Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2009
Francophobe

TheFrog is on a distinguished road
Prankster,

Your thoughts match mine.

If you do want a dinghy, there are many, many to choose from. Search around here and you will find a number of threads with recommendations. Just a partial list:
Flying Junior, Thistle, Highlander, Flying Scot, Lightning, O'Day Daysailor, Boston Whaler Harpoon, Buccaneer, Capri 14.2, Precision, etc.

You need to know how many people you want to be sailing with and what type of sailing. For most of the boats I listed, you can hunt around and find ones in all different conditions. Most are very low maintenance if dry sailed. They all have different characteristics. Many come up on Craigslist, eBay, or a bulletin board at a local sailing spot.

Quote:
Golf is an exercise in Scottish pointlessness for people who are no longer able to throw telephone poles at each other.
-Florence King

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
's signature.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2009

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road
Price Sounds High...

This boat has potentially big problems, and obviously many modest problems. That seems like a price twice (or more) as high as it should be.

I closely watch the prices for O'Day Daysailers. Granted, they're a bit smaller at 17 feet, but their usable cockpit space is comparable with a Flying Scot.. both get real crowded with more than 4.

A very clean water-ready O'Day with decent trailer and maybe even a small outboard can be had for $1500 all day long and a patient shopper can get one for $1200 or less.

Scots are nice boats, but there have been a lot of them made... I think the comment that they don't hit the market very often is exaggerated... I'd pass on this boat unless you're:
a) handy doing your own repairs
b) enjoy doing your opwn repairs

But if you want to get on the water, keep looking.
Old 06-13-2009

micksbuddy is on a distinguished road
I'd definitely pass on this one. I bought #768 last year for $2300(older at '65, but it's one design, so who cares?) and it had a pretty good trailer, 3 sets of sails(including one almost new set of Madsails) and was ready to go. I sailed it quite a bit last summer and am getting ready to go for my first sail this summer. You should defintely be able to better than that.

Matt
Old 06-13-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
If you're into one-design racing and FS's are the only show in town, this one is not going to put you at the front of the fleet. If you're not into one-design racing, or if there are other boats racing locally, FS's are (imho) downright ugly tubs. If you're looking to get into something a bit cruisier/keelier in the long run, why not look for a used J/24? Decent ones are available for around $5000 all over the country, and ones needing work can be had for less than what this seller thinks his very tired dinghy is worth. I saw a J/24 this morning that had been sold, with trailer, for $1.00 plus the yard bill (maybe $1000?). The deck needed about 3 square feet of recoring to be ready for another 15 years of sailing. ($500 to have a professional do it?) You can get on course towards your long-term goal without breaking the bank, in a boat that isn't too much to handle, and which has a steady and broad resale market. Switch gears and move on, as far as this dinghy is concerned.
Old 06-14-2009

merryprankster is on a distinguished road
I'm definitely passing on this. I was looking at it as something close easily trailerable. Definitely looking for bigger in the long run though. Talking with a guy that has an Allied Princess II and am going to look at that soon. There's a handful of boats close by me (South Padre Island, Port Isabel) but I've always got Corpus, Houston, Galveston to look too.

I'm really in the market for 30'+ cruiser but taking my time with that big of an investment.
Old 06-27-2012

thekidprodigy87 is on a distinguished road
Re: Flying Scot

I am brand new to the forum (first post). I have been asked to sell a relative's Flying Scot for him. I need help in determining fair market value. It was manufactured in 2001. He was the original owner. The only things that really need repair are the the canvas cover (needs replacement), the main stay (fraying), tires on the trailer (maybe popped or may just need air) and the electrical wires on the trailer hitch for the lights got severed (should be repairable). Aside from that the boat is in good condition. Any help in determining what fair market value would be on the west coast would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-28-2012
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

try here
Forums | Flying Scot Sailing Association
Old 06-28-2012

thekidprodigy87 is on a distinguished road

Thanks!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.