Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Thanks Jeff and Marty,
I tend towards a more spacious or more seaworthy boat, but there is something to be said for being at the anchorage or marina before the weather hits. It seems wise to look towards the performance end of the spectrum. I have owned my own boat before but it was simply a place to drink beer while day sailing or night sailing which I did more of.

The whole cruising thing has been a longtime dream of mine that I now share with my fiance. She is not as adventurous as I so I would like a boat she is comfortable with so it does not become just my dream alone. I also plan on getting a drifter for whichever boat I get. I lived in a light wind area without one and definetly want light wind performance.

Other boats to look at this week for me
Ranger 23
Catalina 25
Balboa 26

Thanks
Jordan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2009
San Juan 26

LittleMissMagic is on a distinguished road
Sorry to b so late on this thread but I'm on the road. To put my own two cents in, since I own an SJ 26, they are not know for thier stability. I have done quite a few phrf races in Little Miss Magic and we have placed a couple of times and always held our own. It isn't as fast as some of the other SJs but can hold her own in the local fleets.
It is a very tender boat that is ideally suited for winds in the 5-15kt range. Anything other than that and you will need to reef both the main and jib quite a bit. If not the boat tends to have major weather helm and a tendency to round up. From what I understand, Clark Boats addressed this problem with the 7.7.
Other than that, i love my boat, it is solidly built, with no blistering problems on the hull or anything else major. The only thing I had a problem with was ventilation in the cabin, easily remedied. There is plenty of room for my family of five to go daysailing, or maybe a weekend overnight.
If you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me.
Old 07-02-2009

Thanks Jon for your update on info. That settles what I thought, however I figured it would be a more stable than that. I was thinking it would be a more stable boat, willing to give up some room below and some stability for a slightly faster boat at this point.

BTW, I used to live near the Gulf Coast and Gulf Shores was my favorite place, especially in winter.

Jordan
Old 07-02-2009
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Lots of cheap Craigslist boats around Seattle in your range just now.

An SJ7.7, not a dog. Not standing headroom, tho.

Nice Catalina 27. Older, but looks well-loved.

Ericson 26 that's been on blocks for a dozen years; at $3200, it may be worth a look.

If your budget and tow vehicle can take it, a Cascade 29 for 8k. Solid (tho dull) cruising boat, only 7500 lbs. Interior finish varies wildly.

Or, on the smaller side, an O'day 25 -- tho I question its righting moment!
Old 07-03-2009

Not in Seattle

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the suggestions. Just added to my signature. You can see a boat in Wyoming would be closer to me than one in Seattle. Know of any great cruisers for sale in WY?

I would love love to own a boat like the Cascade if I lived on the coast. What we would really like is a vacation home on the water. The Cascade would be a great boat for that. I also would love the Ericson. I have chartered one on the SF bay years ago, and race a 38 footer on Bear Lake in UT. I would love to own this one but by the time I got a trailer and a truck big enough to tow it it is out of my price range.

Within a 2 hour drive of here in SLC I have the following boats available with trailer:
  • Catalina 27 (could be great boat but needs work and no room for two to share a berth- important consideration for a newlywed.) $4500 without motor
  • Catalina 25 two avail. not standing head room but two places to sleep as a couple and ready to drop in the water and sail away. $5-6000
  • Balboa 26 Similar speed to the Catalina but swing keeled easier to launch and ready to sail.
  • $6000
  • Ranger 23 two available at around $3500 one without trailer and one without spinnaker or elect system.
I am surprised at the number of boats available almost $1000 miles from the coast. I really like the Ranger 23 a lot but feel the v-berth is cramped for cruising if I could find one on trailer ready to rigged to race I would be very interested.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-03-2009
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Whoops! My bad. Somehow the old brain said "Seattle." You planning to sail mostly on The Big Briny? And are you planning to slip there, or dry-sail? At any rate, you'll want a boat impervious to osmotic blistering. Some are more vulnerable than others. And an aluminum trailer, if you can get it! If buying local keep a CLOSE eye on standing rigging, esp around turnbuckles and chainplates, and try to get a look at keel bolts (fixed) or pivots and cables (swing). That's some darn salty water you got.

You looking at the Vegas Ranger (think its only one, listed twice)? The 28 is a good boat. Quick, like all Rangers. Funky hull shape -- narrow entry and stern, but beamy with tumblehome to make it a reasonable cruiser. Might have an interesting motion in big seas, but should be great on a lake. The tall mast option is worth a few seconds per mile, tho it's going to be a handful when the mountain winds pipe up.

You've prolly seen this Ranger 28 in Tahoe, right? Sounds like the poster needs to ease off the ephedrine a little, but the price sure turns your head. Definitely a "see in person, show me ID & title" sort of listing. Also a Cal25 there. I really like the Cal yachts.
Old 07-03-2009

Can't consider anything too far away unless it has a trailer and weighs under 6000 lbs.

Here are the current considerations.
ksl.com - Ad Listing

and
Balboa 26 Sailboat

and
ksl.com - Ad Listing

The crazy part of the salt water in the lake here, is it makes most boats impervious to blisters or growth. Nothing but brine shrimp can live in the water. I have been told that all you need to do is paint the boat bottom with epoxy paint to keep the bottom clean.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jephotog; 07-03-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-12-2010

CARRIEANN5 is on a distinguished road
I have SJ 26 with factory trailer for sale in Vegas...

pm me for more info, if you want...

Bill K.