Join Date: Jul 2006
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Wauquiez 33 Gladiateur vs. more traditional boats for Cruising
I am considering buying a Wauquiez 33 Gladiateur for cruising - to Mexico and maybe beyond.
I have also considered more traditional cruising designs: Valiant 32, Pacific Seacraft 34, Cape Dory 33. These boats differ from the Wauquiez 33 in:
1. elongated fin keel or cutaway full keel, versus higher-aspect fin keel
2. less beamy (10 to 10.4, vs. 11)
3. slightly greater displacement (11.8k to 13.5k, vs. 11k).
4. shorter LWL (24.5 to 26.3 vs. 27.3)
5. substantially heavier, measured by Disp/LWL (300 to 404, vs. 253)
If selecting a Wauquiez 33 compared to a Valiant 32, Pacific Seacraft 34, or Cape Dory 33, how much would I give up in tracking stability and in seakindliness in strong conditions?
Thanks for any comments!