Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009

JPGaillard is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JPGaillard
Valiant 42 vs. Passport 40

Hi all,

It is decision time. I have to chose between a 20 year old Passport 40 in perfect condition and nearly ready to go and a 10 year old Valiant 42 which needs quite a bit of work but is far superior of course. The price difference once everything is worked in is roughly $100k... A LOT of money.

I am struggeling. I know the Passport 40 is excellent. I am a singlehandler so it is a size I can cope with. It will keep me safe on my solo circumnavigation and the price is not outrageous. Downside is that it is old and may be harder to sell down the road and not as fresh as the Valiant 42 design...

For a $100k difference, or roughly 50% more, is a Valiant 42 really 50% more boat than a Passport 40? Is it not better for me for my first real boat to go for the cheaper one and then in a few years get myself a Valiant 42 or something at that time?

Thoughts welcome.

JP
Keep-Searching.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2009

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Dear former hedge fund manager/executive....

Why don't you buy both. If you haven't earned sufficient bonuses in your previous employment, maybe daddy can help out.

Having read your Bio I am disinclined to offer free advice to anyone, however young, who has played a part in our current financial debacle. Especially one who has managed to "earn" sufficient funds to support a nomadic lifestyle to find himself.

As you are currently paying $25K to become an "ocean graduate", I will be magnanimous and lower my fee to $400 pd for advice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-30-2009

It's funny you know. I now have long hair and a beard and when people look at me or speak to me initially they assume I am either a bum, uneducated or both. At passport controls it is harder with that look than a boring "princeton haircut", in particular throughout Europe and the US.

The one thing I have learned on my travels through Africa and most other places I have been lucky to see is that one should never, ever, rashly judge someone. There is usually more to most than meets the eye.

So all I'd offer is that when I am visiting Florida, which I hope I will before I head off to the Carribbean, is to have a drink with you and convince you of that simple thing.

Kind regards
JP
Old 06-30-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtod25 View Post
Why don't you buy both. If you haven't earned sufficient bonuses in your previous employment, maybe daddy can help out.

Having read your Bio I am disinclined to offer free advice to anyone, however young, who has played a part in our current financial debacle. Especially one who has managed to "earn" sufficient funds to support a nomadic lifestyle to find himself.

As you are currently paying $25K to become an "ocean graduate", I will be magnanimous and lower my fee to $400 pd for advice.
What the...!??? Where did that come from? Give me a break. That is the same kind of crap like where people in the US were throwing this big hissy fit for the bonuses (previously agreed upon) to AIG employees... people's lives ruined that had nothing to do with this. Judge the man by who he is and quit blaming everyone else for the mess that we are in today.

Quite candidly, I found your comments beneath what I have typically read from you here.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-30-2009

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
I will be delighted to meet you....

Drop me a e-mail when you are in the area.

I'm sure you are a very personable individual. As they say, "hate the sin, not the sinner".

Old 06-30-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGaillard View Post
Hi all,

It is decision time. I have to chose between a 20 year old Passport 40 in perfect condition and nearly ready to go and a 10 year old Valiant 42 which needs quite a bit of work but is far superior of course. The price difference once everything is worked in is roughly $100k... A LOT of money.

I am struggeling. I know the Passport 40 is excellent. I am a singlehandler so it is a size I can cope with. It will keep me safe on my solo circumnavigation and the price is not outrageous. Downside is that it is old and may be harder to sell down the road and not as fresh as the Valiant 42 design...

For a $100k difference, or roughly 50% more, is a Valiant 42 really 50% more boat than a Passport 40? Is it not better for me for my first real boat to go for the cheaper one and then in a few years get myself a Valiant 42 or something at that time?

Thoughts welcome.

JP
Keep-Searching.net
If I was going to solo or circum, the V-42 is the boat I would want. Of course, that assumes all things are equal which they may not be in this case.

I am currently about 100 feet from where they lay up the boats (Cedar Mills). I know the people pretty well that are there. THe boats are very well made and renound for what you want to do.

The Passports are good boats too and I would think they would be better light air performers. THe V-42's stink in light airs. I would feel comfortable in making a long distance passage in a Passport 40.

There are two things I would urge you to consider in this:

1) Are you CERTAIN you will circum? THe V-42, for all its long distance abilities, is a tight boat down below. I would think the Passport more comfortable.

2) Do not by via name. Buy these boats via how they were cared for. I would rather take a well cared for Bene or Catalina around the world than I would a poorly cared for Valiant. Make sense?

If you want something that I think is a bit of a compromise between the two, I would tell you to look at a Tayana 42. That is what my parents have. I am very familiar with the boat. It would be a comfortable live aboard, lots of storage, and would take you wherever you wanted to go. The Valiant is a better boat for a circum - but I think you would be fine on a Tayana 42 (and for that matter, the Passport too).

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-30-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul View Post
(be apprised, Brian "Cruisingdad", and I are ummmm, Valiant bigots. him, not so much. Me, oh, hell yeah. LOL. )
I always enjoy sailing past them and just waiving!!!

- CD

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-30-2009

Gents,

Thanks a lot for your input. I think it is easy to fall in love with the Valiants. They are really stellar boats and have sufficient horror stories to tell where they kept the crew alive. Plus they have a huge fan base in the US, which is a good thing I suppose.

I guess the point goes to value - 50% more for a Valiant 42 vs. a decent Passport 40 is where I choke a bit. Around the $280k mark for a Valiant 42, one starts getting into hugely expensive boats in my opinion and the competition then becomes stiff. For not that much more one can get a Halberg Rassy for example. When one stays under $200k all-in, ready to go, then there is not that much competition.

I thus wonder if a Passport 40, around $185k on-the water ready to go with everything needed is just not really better value.

I mean, if you want to circumvent but have the time to wait for decent weather and don't have to go out into 60KN winds, then you reduce the number of storms you encounter and thus the risk. Obviously being prepared for it is still key because these things happen, but I guess with a Valiant you can maybe just "go" no matter what. The Passport you may wait a bit, or just heave to a bit earlier...

The Tayana 42 is a really interesting case. I had looked extensively at the Tayana 37 and loved the style, sailing ability (even though dull in low winds) and storage, but found everything to be quite hard to access within the boat. The Passport in that regard is excellent: very well laid out, engine easy access, good design with the head at the bow to reduce weight, etc. The Tayana 37 for example had often Bow fuel tanks which are a no-go for me. I guess I should look into 42s a bit more, but there aren't any really good examples I could find so far.
Old 06-30-2009

By the way, I should mention: initially I had started looking at Contessa 32s... simply because the bigger the boat the harder it is to truly singlehand...

A Valiant 42 has a huge sail area. A Tayana 42 probably as well, despite being cutter rigged for most. The Ketch strategy is interesting, but it is something I personaly don't like.

The question is important. One usually gets tempted to go "bigger" (subject to budget) but in the end it is a compromise. Bigger is better maybe in strong weather, but not always. A Contessa 32 is probably the ultimate boat you'd want to be on in a really nasty storm... but then it is truly too small... esp if you are two or plan to chill on your sailing tour.

Hell I do plan do hang out in islands and surf, windsurf and simply live well for a while - that's where size to store stuff and live not out of a small bag and cabin makes a difference. I am sure everyone out there is facing the same dilemma. Plus I may find the lady of my dreams so you wouldn't want to share a shoe-box with her for a few years...

So in the end that would be a good topic to discuss related to optimum size in a separate thread some day. Not all 40ft boats are equal. The modern Sweden Yachts for example over here which I sail have massive sails. I could NOT singlehand a Sweden 42 for example. The main is too big to handle in 40+kn winds, drop and fold it. A Tayana 37 is small comparatively...
Old 06-30-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGaillard View Post
Gents,

Thanks a lot for your input. I think it is easy to fall in love with the Valiants. They are really stellar boats and have sufficient horror stories to tell where they kept the crew alive. Plus they have a huge fan base in the US, which is a good thing I suppose.

I guess the point goes to value - 50% more for a Valiant 42 vs. a decent Passport 40 is where I choke a bit. Around the $280k mark for a Valiant 42, one starts getting into hugely expensive boats in my opinion and the competition then becomes stiff. For not that much more one can get a Halberg Rassy for example. When one stays under $200k all-in, ready to go, then there is not that much competition.

I thus wonder if a Passport 40, around $185k on-the water ready to go with everything needed is just not really better value.

I mean, if you want to circumvent but have the time to wait for decent weather and don't have to go out into 60KN winds, then you reduce the number of storms you encounter and thus the risk. Obviously being prepared for it is still key because these things happen, but I guess with a Valiant you can maybe just "go" no matter what. The Passport you may wait a bit, or just heave to a bit earlier...

The Tayana 42 is a really interesting case. I had looked extensively at the Tayana 37 and loved the style, sailing ability (even though dull in low winds) and storage, but found everything to be quite hard to access within the boat. The Passport in that regard is excellent: very well laid out, engine easy access, good design with the head at the bow to reduce weight, etc. The Tayana 37 for example had often Bow fuel tanks which are a no-go for me. I guess I should look into 42s a bit more, but there aren't any really good examples I could find so far.
The Tayana Vancouver 42 is a totally different animal than the 37.

You will not just "go" in ANY boat, unless she is a tanker. You cannot guess your weather 5-7 days out, which means that if you are going to make a passage across the pond(s), you will have to deal with what comes.

One of the things I like about the Valiants (better than the Tayanas and Passports) are the decks and catwalks. Nice, wide, unobstructed walkways. The boats seem to sit a little lower (lower profile) too. The V-42 has top notch stainless and wiring. Their stainless is about unmatched.

The Tayana 42 does not have the stainless that the Valiant does in my opinion. You may also find many of them with teak decks. Regarding the teak decks, I used to be really negative on them. However, the more time I have spent on them (when wet), the more I like them. However, they get REALLY hot and you will always be replacing the bungs on the freaking things.

Down below, I think the Tayana 42 has the Valiant beat... big time. Even with the newer configurations on teh Valiants, the Tayanas are warmer and more functional and better liveabaords (at least on the aft cockpit models... I have no experience with the CC's). THe head and shower are great. THe aft and forward berths are decinvingly large and comfortable, you will simply lose stuff with all the storage, you can access the lazarette with a walkthrough behind the companionway steps (a great feature), and the salon is nice for both small (just yourself) and large entertainment.

If you are serious about this, fly to Dallas and head up to the Valiant facility. I will walk you through a Tayana Vancouver 42 and I am certain we can seem several examples (for sale even) of Valiant's. There are no Passports that I recall around us, but I can likely get you on a Panda too - assuming they are around. The Panda is another fine, go anywhere boat. You would also be welcome to see my Catalina 400, but it would not be a good choice for doing long distance passagemaking if that is actually what you are going to do.

Just let me know.

- Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.