Bluewater vs Coastal... - Page 3 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 Old 07-17-2009

Send a message via Skype™ to sailingmum
Cam, thanks for posting that amazing video.
The way the boat charged out the channel, I was more worried about all those bobbin head surfers and wonder whether the skipper is a surfer herself, the way the boat took the breakers. Any idea what boat that is ?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 Old 07-17-2009

mum i wonder what the boat was too, it looks like a 25 footer, it atleast looks shorter then my 27
post #23 of 24 Old 07-17-2009 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Chall,

I know the Beneteau 351. They are nice boats. VERY voluminous. Great for coastal sailing with a family. But not sure I'd want to take it across Bass Strait. I'll ask my friend that has one if he would go to Bermuda in it -- I think I know the answer.

Here's a photo of my friend's 351 rafted with another friend's boat. It is really an interesting study in contrasts, especially when you consider that the other boat (on left) is a 42 footer:

We liked the 351 as well for the same reasons. I don't think Bass Strait would probably feature in our plans anytime soon - I just used the 1998 Sydney to Hobart as an example of a situation where a forecast had been off the mark, with alot of the fleet getting into trouble a few nautical miles off the coast before they even hit the strait.

The immediate plans for us would be a cruise up the east coast of OZ to the Whitsundays, QLD islands etc. Once I get up there it is tradewind sailing with a lot of islands a day sail away from each other.....beyond than the plans get a little more ambitious, across to the louisiades archipelago in Papua New Guinea(a 3 day sail but we are now off the beaten track, with no rescue services). There are also then tentative plans beyond that of Asia or the Pacific, but the reality that we are starting to accept is that those plans are going to be a little way off yet.

We were initially looking for a boat that would be capable of all of the above, that is one that would be able to take us offshore when the time comes. But if the next 5 years is going to be only coastal cruising, then we have started thinking well why not a boat like the Beneteau 351?

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #24 of 24 Old 07-17-2009

Send a message via Skype™ to sailingmum
Jeff, Your post is one of the most useful with a perspective and info I haven't read elsewhere, I've been 'researching' for more than 6 months now. Lots more to consider now. Thanks.
I don't care at all about racing anymore, doubt I'll be crossing any ocean but rather New England to Puerto Rico & BVIs sailing. I want vessel no larger than 32 as I'll be singlehanding mostly. I'm a bit confused about what you wrote about heavy displacement. Having been caught in many a nasty squall on the east end of Long Island and Block Island Sound, I'd love a boat that will right and quickly and kept thinking it meant mid to heavy displacement. I just passed on Cape Dory Intrepid ~ one reason being light displacement.
I would love a fractional rig with tiller. Occasionally, I see Cape Dory or Ericson that have both.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.