SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Albin Vega 27 for sale in NH (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/54892-albin-vega-27-sale-nh.html)

sailingdog 06-02-2009 09:40 AM

Albin Vega 27 for sale in NH

There's an Albin Vega 27 for sale in NH. Details at 1972 Albin Vega

Not my boat. Thought someone would be interested in it. He's asking $5995 for it. Haven't seen the boat myself, so can't comment on it, but the seller is a good egg. :)

bobmcgov 06-02-2009 01:17 PM

Stop it, Dog. You only do this to torment me.:mad:

Jim H 06-02-2009 02:57 PM

Don't know if I'd buy a boat from an egg.

Her condition looks good in the photos, but no engine start for 2 years...

JomsViking 06-02-2009 03:23 PM

Windows

The windows on the Vega is often an issue, as they are definitely NOT bluewater ready in the default configuration on many (most?) Vega's.
From the ad
Quote:

Seals recently replaced on large main cabin windows
Which indicates it has the windows of an old Volvo :)

Other than that it looks great in the pictures, if the motor works you get a lot of boat, and the windows can be replaced.

/Joms

RanAweigh 06-02-2009 04:24 PM

In case you are Vega shopping here is another.

1976 Albin Vega sailboat

stewsam 06-02-2009 04:27 PM

Good price, think the cheapest i've seen a vega recently in the UK was around 9k, so about $14ish...

hellosailor 06-03-2009 02:20 PM

The antique engine on a Vega can be problematic, especially since they used the funky Volvo "starter/alternator" combination unit, which hasn't been available in years. If that doesn't work, it can be quite a problem from what I've been told. (As in, you'll have to shoehorn in an entire new powerplant.)

JimHawkins 06-09-2009 11:52 PM

Quote:

Update 6/7/09: Engine last run summer 2007, does not turn over now and may require a rebuild
What are the potential implications of this latest piece of information about the NH Vega? What might be wrong with the engine, and what might be required to fix it?

hellosailor 06-10-2009 10:59 AM

"does not turn over" could mean it wasn't pickled and the rings have frozen (rusted) to the cylinder walls. That would be rebuild time. Or, that there's just corrosion in the wires and the starter/alternator isn't getting power.

Not enough information to guess at less than "an engine rebuild".

bobmcgov 06-10-2009 01:12 PM

Seems to me this particular Vega was on the market for awhile, then sold to someone, now is back on the market. >>> Yep, here it is -- last changed hands in Nov. 2007.

A seized engine might explain why. The Vega also came with a funky variable-pitch prop that, when it worked, worked great -- but now most of them have worn out and parts & knowledge for rebuilding them are hard to obtain. One guy in England has a dusty box of parts for em.

Repowering the boat isn't impossible but because the prop shaft is offset to port, the drivetrain is not typical and you may need a pretty solid mechanic to help match things up. The boat as originally sold used a number of different engines -- this one has a Volvo MD6A, which is not great but better than the original Albin motor.

Truth be told, when the engines die on Vegas most people just hang an outboard off the transom. Boat only weighs 5000lbs, right? Pick up a used 10hp for $800 and there's your dink powered, too.:D