Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2009

FreeSail is on a distinguished road
Once again, I apologize for my replies. I experiece technical dificulties...
Sailingog, I came in US when I was 23 with 2 suitcases and nothing elese.
I know I'm missing basicaly everything but I couldn't do it othrway. It is my dream to have a yacht and navigate it. I don't even know if I will like it in reality. All I know I have made a lot of sacrifices to pursue my dream and is nothing there to dicourage me or stopping at least of trying...
I got all your pertinent concerns and believe me I am the kind of guy that takes all precautions...
Thanks again for your opinions, advices and concerns. I do appreciate them and take them seriously.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2009

saltydawg is on a distinguished road
The best thing you can do is start going to boat shows and demo days and even do a charter trip or two. You need to feel them out yourself and see which one works for you.

I will agree that handling a 40+foot cat as a rookie couple is going to be challenging. You CAN learn on a cat though, but it wouldn't hurt to start racing locally to get your feet wet on smaller monohulls.

My husband and I were both small boat racers and then our first boat we bought together (when we were still dating) was a PDQ36 cat. LOVED that boat and was the perfect size for a couple (though not a round the world boat). That boat was a kind and patient teacher on the hard knocks of cruising. But it helped that we had basic sail handling under our belts from racing and small boat sailing. So what I am saying is, start sailing NOW before you buy a boat.

There are some sturdy smaller cats like Prouts, Admirals, and Privelege (39). 40+ feet is a lot to clean, dock, maintain, and sail. If we didn't start having kids, we would have stuck to the 36-39 foot range.

Best to you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-29-2009

surfnrg is on a distinguished road
Recommended Book

Hey Freesail, Your plans sounds epic. I was hoping to cruise the Caribbean in my Wildcat 350 then the economy turned sour so I sold the boat to an awesome family that's cruising the Caribbean as we speak. So glad the boat is doing what I originally intended it to do. Life's too short. Pursue your dreams while you're still young and healthy. You only live once, I think.., To gain knowledge I highly recommend the book "Catamarans: The Complete Guide for Cruising Sailors (Hardcover) by Gegor Tarjan. Lots of insight into catamarans and full of awesome photos. Available on Amazon. And best of luck with your vision.
Old 06-29-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Here's a couple going around the world in an Antares 44. Just the two of them most of the time.

This is the Main Page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 06-29-2009
SSQ74

pontiakos is on a distinguished road
Welcome Freesail...great idea..I have a couple of recommendations which may help you get u to where u want to go..

1.) Do not buy a $500k boat right now, while u may think a cat is the way to go, after 1 or 2 years of sailing your requirements will most definitely change
2.) Buy a used $50k 27-31 ft sailboat, learn how to do the simple repairs and maintenance that always come up, get familiar with handling a smaller boat. See what u like in the boat, see what u do not like and for your next boat set it up based on your expertise.
3.) Southern Florida and the Caribbean are a great place to learn and one of the world best places to sail. Get proficient (not comfortable, PROFICIENT)with navigation, sail handling, port of entry protocol, provisioning, anchoring, sea keeping, weather interpretation and a host of other skills which you need once u slip the lines.
4.) As sailing dog mentioned a catamaran as your first boat may not be the best to learn on, I would recommend that you learn on a monohull, get your certification and then rent both thru one of the many liveries in the Caribbean, then make your decision.

Your goals are great, just go about this project as you would any business venture. Listen, learn, learn some more, go out and have fun.

Sailing is a great lifestyle, your timeline is reasonable, this website (along with others) is a great resource. Welcome aboard.
Xx Darkwing xX likes this.
Old 06-29-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're serious about multihulls, I'd highly recommend you pickup Chris White's The Cruising Multihull and Mike McMullen's Multihull Seamanship.

As for learning to sail... My recommendation to you is to spend your first year coastal cruising and doing progressively longer sails and working your way up to short blue water passages and then longer and longer passages.

I'd also recommend that you take at least a basic ASA 101 learn to sail course, which will give you a solid foundation to base your learning on. Better yet, take the whole sequence, including the 101, 103, 104, 105 and 106 courses, which would give you the basic fundamentals of cruising on a sailboat... along with the navigation skills you'll need.

If you want to learn how to do this yourself, the basic 101 course is a minimum IMHO, and will get you off to a fairly decent start.

I'd recommend you pick up the following books:

Dave Seidman's The Complete Sailor
Richard K. Hubbard's Boater's Bowditch
Beth Leonard's The Voyager's Handbook
Richard Henderson's Singlehanded Sailing
Don Casey's This Old Boat and Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual
The Annapolis Book of Seamanship or Chapman's.

This basic library will give you a basic sailing primer, a basic book on navigation techniques, a book on cruising, a book on sailing long distances singlehanded, two books on sailboat maintenance and upkeep, and a book on the rules and traditions of seamanship.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailingdog For This Useful Post:
Big B (08-15-2013)
Old 03-03-2012
Compass Spinner

WideOpenDDS is on a distinguished road
Pair a Docs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSail View Post
My wife and I are both dentists. We have been working for the last 12 years...
Very cool. I'm a DDS n a different boat. My wife divorced me when I told her I wanted to sell the to practices and circumnavigate. I've been looking at Catamans for about two years now (I owned a 1935 36' wooden monohull liveaboard in Daytona for 5 years at the turn of the century). I like the Cats because 1) they don't heel, spilling your beer under sail, they are more roomy and the living room, bar and back porch are all on the same floor and 2) Chicks dig #1. Well at least non-sailing, or newbie Skipperettes do. I also like no having to pay Seatow when a sand bar shifts after a blow preventing one from making it to ones fav drinking establishment until the tide comes in.

Anyway.. The Cats I like for single handing are in the 36'-42" range, and the ones I keep coming back to are the Manta 42' or 45' with its self tacking jib and the davit mounted sling seat and the large double helm seat when you are sailing with your baby. I like the S.African boats (Jaguar 36, Leopards 38'-'45) because there are alot of them out there in bareboat fleets and you can get a bargain used one if you look enough for one that's not been abused. You are looking at $350 +/- $100 for new or used. or even under $200. The Mantas even come with a Wash/Dryer, so lots of bails and whistles, well made, great layout, and that self tacking Jib makes it easy. for someone learning or short hand situ's
Recently I found a nice Prout that I probably would buy today. Fits my bill @ 39', $180K, Super large U shaped seating in the salon, that three (or more) could lay one (also makes a bed when the table is down), which is a consideration, as some rounded couches won't let you lay strait. the prout also has a smaller main sail and is stepped more aft, and can run with a staysail and a head sail.. giving you lots of canvas size options and helps newer sailors from getting overpowered if caught with huge main full in a micro squall or blast... which happens. One other note.. there has never been a reported incident of a Prout capsizing. 39' multi = 50' mono when considering stowage and roominess.

And finally A Monohull that I Like is the new Beneteau Sense 50' At ~E250.00 New (1st year new). It is wide (15.8' wide), has lots of room, can order the cabin in a 3.5 bed or 2.5 bed and large "office" version, and the Transom folds down like a station wagon tailgate , so you can tangle your tootsies of the back porch. PLUS, and this is the kicker.. it has a bow thruster that is set up with a joystick that makes docking in any weather an easy one man job. Personally I would do a 50' mono if I knew I could dock it myself routinely, and not have to count on yelling instructions to a new girlfriend and having her complain that I'm always yelling at her. I would much rather "park" with cocktail in hand and my honey in good spirits.

Thats my two cents worth, more like a $1.95 Write me. I'd like to see where you are in your journey. I'm hoping to relocate to Malta and sail the Med pulling teeth for diesel and Ice cube money. WideOpenDDS@Yahoo.com
Old 03-03-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Three year old thread mate - reply unlikely!
Old 04-17-2012

kuching is on a distinguished road
Re: Best catamaran for circumnavigation

Look seriously at the Freydis. It's designed by Eric LeRouge as a blue water performance cruiser. It's comfortable and fast and easy to sail by a couple and at a push can be singlehanded. I've been sailing one that I bought used for about $310,000. It's 11 years old now (I've owned it for almost 7 years) and there have been no problems. I've cruised from Australia to India and now have it in Malaysia. I wouldn't trade it for a heavier Privilege or more expensive Gunboat. They do make them new but there are a couple or used ones around ( search for Snow Leopard) . Good luck! And don't listen to those who might discourage you because you don't know how to sail. I've met lots of cruising people who bought their boat and the learned to sail including circumnavigators. Not a problem!
Old 04-17-2012

endoit is on a distinguished road
Re: Best catamaran for circumnavigation

Fantastic dream but take some time in preparing. For your plans ASA 101-105, charter 2-3 boats for 1-2 weeks at a time in nice and not so nice weather. I too always dreamed of sailing, emigrated with 1 suitcase, put myself through college and dental school and in my fifties stopped getting sea sick. Now sailing Chesapeake on a Bristol 35.5.