit my needs (weekend trips for 2-4 people out in Long Island Sound, and some scuba diving while out). The problem is that I'm having trouble deciding which boat to get.

I've narrowed the field down to two very promising, but opposite boats, a 1977 Catalina 27' (non deck step mast), and a 1990 Hunter 27' (deck step mast) Both I can get for around the same price.

On one hand I've got the older Catalina which has been worked on and retro fitted many times over in it's life with new pieces of gear (little of which was done in the last 5 years, most of which is nearing it's end of usefull life) and shows the evidence of that with many old screw holes filled with silocone both above and below decks. The cabin has little spots of old mold growth that shouldn't be that hard to clean, but I wonder if it's gotten into the wood and will grow back at the first introducion of moisture. The port chainplate has regular steel washers, and they have some significant rust. While the current owner just finished sanding and re-doing all the wood and re-bedding the winches and cleats, the decks show many signs of spidering in the gelcoat around those areas (but does not appear to be recent). Additionally one of the winches looks like the plastic around the top has been broken and epoxied back together. She sleeps 5, the only double berth is the forward V berth. On the plus side the sails are in good condition and it has a pretty new Yamaha 9.9 four stroke to power it and includes an old GPS unit (tested, working). She is in the water now and could be taken out as soon as paperwork is done.

On the hand I've got the newer Hunter that shows very little evidence of having ever being used, aside from a bad paint job on the hull that's peeling in spots, and needs scraped (sanded?) and re-painted. The interior is pristine (she almost still has the "new boat smell" to her), fiberglass still has a good shine to it, and the gelcoat while slightly chalky, should clean up nice with little effort. The teak (what little there is) has been let go to gray, but looks to be in good condition otherwise. She only has a standard jib, no roller furling. Also has a porta-john style head (I would replace with a regular head / holding tank + Y valve). She sleeps 4, in two double berths (forward V and rear under the cockpit) Powerhead is a 8 HP Tohatsu with control box and remote ignition setup in the cockpit. Essentially this boat comes with very little gear and options (doesn't even have a main selector switch for the batteries, they are just wired straight to the panel!). She is currently on the hard and won't be able to get launched for 3-5 weeks by the yard (which would give plenty of time to get the hull done)

My Dilemma is this:

A. Buy an older boat that was someone else's project that they are now done with, and Iíll spend my non-sailing time repairing and replacing worn out gear / patching old screw holes in the deck and cabin, plus the long list of other maintenance issues that will come up from an older boat over the next couple years (things like bilge pumps, old wireing, winches, and lines needing replacing, etc...)

OR

B. Buy a newer boat that is in basically pristine condition that Iíll spend my non-sailing time purchasing and installing in new gear (thereís very little to replace), and end up with a boat that is truly mine.

With A, I end up with the same thing I started with and wonít really be able to sell the boat for anything more then I bought it for.

However with B I end up with a like new boat (and probably 5-10k more money spent when itís all said and done), and can probably sell it for my original purchase price, plus 40-50% of the out of pocket expenses for the new gear and equipment (not counting any labor)

Any input or advice is greatly apprecieated!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2009
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
I can't comment on the specifics of these two boats, but I'm having trouble seeing the dilemma. For basically the same money, the 90 Hunter sounds like the winner given the condition of the 77 Catalina--though I wonder about the paint job on the Hunter. Unless of course you really like the Catalina.

I'd rather have the more or less pristine that I could make my own without starting so far in the hole, patchwise.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 05-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
I'd rather have the more or less pristine that I could make my own without starting so far in the hole, patchwise.
that's what I'm thinking, but with it costing 40-50% more by the time all the gear is purchased, I'm not sure if I shouldn't just go for the Catalina...

can anyone compare experiences with a Hunter 27 vs a Catalina 27? I've never been out on a Hunter before (and I can't get this one in the water before the Catalina gets bought by someone else)
Old 05-07-2009

chall03 will become famous soon enough
From your post it sounds like you have almost already decided on the Hunter, and I would tend to agree.

On the balance of it all, it looks to be the better boat and you are saying it also holds opportunity to value add..... Notwithstanding the specifics you went through its also just 13 years younger......

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-07-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just to play Devil's Advocate... I'd point out that non-use is worse for a boat than constant use with good maintenance. I would be worried about the "pristine" appearance of the Hunter, especially if it is the result of the boat having been cleaned up just for sale. Often, a boat that isn't used will also be neglected and not have the basic maintenance done to it.

I'd also recommend you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started, as it will help you determine what shape both boats are really in...

However, it does sound like the Hunter would be the better choice of the two. PO's can do a lot of strange things and fixing what they do can be very frustrating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-07-2009

jason3317 is on a distinguished road
Check with your preferred insurer....it's possible you might have difficulty securing insurance for a boat that is older than 20 years, or at least pay a higher premium.

I would also consider storage volume, especially for scuba gear (not sure how many sets you will have on board).

My vote goes to the newer model, although I think Catalina, in general, probably sails a bit better than Hunter. Even more, there are so many hulls available 27-30' range, 10-20 years old....I bet you can find a few other options the exceed both of the options you're considering.
Old 05-07-2009

I have read the entire Boat Inspection Trip Tips post (GREAT post!), and while I did a many of those things initially, I will definitly do the rest the next time I visit either of the boats prior to making an offer (they are both 10min or less from my house).

I know that non-use can be worse then use, however the PO has continued to maintain the boat for the last 18 or so months that it's been on the hard, and the yard still winterized her last fall as if she had been in the water.

The Hunter has plenty of dust both inside and out which says that she has definitly NOT just been cleaned up for sale, but your right that is a problem to look ou for, I did run across a few boats that had been surface cleaned to try and get a higher price.

Storage is similar on both boats, Overall the Catalina probably wins by a little, though the Hunter has more on deck (Plus an anchor locker), and a touch less below deck then the Catalina. For my SCUBA gear (rairly more then 2 divers onboard), I plan on building / buying tank racks for topside (reccomendations?), the rest of the gear will sit below decks.

Quote:
My vote goes to the newer model, although I think Catalina, in general, probably sails a bit better than Hunter.
I'd like to understand what is your reasoning for the Catalina sailling better then the Hunter? I've never been out on a Hunter before (most of my sailing in the last 10 years has been on either little 14' lake boats, sunfish, a starcraft doublehull (NOT catamaran), or a 41' Columbia), and this one won't get splashed until the sea trial.
Old 05-07-2009

jason3317 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTop View Post
I'd like to understand what is your reasoning for the Catalina sailling better then the Hunter? I've never been out on a Hunter before (most of my sailing in the last 10 years has been on either little 14' lake boats, sunfish, a starcraft doublehull (NOT catamaran), or a 41' Columbia), and this one won't get splashed until the sea trial.
The C27 rates better on average than the Hunter, 200-215 vs 215-225. This is very much dependant on configuration (Inboard, Outboard, Tall Rig, Shoal Draft, etc).

Catalina built the C27 through the late 80's (1989?), although the original design was done in the 70's. You might find a newer model in better condition.
Old 05-07-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTop View Post
On the hand I've got the newer Hunter that shows very little evidence of having ever being used, aside from a bad paint job on the hull that's peeling in spots, and needs scraped (sanded?) and re-painted. ...
In my opinion that these two boats are comparable in price reflects the fact that the Cat 27 is much better built boat than the Hunter, and just well, more desirable, and always will be. You are buying a sailboat to sail, buy the best you can, it ain't an RV.

I can't see how you can so easily discount the crappy paint job, I assume you mean on the topsides, not a bottom job. If it is the topsides, you cannot easilky fix a poor paint job, you need to totally remove it first. To improve the appearance, you would need to take on a very hard and long job to remove all paint to down to bare gelcoat and properly paint it yourself, which at best can promise mixed results. Or pay probably the purchase price all over to have the hull professionally painted, the only way it will ever look good.

Last edited by sailingfool; 05-07-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-07-2009

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
I just went through this when buying my boat last year. I looked at Catalina's, Hunters and Beneteaus. It came down to Catalina and Hunter because at the time I wasn't finding a lot of Beneteaus that fit our criteria.

The eye opener for me was going to a dealer that had quite a few of both boats in stock that were a few years old. The Catalina's were aging noticably better than the Hunters. I'm not bashing Hunter, it's just what I observed on those boats.

That said, why not nose around for a newer boat at a better price? There are a LOT of people looking to sell boats right now and some are downright desperate.

If you like Catalina and Hunter try calling around to some of the local dealers. The salesman at my local Catalina dealer keeps in touch with his customers going back years. They may know someone looking to get out of a boat. Ask around the docks. Does anyone know someone looking to sell? Some of the best boat deals went down without there ever being a "for sale" sign on the boat.

Jim

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White