Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011

BMLipiec is on a distinguished road
I have to agree with Jeff in that Westsails invoke strong opinions, both for and against. I've never understood the intensity of the detractors though - most of which have never owned one.
Over 800 boats were built, which is no small number for a production sailboat, and a much larger run than most models. 40 years later a huge number of those boats are still sailing and circumnavigating.
I owned a Westsail for 4 years and sold it only because I had to relocate to the East Coast. The Westsail 32 was our first boat. Before that the biggest boat we had sailed was a Catalina 25. The learning curve was steep on the 32, but the boat was forgiving and not too difficult to handle. Although, coming in or out of the slip was sometimes exciting. No, she wasn't going to win races in light air, but she was built like a tank and inspired confidence when the wind picked up.
If all I wanted was a coastal cruiser I would probably get something else for less money. However, if I wanted to cross oceans on a budget you could do much worse than a Westsail.
However, don't you think this is really just a case of personal preference? It is sort of like arguing whether sport bikes are better than Harleys.
It comes down to what you want in a boat. Personally, I think the modern spaceship looking raceboats are ugly. I don't really care that they will sail circles around me, or point higher, or back into a slip easier. Speed is not at the top of my priority list. What I liked about the Westsail is that I felt safe on it, knew that it was tougher than I was, and liked her traditional look. Most importantly, it made me smile everytime I sailed her or saw her sitting in the slip.
fenchurch9 likes this.
Hull #281

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurton View Post
Pictures please. Remember that this is a 32' boat.

That is not my W32.. but here is a picture of my W32 leading a race...IN LIGHT AIR
Local boats off the top of my head that will go faster that are near your overall LOA? Several, most in fact, though all are more in the racer/cruiser category. That said, it's great you're getting your Westsail out and keeping everyone in your rating band on their toes. It's always a pleasure to see a boat like yours sailed to its potential. Where are you racing in Puget Sound? If you're near Edmonds, sign up early in the AM and do Foul Weather Bluff. First start is 10:00am. Should be light!
Old 10-01-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurton View Post
Aaahh so its the person sailing the boat that makes the difference...?
I agree.
Exactly. Hey, if you're a live aboard and near Seattle, there's a 'race your house' event scheduled for Oct. 15... Info's here:

http://styc.org/

Last edited by puddinlegs; 10-01-2011 at 02:33 AM.
Old 10-02-2011

GBurton is on a distinguished road
So, two myths have been disproved. The W32 can point and can sail in light air. In fact the boat sails very well in light air.
Old 10-02-2011
Lookin' for an excuse ...

CaptTony is on a distinguished road
Wow! What an impressive range of technical information and opinions. So it is with some trepidation that I offer my tidbit.

I delivered a Westsail 32 some years ago. We picked it up in the Turk & Caicos after the owner decided he had had enough. I remember two things the most about the delivery. First, after leaving St. Thomas and rounding the east end of St. Croix, we didn't touch the self steering wind vane until reaching Margaritta Island, Venezuela four days later. It was a beautiful, trouble free sail.

The second thing I remember and still cringe at today is how wet we got in the cockpit. When the rail dips into the water or a wave slaps the hull and comes onboard, the water flows unimpeded to the cockpit. That made for a wet and uncomfortable sail if you sat on the lee side, which was the best place to spend a watch - usually.

I've looked at other Westsails since and I've never seen this issue addressed.
Attached Thumbnails
westsail 32-twboat.jpg  

Last edited by CaptTony; 10-02-2011 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Add Westsail picture
Old 10-04-2011

Oregonian is on a distinguished road
About the Westsail 32

About the W-32. I regret that I was not able to respond to sdwyer 9 years ago. This thread was just now brought to my attention. It is very regrettable that there is so much misinformation out there about some boats. Jeff H has been a huge source of that misinformation as have many others. This is an open forum and the people asking questions deserve honest answers. It is a violation of this forum's rules to push some other agenda as Jeff H has done.
Very simply put, the Westsail 32 sails just as well as any other boat that is of similar size and playing the same game in the same conditions. Some boats may be a little better at times but those same boats may be way worse at other times. For what the Westsail 32 was designed to do, it does it much better than most other boats.
Sailing performance is always mentioned as a negative aspect of the W-32 by some people. But not by the people who sail them. Although racing records are scant on this boat, there is enough data to easily see that it's performance is very satisfactory. The only reason to even mention racing in context to the Westsail is because in some of those races the boats are in the same conditions, equally prepared, and equally crewed. Boat for boat results clearly show where a Westsail can perform - light wind or heavy.
This forum has the potential to be a great source of information. It is important to keep the information accurate. I think a little more policing is in order here.
Thankyou, Dave
Old 10-04-2011
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
About the W-32. I regret that I was not able to respond to sdwyer 9 years ago. This thread was just now brought to my attention. It is very regrettable that there is so much misinformation out there about some boats. Jeff H has been a huge source of that misinformation as have many others..... I think a little more policing is in order here.
Thankyou, Dave
Hey, a pretty ad hominem post for a first timer. But then you are taking a position somewhat preposterous on its face...

Reminds me of the lawyer's stratagem "When the law is against you, argue the facts. When the facts are against you, argue the law. When both are against you, call the other lawyer names."
Strait Shooter likes this.
Old 10-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Hey, a pretty ad hominem post for a first timer. But then you are taking a position somewhat preposterous on its face...

Reminds me of the lawyer's stratagem "When the law is against you, argue the facts. When the facts are against you, argue the law. When both are against you, call the other lawyer names."
I dont think you can call Daves post ad hominem because he is the owner and skipper of the boat that won the 1988 race and placed 3rd overall in 1990 (beating every other boat in his class on elapsed time)
But, it is par for the course around here to insult without consideration.
So he has been there and done that. No need to argue with fact.
Old 10-05-2011

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Hey, a pretty ad hominem post...
Actually, he didn't use any ad hominems at all. He called out one individual for posting misinformation, but he never called that individual any names.

On the other hand, the individual he called out was simply expressing his opinion--exactly the same thing that Oregonian was doing. The fact that you don't agree with someone else's opinion is hardly a good reason to ask for them to be "policed."

So, maybe we should all get back to discussing the Westsail 32, rather than discussing other posters.

And in that vain... Yes, lots of people are critical of the Westsail 32, usually accusing it of being unreasonably slow, sometimes discussing the wet cockpit. There are things that can be done to fix the wet cockpit--building coamings, for example. I've seen boats modified that way, but not very many. Most Westsail owners seem to complain about the wet ride, but choose not to do anything about it. One has to wonder why.

As for the speed of the boat, let's face it, it is slower than pretty much all of the modern coastal cruisers and racer/cruisers with fin keels and flat bottoms. But then it is NOT a fin-keel boat with a flat bottom! If you buy a Westsail thinking that you are getting a modern racer/cruiser... Well, I'm sorry but it is YOUR OWN FAULT that it is not as fast as you expected it to be.

If, on the other hand, you buy it thinking that you are getting a full-keel boat that might not be the fastest in the anchorage, but has a kindly sea motion and is capable of comfortably taking you around the world... Congratulations! You got exactly what you expected.
Old 10-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Actually, he didn't use any ad hominems at all. He called out one individual for posting misinformation, but he never called that individual any names.

On the other hand, the individual he called out was simply expressing his opinion--exactly the same thing that Oregonian was doing. The fact that you don't agree with someone else's opinion is hardly a good reason to ask for them to be "policed."

So, maybe we should all get back to discussing the Westsail 32, rather than discussing other posters.

And in that vain... Yes, lots of people are critical of the Westsail 32, usually accusing it of being unreasonably slow, sometimes discussing the wet cockpit. There are things that can be done to fix the wet cockpit--building coamings, for example. I've seen boats modified that way, but not very many. Most Westsail owners seem to complain about the wet ride, but choose not to do anything about it. One has to wonder why.

As for the speed of the boat, let's face it, it is slower than pretty much all of the modern coastal cruisers and racer/cruisers with fin keels and flat bottoms. But then it is NOT a fin-keel boat with a flat bottom! If you buy a Westsail thinking that you are getting a modern racer/cruiser... Well, I'm sorry but it is YOUR OWN FAULT that it is not as fast as you expected it to be.

If, on the other hand, you buy it thinking that you are getting a full-keel boat that might not be the fastest in the anchorage, but has a kindly sea motion and is capable of comfortably taking you around the world... Congratulations! You got exactly what you expected.
Personally, I dont think its a wet boat. If you have too much sail up and the rail is in the water it does get wet, but what boat wouldn't.... I don't consider it a big enough problem to install coamings.
Have you had much time on a W32?