Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2009
Senior Swab / Lackey

sailrkev is on a distinguished road
Check out this Cal 25 for me

Greetings all
I'm new to the forum, been lurking for a while, trying to pick up tips and so on, and am looking to buy my first boat.

I've found this Cal 25 Picasa Web Albums - GamerKev - Cal 25 on Craigslist. The Cal 25 would suit my purposes well, singlehandable, can race, good for taking friends out, forgiving. The owner wants $3200 (negotiable) which would be in my price range.
Hull, rigging, shrouds, rudder, etc all seem pretty good. I got a look at two of the sails, they were pretty clean and crisp, with a nice cover. He has three more sails to include as well. Hardware isn't anything to write home about, but not rusted at all and the lines are nice. Bottom needs paint, but there were no blisters that I could see.
It has some issues:
Outboard is questionable
Needs cosmetic work, especially inside
No stern pulpit
Bilge pump inoperable
Electronics active but he doesn't know if the instruments work(?!)

These I think I can handle since I kinda wanted a fixer-upper for the summer, to sail next year, but the main concern is the deck over the cabin. Common problem with these boats apparently. He has leaking which is coming through the fittings, making them rust, and making a giant mess of everything. I snapped a few pictures of them.

I'm thinking of offering $2K for it, given all the issues it has. The question I have for everyone today is: is that deck problem a deal breaker no matter the price? Or is there a fix that can be attained without spending more than the boat is worth? He said he had another buyer, but even if that is true, I have a feeling they'll run screaming once they get an idea of the work involved.

Any advice would be much appreciated. He said I could go look at it again myself if I wanted to, so I can get more pics if anyone thinks it will help.

Like I said, a Cal 25 is my first choice, but you won't break my heart if you suggest I let this one go.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sailrkev—

First, I think that $2000 is way too high a price for this boat. IMHO, it isn't worth that much, just based on the issues I can see in the photos.

I'd recommend you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started, as it will help you determine whether this boat is worth looking into further or not...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-14-2009

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road
In Southern California that would be a free boat, and he probably wouldn't get too many takers. Cal 25s are good boats, but find another one.
Old 05-14-2009

justjon is on a distinguished road
I agree, way to high, to much work. I do like Cal 25's, easy sailing Ok for weekends. but it's a buyers market out there. I would Look around more
Old 05-14-2009
Senior Swab / Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeissinger View Post
In Southern California that would be a free boat, and he probably wouldn't get too many takers. Cal 25s are good boats, but find another one.
This was my first reaction, I guess I was just looking for someone to disagree with me. Better to wait.

Maybe if I offer him $1...

I was also looking at a Mirage 24. From a dealer, not nearly so F'd up.
Anyone know much about them? They don't seem to be a very common design, and there's not much presence on the web, as far as owners groups.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-15-2009
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Given that your profile does not indicate where you're located, the following link may not be helpful as other than a point of reference but check-out Cal-25 Sailboat
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 05-15-2009
Senior Swab / Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Given that your profile does not indicate where you're located, the following link may not be helpful as other than a point of reference but check-out Cal-25 Sailboat
That would be perfect, but with no trailer, a bit out of reach...

Oh well
Thanks for the tip, anyway
Old 05-15-2009
Not just a member

motovationcycles is on a distinguished road
Cal 25

I am sorry but I think you mistyped. You did mean to say he was paying you $3000 to take it -right?

Dan
"Wind Wing"
Piewiet 850 / Dutch Flyer 28
Solomons, MD
Chesapeake Bay

"For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I do with my allotted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar with the breeze."

Richard Bode
-- from First You Have to Row a Little Boat
Old 05-15-2009

Jim H is on a distinguished road
It's funny, but I've been following sailboat ads for a few years. This year seems surprisingly poor, as if anyone who can hold on to their boat is doing so (and fewer people are upgrading and selling off previously-loved boats). The loved boats are kept, and only the drags are on the market.

Maybe I'm being harsh, but I think the quality used to be better.

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

Old 05-15-2009
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Sailrkev--

Given that Edgewater Maryland is only about 800 miles, it might be worth renting a trailor and driving dow to pick the boat up, no? The asking proce seems really fair.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."