SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   whether to buy a tanzer 25? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/54927-whether-buy-tanzer-25-a.html)

MARKESS 06-03-2009 12:18 PM

whether to buy a tanzer 25?

I am also thinking about buying a tanzer 25 ft 1978 model. I have never owned a boat but took lessons. Is this a safe bet for two women to buy and sail on a llong lake in Canada? Is it stable and roomy enough to sleep on? What size motor do you need? Do you need to have mechanical skills or carpentry skills to own a boat this old? any advice is appreciated.

Is $14K a good price without a trailor?

kai34 06-03-2009 12:27 PM

ive never sailed a tanzer 25 and dont know to much about it. that said 14K for a 25' 1978 sailboat sounds like quite a bit. maybe if its in excelent condition and is ready to sail. I would keep looking.

WouldaShoulda 06-03-2009 12:41 PM

I learned on a Tanzer 22

Both are nice enough, but usually sell for -$10k US

A 6-8hp outboard should be plenty.

tommays 06-03-2009 12:58 PM

tanzer Boats For Sale

This should give you and idea whats on the market

It seems very costly to me for the age

All boats need ongoing repiars and upkeep SO it really comes down to cost per year of DIY vs paying a boat yard to do repiars

cnc33voodoo 06-03-2009 01:10 PM

Personally, I think they are hideous boats.
14k is total insanity for this boat, no matter the currency.
There are many of these boats sitting in the back of marinas in southern ontario that were ditched by their owners.
I have seen quite a few on craigslist and kijiji over the years desperate to sell.
5k tops if its in mint shape with a good motor and sails but look hard enough and im sure there is more than a few willing to give theirs away just to get out of storage fees.
For that money you can get a much better boat.Take your time and look around.

CaptKermie 06-03-2009 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARKESS (Post 491998)
I am also thinking about buying a tanzer 25 ft 1978 model. I have never owned a boat but took lessons. Is this a safe bet for two women to buy and sail on a llong lake in Canada? Is it stable and roomy enough to sleep on? What size motor do you need? Do you need to have mechanical skills or carpentry skills to own a boat this old? any advice is appreciated.

Is $14K a good price without a trailor?

Yes At minimum you should be somewhat mechanically inclined in order to do any repairs, upgrades or rigging changes. A trailer would be nice also if you have an appropriate vehicle to tow it with.
I looked at the Yachtworld pics and see that it does not even have a quarter coffin berth under either side of the cockpit, just cockpit stowage lockers I guess. It would get pretty cosy the two of you squeezed into the V-berth. There are other boats that would be more accomodating than the Tanzer for that price, heck even my MacGregor has way more room below, I have a full queen size berth under my cockpit as well as the V-berth.

mikehoyt 06-08-2009 02:58 PM

Determine which 25 foot Tanzer the boat is. There were two.

One was actually called the Tanzer 7.5. It looks somewhat similar to the Tanzer 26 but is not nearly as robust a boat as the 26 as it is built on a much smaller hull - it does however have a nice amount of interior room.

The second was actually called the Tanzer 25 I believe. However I think that was manufactured in the 80s near the very end of Tanzer production. It was a very nice boat and quite fast. It would sell for a much higher price than the Tanzer 7.5

Mike

SSBN506 06-08-2009 03:23 PM

This is a Tanzer 25. they are newer 85 to 89 ish.

Tanzer 25 sailboat for sale

This is a tanzer 7.5 up to 1978
Tanzer 7.5 - Used Sailboat Market in Canada

This is a tanzer 26 newer than 1980
Tanzer 26 - Used Sailboat Market in Canada

cnc33voodoo 06-08-2009 03:37 PM

They are looking at a 1978.
"sailing tupperware"

patrickrea 06-09-2009 12:43 AM

I actually don't mind the Tanzer as long as you remember what it is; a daysailer that can do some weekend camping. There's lots out on Georgian Bay every weekend. It isn't a rough water boat but sailed well, it can do some tricks.

There is a 25/6 foot Tanzer for sale at Toronto Island Marina as we speak named "Jo Jo" on the dock behind me. He's asking CDN$5500 and it appears to be in good condition. The owner is now a 2 boat owner and has to get rid of it. I have no affiliation and have only chatted with the owner a couple of times. Have your friends call the marina and ask. They'll put him in touch.