Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2002

Bluesmoods is on a distinguished road
catalina 350

I have been out sailing in the 350 and racing with the "boat pitching and heeled over 20 degrees"... Single handed at times as well. It is a blast! No problem at all. We ofetn sail with a bunch of us on board with kids too. Plenty of room for all in the safety and security of the cockpit. without the table. I couldn''t imagine having to walk arournd the darn thing at every tack and just moving about the cockpit. Edson makes a table for the Diamond Pedestal hat folds up out of the way. I will add that next year.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2002

gdamiano is on a distinguished road
catalina 350

We ordered a Catalina 350 for April''03 delivery and have been having the same discussion pertaining to the table. I actually would prefer the pedistal mounted table but am concerned that there is no way to brace yourself when heeling over. Did you add any modifcations or is it just not a problem. we sat in the cockpit and could not figure out what the crew could hang onto if heeling was significant.

Also, does the C350 come stanrdard with the PSS shaft seal and the tank monitors?

Per some of the other posts, some of the option pricing is ridiculous. Also the taxes, shipping to the west coast and commissioning to the west coast added 20k to the price tag.

Regards,
Gary
Old 11-18-2002

catalina 350

Hi I''ll try to answer your questions here:

1. The tank monitors are standard. Although our monitor sytem has read nothing but "full" thus far. Catalina has sent a great "expert" on the system . He was on the boat last week and they will fix it along with a couple of other minotr things. So I must say I am delighted with Catalina and their dealer network thus far.

I have hasd the boat with the rail just about in the water with a cocpit full of people and kids in the stern rail seat (on the up side of the boat). Nobody ever thinks about or really raised the issue of having nothing to hold on to. Just brace yourself real good in the seat. Not an issue at all. I do take care of the boat myself even with people on board who may be busy with kids or other things. You really do need the space in the cockpit where the table would be to move around and do what you need to while underway. You will be glad there are no obstructions there. That is just my opinion. I never sailed a 350 with the cockpit table so maybe others have different ideas.

You will love this boat!

PS. We are starting an International 350 Association with fleets in various locations. E-mail me at catalina350@mail.com if you are interested!

-Andy

Old 11-18-2002
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
catalina 350

What am I missing in this discussion about a cockpit picnic tables? One guy says it''s needed so that you can brace yourself when the boat is healed, another says the cockpit is so wide it should have two wheels, yet another says the permanent (picnic) cockpit table gets in the way. I happen to agree with the latter. Does this discussion not seem insane? Once again, this proves my theory that these boats are designed for dockside entertainment and marina living rather than for serious sailing. It isn''t the option pricing that is ridicules, IT''S THE BOAT!
Old 11-18-2002

catalina 350

Sorry Denr that you feel that way. Not our problem I suppose.

As I have stated earlier, I have over 100 hours at the Helm of a Catalina 350. I will contiunue to log hours on her through early Decemember here in the Northeast portion of the USA.

The boat is a very good performance oriented cruiser and a heck of a lot of fun to sail. She points real well, is very responsive, and loves a good breeze. I have flown everything and raced in winds gusting 25+ knots.

The conversation regarding the table is minor at that. The boat while offering a very enjoyable sailing experience at the same times offers more comfortable livability than any other vessel in her class. So.. hmm a cockpit table or no cockpit table.. Heck we can continue to exchange ideas on this folks.

If you have not sailed on one, perhaps you should reserve your opinion until such a time occurs.
Old 11-19-2002

Yodagwb is on a distinguished road
catalina 350

Bluesmood
Where about in the northeast do you sail?
Iam in Jersey. December, Brrrr.
Old 11-26-2002

catalina 350

HIi. I sail on the Chesapeake Bay. I will be sailing from the 29th of Nov. through the 1st of December as well.. It is great!

We are the only one out there but you can''t beat it!

All the best!