Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2002

jlthorse is on a distinguished road
A few possibilities...opinions please

We''re looking at a few boats a Mariner 36 and a CT 41. I would appreciate any advice from those in the "know."
Also, we found an aluminum hull boat (late 60''s and the builder''s name escapes me). I was advised that aluminum hull is the way to go. Comments on this much appreciated too!

Jerry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

You really need to say more about how you plan to use these boats but in a general sense both the Mariner 36 (assuming the Oriental Mariner and not Maine Mariner) and the CT 41 are both good liveaboard stay at the dock kinds of boats with pretty mediocre build quality.

Modern aluminum is a very good option for a boatbuilding material but a lot has happened in Aluminum metalurgy since the 1960''s and I would suggest that you probably do not want a 1960''s era aluminum boat.

Jeff
Old 11-07-2002

namaste04 is on a distinguished road

What are your criteria? (i.e are you coastal cruisers; will you be dockside liveaboards and maybe do the ICW; or are you going around the world or something in between?

MARINER: Are you talking about the Far East Mariner 36 or the New Hampshire-built Mariner 36 (early 80''s vintage)? If it''s the latter, they are great boats. We have the big sister, 39-footer, and looked at a couple 36''s as well. Solid, well-built boats with plenty of liveaboard space for a couple. Terrific interior joinery, great hull shape. With a careful check-over of rigging, thru-hulls, etc. I would not hesitate to take one offshore.

Here is a web site for NH built Mariners: http://users.snip.net/~pcves/mariner.htm

Aluminum boats: my dad has had two large ones. He was cruising around Cape Horn and to Norway, so wanted the superior strength. however, he''s probably going to sell his soon and buy a fiberglass boat because the maintenance on the aluminum one is too much. Plus, you need to really understand electrolysis (is that the right word?) because corrosion is a BIG issue that can easily sink the boat in a matter of days if you are not supremely vigialnt and careful with gear installations.

have fun looking at boats!!!!
STacey
Old 11-07-2002

jlthorse is on a distinguished road

Our plans involve live aboard, and coastal cruising (southern CA). I am still working and may transfer again, either west coast or Hawaii.
Both boats I''ve seen were manufactured in the far east. Unfortunately we are on a budget. We don''t want boat payments, and plan on paying cash for whatever we get. I''ve been told to not buy the biggest, but the best we can afford. We''re trying to stick to that philosophy.
The aluminum hull was a 60''s model boat, and I knew there were some problems with older Aluminum hulls, but just couln''t remember.
Whatever we do we plan on having a survey done, I''m told it helps with getting insurance.
Thank you for your replies.
Old 11-07-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Surveys don''t just help with getting insurance.....Surveys are required to buy insurance. BUT what every you do insist on a full purchase survey, and not just an insurance survey. You are looking at high risk boats here, in other words boats that are likely to have problems that far exceed the value of the boats.

When you talk about southern Cal sailing you are talking about predominantly light to moderately light wind sailing. Boats like these two that you mention aren''t much good as sailboats in that venue as they really require more wind to sail even half-way decently.

Jeff
Old 11-08-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road

Speaking of insurance, you might wish to talk with your insurance provider (or the one you plan to chose) before you sign a contract for an older boat. Some companies have issues with older boats, some may not. Do check beforehand.

Best of luck.
Old 11-09-2002

windship2 is on a distinguished road

Jerry,
I do know that the CT forty-one had a hull built to Loyds of London specs which I don''t consider mediocre build and is hand laid.Even if the build was that way, there''s plenty of boats going offshore with that "mediocre" build.Mediocre being medium and not low quality.
You should weigh how important light air performance will be to you because with a draft of six feet,beam of twelve two, sail area around eight hundred sq.ft. and a displacemant of twenty-seven five, this is not a light air boat.
This is a world cruiser and is anything but a stay at the dock boat.
She is desighned by Wm Garden.
I think it''s a beautiful boat.

Dennis