Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012

Xx Darkwing xX is on a distinguished road
Re: Best catamaran for circumnavigation

While I see this is an older thread I have gleaned some great info. Thanks to pontiakos, wide openDDS and sailingdog, in particular, for the list of books which I will look in to. I am moving to Pensacola area soon and, while I have a lot of water and boat exp, I have only limited sailing and sailboat ownership under my belt. My wife and I took ASA 101 and I truly want a multihull (space, safety, comfort). Top dream boats seem to be the Antares line but I think finances will prevent that. I am seriously considering a monohull approx 30-40 feet to learn on for about 2-3 years. Does this seem like long enough to get proficient before moving to multi? I will also take the other ASA courses. I know all boats aren't bluewater but assume with proper provisioning they can be. I have much to learn and am thankfull to anyone who shares their knowledge herein. The goal is to spend serious time aboard once proficiency is gained in 3-5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2012

oneshotonekill is on a distinguished road

I realize this is an old thread, but it seems to have some sound advice for those of us with BIG dreams and financial matters in order. It seems that the biggest safety issue with cats is regarding capsizing due to too much sail area in heavy wind. Would the moral of the last statement be don’t get in a hurry; keep your sails in a bit and speed less than max for a margin of safety? All comments welcome!
Old 08-02-2012

james3 is on a distinguished road

I am almost in the same situation of FreeSail, I live in Europe and I was thinking to buy an used Lagoon 440 that seems a good deal to me, but in this thread nobody talks about Lagoon catamarans for circumnavigate
Old 11-24-2012

Saucierlm is on a distinguished road

Why don't you and your wife consider chartering a catamaran with an experienced crew for a time or two, choose the area you plan to sail alone, ask them specifically to let you handle the boat so you can feel what you're getting into, you can sail it, docking is the question, a lot comes at you fast, the wind isn't always your friend..
Take your dream and run with it.. Education is important in all endeavors..

Good Luck ..
Old 06-05-2013

Gaelen is on a distinguished road

My wife and I found an '05 FP Bahia 46 and LOVE IT. We looked at lagoon, antares, leopard, jaguar, voyage, etc. and just couldn't get the comfort, speed, stability, ease of handling, bridge deck clearance . . . even on some larger models.

This is her first real foray into the cruising thing, and we are very satisfied. One note however, I was, for a time, skipper of a FP Eleuthera 60 so you could say our perspective is a bit skewed.

Bottom line, if you have any questions or even want to stop into Charleston, drop us a line :-)
--
Gaelen

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.