SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

C & C

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Stede 
#1 ·
C & C

Any opinions on the blue water capabilites of an older C & C 35? Granted, her systems would need to be in top shape, but I''m interested in opinions on how well this design is or isn''t acceptable as a "blue water'' cruiser. (Either model, Mark 1 or Mark 2) Thanks!

#2 ·
C & C

Looked at (for purchase) a Mk I that had been raced Newport-Bermuda a number of times - like 5. She was pretty beat, but seemed to have made the trips OK. (Nothing that some awlgrip couldn''t improve.) Crossing the Gulf Stream can be nastier than the Atlantic, even though going to Bermuda is a lot quicker. Concerns I''d look into would be having sufficient storage space and water for long hauls, and making sure the hull and deck coring weren''t delaminated anywhere.

#3 ·
C & C

Thanks for the feedback paulk. Some of the items you mentioned, I also had listed for concerns. I think some time back I read an article that mentioned the decks are balsam-cored, and that moisture can be a real problem.Anyway, I single-hand most of the time and the 35 caught my eye because of it''s deck layout.

#4 ·
C & C

If you singlehand a lot, I would suggest that you look for a fractional rigged boat or at least a boat with a proportionately bigger mainsail and smaller jib than the C&C. While a small mainsail big jib boat can be short handed, having spent a lot of time singlehanding both a fractional rig is wildly much easier to trim and tack and much easier to handle in changeable conditions.

Jeff

#5 ·
C & C

Jeff_H

Could you please recommend any fractional rigged boats in the 32-35ft.range that have the following characteristics: (1) can be easily sailed single-handed (2)are blue water capable (3) have a decent turn of speed
(4)draft no more than 6ft.(5)good storage area.Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

#6 ·
C & C

Until fairly recently Farctional rigs were primarily used on raceboats. As hardware has improved they are becoming far more common. The Europeans really pioneered Frac cruisers so their are more of them. Here''s a quick partial list.

Beneteau First 36.7- New Farr designed 36 footer. Very nice boats. I have been racing on her larger sister. The boat that I have been on has done close to 10,000 miles offshore and still looks like new. Not your father''s Beneteau.

Contessa 33. I have spent a lot of time on these boats. They are really spectacularly wonderful boats. Build quality was super. They sail well and have a very ingenious layout.

Dehler Optima 101 (35)- This would be very high on my list. Good all around boats.

Dehler 35 CWS- Well build and neat detailing. Not exactly my favorite but good boats.

Dehler 34 (Dehler 34 top)(Dehler Optima 101)
These are three subtly different boats. I look at an Optima 101 for myself and really liked the boat but ws a little small for what I wanted (I ended up with a 38 footer).

Farr 1020; These would be near the top of my list. Great little boats.

Hanse 341: I have been very impressed with Hanse. This is a little known German company in the US but they are very respected in the EU. Except for some minor details, I have have liked what I have seen of thier boats.

J 109- Cool new boats. I have not sailed one but if you can afford a new boat this would be a be a good one.

Sea Sprite 34: This is a more traditional design and one that I don''t know exceptionally well. These would not be high perforance boats but they have always struck me as well built, sensible and attractive.

Sigma 33: I knew a couple that had done the transatlantic, the Carribean and US Atlantic in one. I would try to find a non race version as the race version is very stark.

Sigma 35- Older English boats. Well constructed and nicely detailed.

X-342 X boats are more on the racier end of the scale but seem well done.

I am afraid that I am out of time this morning.

Jeff

#9 ·
C & C

Thanks dtfm,
My issue of CW just came yesterday. I did take a look at the article on the 35.The differences between the Mk1 and Mk2 are interesting.They are the same boat, but very different.I really like the specs.on the Mk2 ( longer water line,and heavier displacement) and still have it on my "possible list." Jeff H made some very good recommendations and I''m exploring them as well.

#10 ·
C & C

I am just about to purchase a 1980 C&C 25 Mk2 and have a few concerns. Firstly, the mast step the deck has be depressed by about 3/4" below decks is solid. I had the boat surveyed by a very reputable surveyor who said that the step compression was not structural and it was a concern what do you think? I am considering leaving the mast up until spring 2004 and then have it taken down and have the deck fixed. should I be concerned and do it now> or should I walk away from the boat?
Thanks for any help

#11 ·
C & C

Hi Stede: I have a C&C 35 Mk II 1974. I was out in S.F. Bay today in 18 - 22 knts true, with a full main and 95% jib. I can easily single hand the boat but I''ve added 6 self tailing winches, autopilot, 2 rope clutches on the boom, electric windlass, and a lot of things below to make the boat more comfy, i.e. frig, new Origo stove, deisel heater,etc. Without a reef in the main, the boat is wet in the cockpit if you have waves above 2 feet and as you know, the boat is very pretty but low in the water. I usually have 1 reef in the main, never furl the jib, and we have 25 to 30 knots every day on the bay in the summer, with gusts to 35. My boom is low so there''s little room for a dodger without interfering with the winches on the deck.
i''m also finishing a Cheoy Lee 51 for a trip to the South Pacific and NZ. I''d look into heavier boats for crossing oceans altho many C&C 35''s are in the California to Hawaii races every year. good luck, Paul

#12 ·
C & C

Hey Paul, thanks for the info.on your boat.Man,I can just imagine the boat rocketing around SF bay.I really like the boat.I''ve narrowed my list down to around 4 boats.I''m a little undecided on the C&C 35.I think the boat would make a great coastal cruiser,and be good at doing some trips over to the Bahamas, etc.but like you mentioned,I don''t know if I would want to cross oceans on one or not.For that matter though,I''m not sure I want to cross oceans.My plan is to get a boat that is capable of doing both,and then I''ll play the rest by ear.Good luck with the Cheoy Lee 51.Another beautiful boat. I envy you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.