SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Joinery Separation - Help (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/5613-joinery-separation-help.html)

mqh7 11-21-2002 09:23 AM

Joinery Separation - Help

I made the mistake of buying a Hanse 311. They are a German made sailboat. I have some questions about sailboats and I was hoping someone here could help me.

Most of the joinery work down below is separating. The forward bulk-head wall, the wall in the head and the entire galley sink are all separating from the cabin floor. The galley sink is a good 1/2 inch removed from the cabin floor, maybe more.

This is a Brand New boat!! Correct me if I am wrong but this should not be happening on any sailboat much less a brand new boat.

And I e-mailed Hanse in Germany. They told me that I was worried about nothing and I should just apply some SikoFlex epoxy to the effected areas and I should be OK.

That is NOT an answer. Squirting glue into a 1/2 inch crack is not going to fix anything.

My questions are these:

a) What would cause something like this to happen?
b) How can you re-attach the walls and the galley to the cabin sole? As I said squirting more epoxy does not fix it.
c) How do you prevent something like this from happening again?
d) Have any of you out there had similar problems with any of your sailboats and if so how did you fix it?

Thanks,
Matt

WHOOSH 11-21-2002 02:13 PM

Joinery Separation - Help

Matt, it will be difficult to get exacting, helpful comments off a BB for this. But FWIW here are a few I''d suggest you consider:
1. No, this is somewhat unusual, not common.
2. Who tuned your rig? Is it possible it was overtightened and could be slacked off a bit, especially if you are in a seasonal climate area and won''t be using the boat in the near term? (Rig tension can do lots of funny things to a boat''s joiner work).
3. If the boat is new, who is the dealer and why hasn''t s/he been to the boat?
4. Don''t email Hanse; call them. Express yourself - be clear, insistent and request assistance. Have your warranty in front of you (assuming they gave you one). Quote them consumer law (see below). Whatever you do, don''t a) give up on the builder, and b) don''t close the door on the builder thru harsh verbage. Act in ways that keep them responsible.
5. The ''club'' you hold over Hanse''s (and perhaps the broker''s) head is the fact they are trying to create a larger ''presence'' in the U.S. market. Explain to them, in painful detail if necessary, how the U.S. is interlinked in a boating sense and how you either will be a satisfied customer or a really vocal, unhappy customer. You''d like to be that ''happy'' guy, but... (you get the idea).
6. Hanse is targeting several key markets and some of them happen to be where consumer law is quite strong. What are your rights as a consumer in your state? Do a little web research/phone calling and see what the law provides for you.

FWIW I purchased a Pacific Seacraft some years ago and the hull blistered so badly I could pull off strips of the gelcoat with my fingers; it was a mess. PS could have cared less...until it was boat show time and they found out I lived in Annapolis. It was *amazing* how helpful they were. That''s not the way you''d like to get assistance but it may be what''s necessary. Don''t underestimate the clout you have as a vocal consumer.

Good luck & keep us posted. I''m sure most of us think of Hanse as a quality builder.

Jack