Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2009

MC1 is on a distinguished road
Thank you for your feedback Mitiempo, this helps me understand your neck of the woods a little better.
Happy holiays and regards,
MC1
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2010

37NORTHSTAR is on a distinguished road
Rick & Bre,

In the price range and size you are looking in….you would be very hard pressed to find a better boat then an Alberg 37!!!! I owned a ’81 MKII for 8 years, lived onboard for 5 of those years and cruised about 10K nm. You take care of the boat and the boat will take care of you! The boat is well built and sails like a dream, Carl Alberg knew what he was doing and he did it very well….over and over.

Ultimately it will be up to the both of you to decide what your pocketbook can handle…the 37 is a GREAT boat and well respected. Like any boat it has its own set of pluses and minuses and as you educate yourself I feel you will decide what is best for you…what you can and can not live with. I would buy another in a heart beat!! I don’t have any experience on the Pearson 365 other then it grew out of and replaced the Alberg 35.

"sharedwatch" is spot-on with his remarks.

Have fun and go sailing!!

Glenn

PS: Mr. “Super Moderator”…Jimmy Buffett said it best….Don't try to describe a Kiss concert if you've never seen it . Don't ever forget that you just may wind up being gonged!!!

Last edited by 37NORTHSTAR; 01-22-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-22-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37NORTHSTAR View Post
PS: Mr. “Super Moderator”…Jimmy Buffett said it best….Don't try to describe a Kiss concert if you've never seen it .
True that but R&B should have no problem seeing through such opinions. While very valuable, it should be clear that that opinions expressed by some self described experts are, well, ....

I mean it does not take one long to see that sailing is not a one size fits all endeavour. That moderator helped me decide on a boat when I realised that we do very different sailing, have very different budgets and different expectations.

Both these boats have advantages as first boats, like the ability to run aground without much drama. I know a real sailor does not consider how a boat handles being run aground, real sailor avoids it or goes slow if that is a risk or a number of other things.

But I'm not a "real sailor", I'm a guy that likes to play with his boat and that includes cutting across that sand bar into Pelican Bay (no no you can't made it!) or poke up the river a bit (oops gotta get ta hell outta there when the tide turned!) and sometimes I just screw up (the book wasn't kidding when it said shifting sand bars!). It is not so OK to me, as I know it is with real sailors, to have to be super concerned about ripping the keel off every time I touch a rock or run over a fishing net.

As a disclaimer there is nothing wrong with being a real sailor, in fact it is great and the knowledge invaluable to new and old sailers. I was a "real motorcyclist" with years of riding and a ton of bike knowledge and just like a certian moderator I gave out very similar advice.

Then, after a couple of decades (didn't say I was quick, LOL) I noticed that guys on Harley Davidsons were having lots of fun with their bikes. They are crap bikes by every measure, heavy, slow, poor or no brakes, completely gutless. Bikes with half the engine were twice as fast and stopped in half the distance at twice the speed. But lots of people have lots of fun on HDs, sure they are not "real motorcycles" or not good motorcycles but so what?

Now if someone is interested in such a bike I point out that yeah they are kinda dangerous with the poor handling, excess weight and poor brakes but if you ride them with that in mind they can give a person that true motorcyling experience. The rider will come to see that the low center of gravity, low seat height, torque, and community will prove that motorcycling is not a one size fits all kinda sport. Neither is sailing.

Not that I am saying the Albergs are the HDs of boats, LOL, but I like many of the quailities they have. For example: Wet boat. Yep not much freeboard there but that also means less windage and it helps keep down the center of gravity. It also makes for a tough boat as it has low freeboard and narrow beam so not much flexing in that design. I liked that.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Old 07-29-2010

RickBarr is on a distinguished road
Alberg 37 "Branko"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko View Post
Hi.I would also say Alberg 37.I have one.Well equiped and in good shape for sale for $60,000
canadian.It is listed on boatdealers.ca.Check it out.It is on lake Huron in Byfield,ON.Good luck.
We just opted out on a 39' Ericson Restoration for an Alberg 37' (minimal Restoration) I've seen your boat online excellent condition by the looks of things. Very smart placement of additional hatches and cabin sole was most impressive. You added a mizzen mast as well no ? Did you do the work ? We'd really appreciate some input. Think we'll use your boat as a model of what a true beauty the A 37' can be with some modification. Still blown away by the cabin sole and the intricate cabinetry work.