Project cruiser? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-16-2009 Thread Starter

Project cruiser?

Looking to take off in 5-7 years (Caribbean, possibly Bermuda) and would like to purchase a boat that I could work on/upgrade for a few years myself. Have been sailing for 10 years on a Pearson 36 and done almost all upgrades myself - now looking for something slightly bigger.

Must be a "blue water" boat, 39-44'(?) (easily handled by 2), decent accomodations below, and well, sorry, but look good/have a little style (no ugly ducklings, please). Purchase budget up to $70K realizing I will need up to $35k(+) in upgrades and work.

Suggestions? Pearson Countess looks like a candidate, but not sure about this now ancient design and age of these...Have been aboard CAL 39's and these seem like a solid boat and possibility....
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-16-2009
Telstar 28

I'd point out that your budget is a bit on the small side for a boat in that size range, especially one that is in fairly decent shape to begin with.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-16-2009

The most obvious models that comes to mind is a Peterson 44 that needs tanks and deck work assuming that you would be able to provide the labor to remove the teak decks and glass over the sub-deck or else a Whitby 42 that needs work. .

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-16-2009 at 11:14 AM.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-16-2009 Thread Starter

Thanks, Jeff. Concern with Whitby 42 was the not so favorable review by Jack Horner I found (not impressed with sailing or construction - geez, did a Whitby do him wrong at some point?!). I like the looks and accomodations of these myself - never sailed one or looked at one closely.

Would love to find a Passport in my price range - good recommendation, thanks. Also found some Corbin 39's that might work?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.