SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Catalina 25 Good Only Good for Bays and Daysailing? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/56319-catalina-25-good-only-good-bays-daysailing.html)

yippeekayay 07-18-2009 01:52 PM

Catalina 25 Good Only Good for Bays and Daysailing?

Just wanted to know first, if this boat is a good buy? Understanding that it checks out with all the pre inspection tips.

Also, is it good only for bays and daysailing or can you go overnight and/or a few weeks on it. I will be sailing in the Southern Coast of texas in the Gulf of mexico if i can on this boat. Or should i be looking for something bigger?

Catalina 25 sailboat for sale

Thank you,

Brandon

MarkCK 07-18-2009 02:55 PM

The boat looks pretty clean in the pictures and if it has all the upgrades it says it does it is probably worth the money. Catalina 25's usually go for around 5-10k depending on condition.

I would definetely stay in protected waters though.

How long you can stay on it is more a matter of personal preference. Some people can liveaboard a 25 footer. Most people think its a good size to spend a weekend on.

fullkeel7 07-18-2009 03:05 PM

Brandon, Doesn't sound like the deal of the century but not bad considering the apparent work that's been done.

The replaced bulkheads would raise a small flag for me...I'd have a surveyor look at them for proper installation and to see if the cause (possible water intrusion) was addressed. Also I've read that Catalina used some wood in the keel to hull joint in the earlier models to the mid / late 80's models of the 25' fin keeled versions. That would be another area I'd want confirmed by a knowledgeable surveyor. The fin keel does give you another 7 - 8" of headroom over the swing-keel model. A plus.

Just looking at a coastal map of Texas, the C25 would be more than suitable for long weekend/week cruises in the hunreds of miles of intracoastal waterways. The C25 would be fine for short trips into the Gulf if one stays within 'ducking in' distance to protected waters. A close eye on the weather forecast... :)

IMHO, with reasonable headroom, enclosed head, small galley w/ice box and two fair sized sleeping areas, the C25 would make a good little Texas coastal cruiser, especially if you're young and flexable. Good luck with the survey and possible purchase.

jephotog 07-18-2009 05:39 PM

I am considering a C25 for similar uses but on the west coast. I spent a lot of time on the Gulf and the weather is a lot more unpredictable there though than the West Coast, I would keep in in ICW during the convective season.

I like the Catalina for all the reasons FullKeel7 mentioned. Also there are so many made the parts readily available and prices for them are very reasonably priced comparatively. I do not think that is a great price though. I have been looking for boats in the $5-6k range for less with trailer. Do you have a big truck? Hang out a month and offer less.

I am aware of the wood in the keel in Catalinas but read about that for the 27s not sure if the 25s suffer the same design flaw. Read here for more details of design issues and what to look at for in purchasing.
Catalina - Capri - 25s International Association.

Good luck in your search.

Indy2 07-19-2009 08:27 AM

Be careful it is sound

Assuming the boat is sound and comes with a trailer, the price is not bad. I bought mine for the same price but it was 10 years younger. The 25 is not a blue water boat but should be ok for fair weather sails in the Gulf. I would hate to think what a complete knock down or rollover would do to a swing keel? Rip the keel out of the bottom as it swings full up to full down?

soulfinger 07-19-2009 05:57 PM

The Catalina 25 is a good boat, though I would want something a bit bigger for the Gulf. Texas is a big, windy place, and they're aren't a lot of places to hide.

scottyt 07-19-2009 08:21 PM

for 10 grand you could get a pretty decent 27 to 30 foot boat up here. and thats a great 27 footer to a decent 30 footer, may be even a 33 to 34 that just needs a real good clean up

mdbee 07-20-2009 12:14 AM

Another thought..

Check the areas you want to sail in. Many of the bays around here are pretty shallow. You may want to consider a swing keel, swing board or dagger board. There are times we are in only a couple feet of water in certain areas. . Water ballast can also be handy if you find yourself grounded. Simple matter of blowing the water out and gives you a few more inches of water under you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yippeekayay (Post 506503)
Just wanted to know first, if this boat is a good buy? Understanding that it checks out with all the pre inspection tips.

Also, is it good only for bays and daysailing or can you go overnight and/or a few weeks on it. I will be sailing in the Southern Coast of texas in the Gulf of mexico if i can on this boat. Or should i be looking for something bigger?

Catalina 25 sailboat for sale

Thank you,

Brandon

yippeekayay 07-20-2009 09:39 AM

Hello from Texas

Hello there,

Just wandering if there are any good sailboat dealers in Houston? Thank you,

Brandon

Quote:

Originally Posted by soulfinger (Post 506730)
The Catalina 25 is a good boat, though I would want something a bit bigger for the Gulf. Texas is a big, windy place, and they're aren't a lot of places to hide.

WouldaShoulda 07-20-2009 09:47 AM

When shopping for a 25' vessel I started looking at 27's.

I can almost stand up in the 27' and lay down in the v-berth.

When the waves approach 2ft and the winds 20, I'm glad to have the 27!!