Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2002

Yodagwb is on a distinguished road
catalina 350

CASEY 1004
The 124K was a base number in the water and ready to go (includes freight, comm., paint ect.). It did not include sales tax or options, of which Catalina is picking up the first 5K of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2002

casey1004 is on a distinguished road
catalina 350

Yes, but what options did that include? furling main? electric winches? etc
Old 11-14-2002

casey1004 is on a distinguished road
catalina 350

oops sorry, i missed the last sentence about options. doesn''t look like they are offering me that great a deal.
Old 11-14-2002

windship2 is on a distinguished road
catalina 350

tsenator,
Yeah right...what ever.
There''s a guy on the''400 osmostic blisters'' string asking about walk-through transoms. Do you know anything about the Catalina thirty with the walk-through transom?

Dennis
Old 11-14-2002

tsenator is on a distinguished road
catalina 350

Don''t know the exact year they started with walk thru transoms. I think the early walkthru''s were a narrower opening and not set up as well as the late model ones. They started sometime in the 90''s. But like I said about a boat with blisters, unless its a really good deal, I would pass.
Old 11-14-2002

Yodagwb is on a distinguished road
catalina 350

Casey1004
The question becomes the value of the options. You said the boat was pretty well decked out with options. I would say the dealer isn''t real hungry the sell it just yet. Of course it is a new model, not many out there right now, may be quite awhile before you find a hungry 350 dealer. I''d say anyone buying a 350 at this point isn''t dealing from a position of strenght. The best you can do is call around for a couple the quotes.
Old 11-16-2002

Bluesmoods is on a distinguished road
catalina 350

I would consider on a new 350 the following: Purchase the ST60 package with the 5000+ or 6001+ autopilot all installed. Then on the aftermarket, purchase the Microwave ($69.00 retail, $262 Catalina option), TV/DVD/VCR, VHF w/RAM Mic, Radome, Chartplotter, Bimni, stereo and so forth. Don''t get the cockpit table as it is very expensive and defeats the very spacious cockpit on the 350.

Get a reputable person/company to install the electronics. You can also explain to your dealer what and why you are doing. There are arguments obviously. (I have made em'' myself). Your dealer should also work out a deal with you just to install the equipment.

You will save thousands and thousands of dollars.

There is so much profit in these options. Not that they are not entitled to make a living, but I must say as a dealer, I look at the prices the manufactures charge for these items and it drives me crazy. My best customers are those who are well educated and do their research before making purchases.

I work closely with RayMarine, Garmin, Furno etc... Theses folks provide a very high level of service to the end user through the sales process in terms of appropriately equipping the boat and it continues on after the sale. Find exactly what you want, then go out and get your best price from an authorized dealer. A new boat is expensive enough as it is. Let Catalina or whoever make their money on what they do best, building a boat. You will have more money in the bank at the end of your transaction for the boat... Thousands more. It is also a fun time shopping for your new boat on your own. Using the Internet, BoatUS West Marine, Sailnet and so forth. You will develop good relationships with these folks and that is also important for a boat owner as you know. (Don''t be afraid to ask for the VERY best price. They want you as a customer for the long term as well).
Old 11-16-2002

RyanMI25 is on a distinguished road
catalina 350

Regarding walkthru transom.

If you go look through used boat listings here or yachtworld you can figure out the answer to the walkthrough transom question pretty quickly looking at pictures of different year boats. It is around 1990 though on most of their boats. It is about the same time they all started coming with wing keels as well.
Old 11-16-2002

RyanMI25 is on a distinguished road
catalina 350

Also regarding the cockpit width on the C350. I like Catalina''s as much as anyone else. I own one and my next baat will be one also since it is already owned in the family. I was on a C350 at a boatshow here a couple of months ago that didn''t have the cockpit table. Has anyone thought of what that really wide cockpit is going to be like walking across when the boat is pitching and heeled over 20 degrees? You would fall 10 feet if you slipped while walking down from the windward rail. There is so much extra useless space there in the cockpit. It would really feel better with the dual wheel setup or atleast make the front cockpit seating closer together.
Old 11-16-2002

acmecoyote is on a distinguished road
catalina 350

Well being new with sail boats altogether I did not know anything from anyone. I just know that when I walked down the peir to look at different boats I found it was going to be much easier for myself to get on. I had know idea of when they came into play. Plus I have been told that some of the boats I might look for before I found this out was Tartan and Sabre. well in my price range (even some that weren''t) I looked at on the web and they failed to show the stern. So I was left with guessing, espoecially since some of these boats are so far away to just hope int he car and go see.

But I appreciate all the input for this. Thanks.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.