Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
I think in any discussion about boat speed the PHRF rating is a good tool. It's not perfect but it's better than guessing. I got the 218 for the W32 out of the NCPHRF Base Rating Report and I really doubt it is based on round the buoy race results for W32's. Whens the last time you saw a W32 campaigned in a round the buoys series? That's the only rating I cited. I did not take into account the "enjoyment" factor. I used the NCPHRF rating because their report lists the boats by type. It was convenient.

If you take the time to read my previous posts in this thread they were never about boat speed. I'm a Westsail fan and have defended them for years and recommended them to many potential buyers. I'm not sure anyone buys a W32 looking for boat speed.
There are a lot of ways to measure the enjoyment of a boat but I can't think of any that are objective and that's just fine. The love of sailing is anything but objective.

But if someone turns the subject to BS (call it "boat speed") then a little accuracy can't hurt. Reaching speeds are fun but upwind VMG's are also important.

As for "does it matter if it takes 14 or 16 days" I would think that would depend upon the weather for those extra two days and how the food was holding out.

I should know better than to get into a Westsail debate.
I think I'll go over to the hi-fi sites and get involved with a tubes vs transistors argument. I like tubes but I cover both bases by having two systems, one tube powered and one solid state. Want to argue about it? There are reams of numbers proving that SS is better than tubes but in the end the preference is subjective, i.e. individual ears, and the numbers only tell a small part of the audio story.

Kind of like boats.

Last edited by bobperry; 10-07-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2011
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
And this is why revisiting old threads IS a good thing. I, for one, am lovin' this.
Old 10-08-2011
grumpy old man

Yep, it's all fun.
As a famous sailor once said, "I'm sailing! Look Dr. Marvin I'm sailing!"
Old 10-08-2011

Strait Shooter is on a distinguished road
Good quote Bob!

I saw this on a tee shirt the other day and it reminded me of some of these conversations.

"It's all fun and games until someone comes home with a cone on their head."
Old 10-08-2011
grumpy old man

My pal Special Ed used to wear a T shirt that said, "Don't you wish stupidity was painful".

I think I have worn the cone home a couple of times myself.
Old 10-08-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
"Don't you wish stupidity was painful".
Where can I get one of those. Actually, it can be pretty painful, as anyone who has worked much on boats can attest.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-08-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I think I'll go over to the hi-fi sites and get involved with a tubes vs transistors argument. I like tubes but I cover both bases by having two systems, one tube powered and one solid state. Want to argue about it? There are reams of numbers proving that SS is better than tubes but in the end the preference is subjective, i.e. individual ears, and the numbers only tell a small part of the audio story. Kind of like boats.
Bob, your tubes comment reminded me of my sister - she was one of those people who took a perverse pride in some Luddite tendencies. When CD's first came out I was playing one for her and she started going on about how she preferred the "warmer" sound of vinyl records. I went to my amp and switched on the 12 Khz filter and, voila - her preferred warmer sound. I then explained to her about how the frequencies above that were destroyed by the first playing of a vinyl record.

I'm just a little too young to have experienced much tube stereo but somehow I think there is a similar principle happening there. However, you're the musician and I'm not so........

Also, since I can't hear past 10 Khz any more, it's all a bit moot to me now.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-08-2011

patience w32 is on a distinguished road
Boats are like mates and thankfully we have more than a few to choose from. Your mate would not be right for me any more than mine for you. Having owned my westsail 32 for 18 years I can truthfully say that she is the right boat for me. She gets in a groove on ocean passages that can not be described but has to be felt. I'm almost dissapointed at the end of a passage because I have to stop for food and water. My boat is loaded heavy for cruising but still manage 140 mile plus days not racing just cruising while reading a book or baking bread. In 1997 I ran from hurricane Guillermo under storm staysail only for two days in 25 foot seas with the tiller lashed midship thinking I was glad not to be in a lesser boat. I hope you find that perfect boat for you because they are rare indeed. Lee W32 Patience
Trekka and WanderingStar like this.
Old 10-09-2011
grumpy old man

JohnB:
I listen to tubes in the office and I love them. I listen to solid state downstairs and I love that too but I most certainly prefer the sound of a well pressed lp to a cd. I'm not after "warmth". I'm after transients and dynamics. I want to hear the music between the dots.

I have a very nice cd player upstairs and an even more nice one downstairs (NAIM) but my ears like vinyl. I do not have a turntable in the office. I can't be jumping up and down flipping over record while I am working.

The tubes vs ss vs digital vs analog war rages on. It's all fun for me.

And it's so much fun hunting thru used record stores.
Old 10-09-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
There are a lot of ways to measure the enjoyment of a boat but I can't think of any that are objective and that's just fine. The love of sailing is anything but objective.
I should know better than to get into a Westsail debate.
I could not agree more

Regards

Paulo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.