Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2009

PowerkeithGX is on a distinguished road
Post need opinion on used sails.

I just bought my first sailboat, a 1974 Ranger 23 TM. I must buy a new headsail as it did not come with a 150% Genoa. I found this used sail for $425.

North Sails
LUFF 29'5"
LEECH 28'10"
FOOT 15'3"
7.5oz. cloth
Rope w/ #2 hanks
double stitched seams, leather at head and tack, sewn-in corner rings, LP=14.25'

My main sail is original and is torn at a seam. I found a main from a Ranger 26 that might fit. This one is $480.

WestWind Sails
LUFF 26'2"
LEECH 28'
FOOT 9'5"
6oz. firm
3/4" external slides shackled on luff, 3/8" bolt rope on foot wih 3/8" Clew slug, Stuck-on numbers, 2 draft stripes, Logo, Jack line, top full batten with bottom three partial, two reefs at 3'10" and 7'8".

The measurements for my boat are:

I = 30'
J = 9' 10"
P = 26' 7"
E = 9' 10"

However the online data says it is:

I = 30.00
J = 9.70
P = 25.75
E = 9.17

I would imagine that these sails I've picked would work well on my boat, however this is my first time buying sails, and I am very much a beginner. Are these quality sail makers? do the battens/reefs make sense? Is it the right weight cloth? Do they seem like a good price as well?

Thanks for the input!
-Keith
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
At those

At those prices used I'd contact Dirk at National Sail Supply first! You might be able to do brand new for not that much more...

Just as an example Dirk sells a brand new Catalina 22 main for $465.00 and a 150 genny for $450.00.. These sails are not far off the size for a Ranger 23.. Those used prices look rather insulting if new is not much more...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 07-03-2009
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
I'll second that. Dirk is very easy to work with and you get your order quickly. I bought a spinnaker from him, will do more business when I need another sail.
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-03-2009

RhosynMor is on a distinguished road
An alternative opinion.
Those prices are not too bad. sailwarehouse is offering new sails at that size for around 750 for the main and a little bit more for the genoa. I do think that the genny is a little heavy for your boat. IMHO you need something in the 5/6 oz range. Bacons in annapolis ( and I have no connection with them other than as a customer) has used sails in approx those sizes for about 100 less. I note that your quote does not give the condition of the sails.
Old 07-03-2009

The sails are both 90% + life left. I found them on Atlantic sail traders. I thought that the 7.5 oz for the head sail might have been too much. Thank you for the responses. I will keep up the search!
Old 07-03-2009

I guess I also forgot to mention that I cannot spend over $1000 on the two sails. I have about $2000 in the boat and I am on a budget.
Old 07-04-2009

Survivor is on a distinguished road
I just got a new roller furling sail from Atlantic Sail Traders and they were great. I couldn't find the used sail I wanted and the new sail wasn't much more than some of the used sails around. I suggest that you check them for new sails too. I have nothing to do with them other than to attest to the new sail and customer service I recieved from them.

Harris
Columbia River
Port of Kalama Marina
Kalama, Wa
Old 07-05-2009

I found this sail over at bacons...sounds like it would be a fun sail.

Luff 29' 6" Foot 14' 11" Leech 28' 9" Head 0' 0" Price $ 375.00

GENOA, 3.4 oz TRI RADIAL MYLAR/KEVLAR BY NORTH. 2" BRONZE HANKS SET TO GROMMETS WITH VINYL PROTECTORS ON COVERED ROPE LUFF. LEECH AND FOOT LINES. TELLTALE WINDOW. PEEL OFF NUMBERS AND DRAFT STRIPES. VERY MINOR DELAMINATION NEAR FOOT. BLUE BAG. GOOD.

What does delamination spell for a mylar/kevlar genoa?
Old 07-06-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Keith, you can get a bargain in a used sail IF the sail is within hands reach so you can eyeball it yourself. And IF you can confirm the measurements and draft are right for your boat. And IF you know how to evaluate the sail, i.e. to see if the draft is blown out, or the material worn, or a laminate starting to break down. Delamination means the sail should be used for kitty litter, SKIP IT.

Otherwise...return shipping can be a price killer, all by itself. Sometimes going with a new sail, made to your spec, by a lesser loft, can be an awfully competitive thing. We've used Atlantic Sail Traders in Florida, who also make new sails very competitively. (Be warned, their glued sails, as opposed to sewn, won't last as long as sewn seams do.) But they can offer new sails for not a lot more than good used ones.
Old 07-07-2009

gafred99 is on a distinguished road
When I look at anything used to purchase, I start by adding an ab then work backwards from that.
Almost always buying used you are buying someone else’s problems.
Just my 2 cents.