Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009
sv Mary T Pearson P35

sailingmum is on a distinguished road
Cam, thanks for posting that amazing video.
The way the boat charged out the channel, I was more worried about all those bobbin head surfers and wonder whether the skipper is a surfer herself, the way the boat took the breakers. Any idea what boat that is ?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
mum i wonder what the boat was too, it looks like a 25 footer, it atleast looks shorter then my 27
Old 07-17-2009

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Chall,

I know the Beneteau 351. They are nice boats. VERY voluminous. Great for coastal sailing with a family. But not sure I'd want to take it across Bass Strait. I'll ask my friend that has one if he would go to Bermuda in it -- I think I know the answer.

Here's a photo of my friend's 351 rafted with another friend's boat. It is really an interesting study in contrasts, especially when you consider that the other boat (on left) is a 42 footer:

We liked the 351 as well for the same reasons. I don't think Bass Strait would probably feature in our plans anytime soon - I just used the 1998 Sydney to Hobart as an example of a situation where a forecast had been off the mark, with alot of the fleet getting into trouble a few nautical miles off the coast before they even hit the strait.

The immediate plans for us would be a cruise up the east coast of OZ to the Whitsundays, QLD islands etc. Once I get up there it is tradewind sailing with a lot of islands a day sail away from each other.....beyond than the plans get a little more ambitious, across to the louisiades archipelago in Papua New Guinea(a 3 day sail but we are now off the beaten track, with no rescue services). There are also then tentative plans beyond that of Asia or the Pacific, but the reality that we are starting to accept is that those plans are going to be a little way off yet.

We were initially looking for a boat that would be capable of all of the above, that is one that would be able to take us offshore when the time comes. But if the next 5 years is going to be only coastal cruising, then we have started thinking well why not a boat like the Beneteau 351?

Our Blog: Aussie cruising family

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2009
sv Mary T Pearson P35

sailingmum is on a distinguished road
Jeff, Your post is one of the most useful with a perspective and info I haven't read elsewhere, I've been 'researching' for more than 6 months now. Lots more to consider now. Thanks.
I don't care at all about racing anymore, doubt I'll be crossing any ocean but rather New England to Puerto Rico & BVIs sailing. I want vessel no larger than 32 as I'll be singlehanding mostly. I'm a bit confused about what you wrote about heavy displacement. Having been caught in many a nasty squall on the east end of Long Island and Block Island Sound, I'd love a boat that will right and quickly and kept thinking it meant mid to heavy displacement. I just passed on Cape Dory Intrepid ~ one reason being light displacement.
I would love a fractional rig with tiller. Occasionally, I see Cape Dory or Ericson that have both.