SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Best catamaran for circumnavigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/55718-best-catamaran-circumnavigation.html)

FreeSail 06-27-2009 04:17 PM

Best catamaran for circumnavigation

Hi there,

I am completly new to this forum and I don't know if this is an old subject, if somone touched it before, but i would like few opinions about a catamaran able to circumnavigate. I'm in late 30s and have saved enough to think about 4-5 years break. I have never sailed and I am ready to take classes and get some experience before going around the world. I want to buy a boat and and cruise the carribean for 1-2 years. My final intention is to circumnavigate and that's why I want a boat able to do it even tough I will first use it localy (around South Florida).
I am interested in a safe catamaran (in rough sea), 45'-50' long, ~$500.000, to be able to rest in normal sea condition, easy to handle.

thesnort 06-28-2009 05:45 PM

Hmmm....tell me how you can afford a half million dollar boat while still in your thirties and I'll give you my list!
Just kidding (in a serious way).
There are a lot of designs out there to look at; everything from the older British cats such as Sail Craft, Catalac, and Prout to the newfangled South African cats. Gunboats are extraordinarily fast, but I don't know if the interior layouts are all that great. Privilege is a name that comes up a lot for the long-distance sailors. There are others out there....

MMR 06-28-2009 06:13 PM

Put Voyage Catamarans on the list, also.

Freesail99 06-28-2009 06:28 PM

What kind of name is freesail? And a catamaran ? Welcome to sailnet.

FreeSail 06-28-2009 10:50 PM

tell me how you can afford a half million dollar boat while still in your thirties and I'll give you my list!
Just kidding (in a serious way).

FreeSail 06-28-2009 11:00 PM

I'm lost with the posting and reply procedure...
My wife and I are both dentists. We have been working for the last 12 years and saved money living in a 500/month efficiency and making approx 30k/month. I drive a 95 Corrola and she has a 98 Civic. We now want to buy an office and hire like 4 dentists, hygenists...etc. and a good manager to keep the finances safe while away...

FreeSail 06-28-2009 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freesail99 (Post 500874)
What kind of name is freesail? And a catamaran ? Welcome to sailnet.

Thanks 99! I'm not in sailing bussines. I'm here for pleasure and it's my free will...
Why a catamaran? I think with a proprer training is a safe boat to be handeled without extra crew...

sailingdog 06-28-2009 11:24 PM

Voyage, Seawind, Prout, Leopard, PDQ, Gunboat, Chris White Designs, all make catamarans that would be suitable. The real question is can you handle the boat.

First of all, you've never sailed. That's a huge strike against you.

Second, handling a boat that is 45' or larger takes a fair amount of strength and skill. Are you going to have crew? Sailing a boat that large is going to probably require crew to do so safely, especially given your absolute lack of experience.

Third, a large catamaran is probably one of the worst boats to learn to sail on, and this is coming from a multihull sailor.

Fourth, have you had any boat ownership/maintenance experience? I'm getting the feeling that you haven't. If not, learning the skills that cruising requires may take you quite some time. The average cruising sailor is often his own rigger, plumber, electrician, boatwright, painter, mechanic, etc....

Finally, do you have any clue what the maintenance and ownership costs of a 45'+ catamaran are going to be like? Seriously, finding a marina that will accept such a boat is going to be VERY, VERY expensive. Finding one that is capable of hauling and working on a boat is going to be fairly difficult
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeSail (Post 500635)
Hi there,

I am completly new to this forum and I don't know if this is an old subject, if somone touched it before, but i would like few opinions about a catamaran able to circumnavigate. I'm in late 30s and have saved enough to think about 4-5 years break. I have never sailed and I am ready to take classes and get some experience before going around the world. I want to buy a boat and and cruise the carribean for 1-2 years. My final intention is to circumnavigate and that's why I want a boat able to do it even tough I will first use it localy (around South Florida).
I am interested in a safe catamaran (in rough sea), 45'-50' long, ~$500.000, to be able to rest in normal sea condition, easy to handle.

FreeSail 06-28-2009 11:27 PM

I'm not really interested in a super fast catamaran, I don't need a super luxury interior but I am looking to a nice confortable, spacious deck cabin considerg the extensive trips I'm planning...

Thanks for your suggestions so far... I am in the process of studing them.

FreeSail 06-28-2009 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 500968)

...handling a boat that is 45' or larger takes a fair amount of strength and skill. Are you going to have crew? Sailing a boat that large is going to probably require crew to do so safely, especially given your absolute lack of experience.

I do not intend to sail alone. I have a friend who is a mechanical engineer and has some experience

...a large catamaran is probably one of the worst boats to learn to sail on, and this is coming from a multihull sailor.

I intend to take classes and will not jump in bluewater immediately.

Fourth, have you had any boat ownership/maintenance experience? I'm getting the feeling that you haven't. If not, learning the skills that cruising requires may take you quite some time. The average cruising sailor is often his own rigger, plumber, electrician, boatwright, painter, mechanic, etc....

You are right, I don't have that experience but I will give a try and I really don't think you need a PhD to learn the basic and the principles.

Finally, do you have any clue what the maintenance and ownership costs of a 45'+ catamaran are going to be like? Seriously, finding a marina that will accept such a boat is going to be VERY, VERY expensive. Finding one that is capable of hauling and working on a boat is going to be fairly difficult

I don't know anything about prices and maintanance.