SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

opinion needed on Sonic 23

9K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  FM247 
#1 ·
Hi, my wife and I are looking at a Sonic 23, and wondered if anyone had an opinion on this boat as a starter boat for beginner sailors with two small kids.We''d primarily use it as a daysailor,but figure the kids ( at least now, at 7 and 4 !) would get some use out of the cabin ( and let us concentrate on our newly devolping skills...well hopefully!) Any thoughts?

Colin
halifax
Nova Scotia

#2 ·
Colin

If you like the layout of the Sonic 23 then you should also consider several other boats readily available in Halifax:

1. Paceship P23 & Tanzer 22. Similar layout inside with large cockpits. The Tanzer can be found much cheaper than a Sonic (5-7K CDN) as can the P-23. These boats are older than the Sonic but also less expensive to buy.

2. Paceship PY23 has more headroom than the P23 or the Tanzer and is more for cruising than those two models. Several for sale at Sunnybrook Yachts in Mahone Bay.

3. Parks 23. One for sale in Tatamagouche area. (See BHYC website). This is by far the nicest of all the models as it was built in 1991. Very nice interior and nice to sail. Sails are all reasonably new as is the Honda outboard. The downside is the price. about 13K Cdn

4. CS22 has a centerboard keel version that is good for shallow water channels. These are nice boats although not plentiful in Halifax.

There are other boats as well such as Catalina, Hunter, Oday that all make decent 22-23 footers. I believe you can even get into a C&C24 for about the same price as a Sonic 23 and it is a lot more boat than any of the above.

The main concern I would have with the Sonic is the Pop top. Some people consider a pop-top a bonus but I am thinking it may be more of a detriment. I have seen the interior of a Sonic 23 and it appears to be quite nice. Not entirely sure of its sailing reputation ...

Sorry if this posted twice but I could not find my original reply.

Good luck!

Mike
Halifax

#3 ·
paulpeople said:
Hi, my wife and I are looking at a Sonic 23, and wondered if anyone had an opinion on this boat as a starter boat for beginner sailors with two small kids.We''d primarily use it as a daysailor,but figure the kids ( at least now, at 7 and 4 !) would get some use out of the cabin ( and let us concentrate on our newly devolping skills...well hopefully!) Any thoughts?

Colin
halifax
Nova Scotia
Hi Colin

I bought a Sonic 23 this summer and I love it. The Sonic is fast, all the fitting is solid and oversize, it's built like a tank, it run very easily and the interior is huge for the size of the boat. A good choice.

Stephane

#4 ·
Sonic 23

Excellent Family Racer/Cruiser! I have owned mine since 1983 and have enjoyed many summers with the kids weekending on the boat. We primarily sail on Lake Wallenpaupack in PA. but, the Sonic is very definitely sea worthy. She is actually over built and sails extremely well in both heavy and light wind. She handles like a race car and can almost do a complete 360 in the distance of her length! If you have the opportunity to test sail one, you will be convinced! I was! Every part is top notch from her sturdy pop-top which you can stand on! to her quality deck fittings and winches! Well, what more can I say! Best of luck ~! Great Choice~!:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.