Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2009

t4li3sin is on a distinguished road
I know what I want, But where is it?

A (even eventual) small ocean going sailboat. My budget is 5000$ Cad. Im in Victoria, BC. I know it's probably better a few thousand miles south, In Ca or Mexico, but a trip would cut my budget's throat pretty bad. I also promised myself when I cam back to the country that I wouldnt leave it again by any other mean than on a sailboat. SO! I can't seem to find the right one. Lots of Cal 20s. But they look a tad fragile. I read some guy went from California to Hawaii, through a 6 days gale, and made it after a bit less than a month. It was probably modified. A rudder hanging out from the stern would probably be interfered with by aft waves (That is totally made up assumption, just my common sense and logic, Plz tell me if Im rolling graciously in my filthy, muddy ignorance; applies to everything i write about boats and such). The (side?) stays are attached only to the deck... !! I dont think I want one of those, or any other design of that "genre". But that seems like whats out here. How do I find an affordable ocean capable boat? I always check the internet, spend alot of time at local marinas (Retirees-mafia controlled territories, Ahah!). Brokers want more commission than how much I can spend! I pondered alot about a Trekka replica (See other post). Also some converted lifeboat(Sorry not able to link, but post in same section), but thats another story altogether, and I would probably have to do all my sailing downwind or on a reach (But its been done b4 right ? :P). So, any ideas or suggestions? Thank you so much (I know I ask alot, but you guys have helped me much already, and I really appreciate)

Let's finish with some very good remark, by a man who risked it all.
"Il faut vivre la vie."
-Donald Crowhurst

Last edited by t4li3sin; 06-12-2009 at 11:04 PM. Reason: HTML links problems
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2009

Today's saturday, so everybody is sailing. Im in front of a computer screen, and I need to shave. I started reading Dove today. Is anybody here in Victoria, BC, and sailing off somewhere? Anywhere but the USA, the "bodies of authority" seem to always pick on me there. I was questioned in L.A. once by a patrol, as I looked suspicious, because I was walking. South American would be really nice (Or central). Would love to see the Marquises, Fanning Isl. !!! Or Japan, Vietnam. New-Zealand, where I could get married and become permanent resident!!! Canada is so cold. Cant leave on a plane. Someone help plz. Has anyone found a boat?
Old 06-14-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd look at James Baldwin's Boat List

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-15-2009

Well I saw a Flicka for sale here. 20k. Ill give a call to the devil to ask how much he'll give me for my soul.
Old 06-15-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I would say that much in your question does show a bit of lack of the kind of basic knowledge that it would take to voyage offshore safely in a small. While I am not suggesting that a Cal 20 is a suitable small boat to go offshore on without major mod's, the particular points that you raise are worthy of comment.

Historically, outboard rudders were the preferred rudder for offshore use on small boats. Small boats cannot carry the spare parts to make a spare rudder or major repairs to an inboard. The comparative light weight and simplicity of an outboard rudder and their ability to be unshipped and repaired and rehung, made them the hands down favorite for offshore small boat sailors. That said, they need to be properly engineered, constructed and installed.

Similarly with the shroud attachment point. It does not matter whether the shrouds are attached through the deck or to the hull. In either case, it is important that there be proper reinforcment of the hull, and hull to deck connection in the area of attachment. Typically, this is by some combination of hanging knees, longitudinal stringers, bulkheads and flats. I would be surprised if the Cal's shrouds are only attached to the deck, (they wouldn't be the only small boat to do that) but more likely than not there is some addition reinforcing that make that possible. If not it would be moderately easy to add.

Now then, in the bigger picture, I really question that you will be able to find a true offshore ready boat for under $5k. Anything that you are likely to find in that price range is bound to be tired and in need of moderately expensive upgrades to go offshore. At the very least I would be skeptical that you will find a $5k boat with offshore capable sails and adequate tankage in that range.

If I had to look for a suitable boat as a platform for what you propose, I would try to find something like a folkboat derivative (Henry Walton had a really nice fiberglass folkboat built in Canada in the mid-1960's an example of which I have seen offered for sale for $2500 in the States), Sailmaster 23 or 26, or perhaps a Tartan 27, rather than the less suitable Carl Alberg designs that you often see touted on the internet. But whatever you find in that price range, you better be prepared to spend a lot more than $5000 to make the boat suitable for offshore use.

Respectfully,
Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 06-15-2009

saildork is on a distinguished road
There was an Albin Vega (27ft) in lower Alaska on Ebay recently. Might still be there. Otherwise, I'd be looking into Yachtworld or a similar site for boats in your area. I'm sure there's something in the PNW that will meet your needs, even at a pretty low price. Of course, JeffH is right. To get it ready for an ocean voyage, you'll need a couple more boat-bucks before you can cast off.
Old 06-15-2009

Yea yea, that's what I mean; get a boat that could eventually be made ready. But the main idea is that, as time goes and I get more and more ready, while we get closer and closer to things I dont want to talk about here (Not the time or place, plus I wouldnt want to trigger reactions), I would be more or less capable of heading off before I get caught in something not good. Like they say, you want to be at the right place at the right time, or be ready to leave the wrong place at the right time. Thanks for the info people, Ill keep looking out for those boats. Some of you are talking about Alaska and such, so basically saying I should be traveling there, but how do I get on trips like that and keep money for the boat? When I started the thread, I was trying to explain that I could not find anything proper for sale in the places I'v looked (Locally). But I just keep on looking, and Ill go to a place called SALTS today (Sailing and Life training Society). Ill ask if I can skip the life training part, as I sorta know how to breath and feel well enough for now.
Old 06-15-2009
99% landlubber, 1% sailor

modul8 is on a distinguished road
5gs for a freshwater 27 foot sailboat in St. Catherines, Ontario
1978 twenty Seven Foot Buccaneer Sailboat
might be worth a call
honestly there are some steals south of the border that would be worth the trip.
any particular model you're hunting for? Perhaps I can help you search..
Old 06-15-2009

TAREUA is on a distinguished road
1978 Cascade 29 classic for sale in Lakeway, TX: Cruiser (sail) - SailboatTraderOnline.com

FOR YOUR KIND OF MONEY YOU MAY BE ABLE TO PICK UP ONE OF THESE IN WASHINGTON OR OREGON. VERY STOUT BOAT WITH MUTIPLE CIRUMNAVIGATIONS.