SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Twin Keel sailboat? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/56336-twin-keel-sailboat.html)

gonesailin40 07-19-2009 08:19 AM

Twin Keel sailboat?

I am considering buying a Westerly Centaur for some coastal cruising and an occasional trip out into the Mexican Gulf. I am not able to find any local knowledge here on the panhandle of Florida about this type of boat. Also my online search has produced little useful information. Does anyone here have any knowledge or experience with this type of vessel?

Thanks

mazzy 07-19-2009 09:47 AM

Try UK Google for more UK-centric queries. There's one stored in the local boatyard. twin keels good for areas with large tides, boats rest easily on the bottom when tide's out. The one I saw has iron keels, the rust was very apparent.

gonesailin40 07-19-2009 11:28 AM

Looked around as you suggested mazzy and found some decent info, thanks. Not alot of info on sailing characteristics or stability. I guess the fact that the most positive things writen about them is the ability to beach them when the tide goes out answers many questions about them.

mitiempo 07-19-2009 01:32 PM

Here are some links to some info on twin keels:
Roll Attenuation and Bilge Keels
Why Twin Keels, by John Letcher —site by Nels Tomlinson
Bray Yacht Design and Research Ltd. - The Advantages of Twin Keels

I've owned two twin keel boats over the years. The first was a Westerly 25 built in 1967. The drag is increased and they can't point quite as well as a single keel boat. The second twin keel boat I owned was a 35" custom design that was bought from me by her designer and some changes made, most notably the change from single rudder to twin sailing rudders and a centreline rudder for powering. After these modifications she was sailed from Victoria to New Zealand and back by her designer and performed admirably. Quite an interesting boat in many respects. Here's a link to her listing as she is currently for sale:
Vela Yacht Sales (Victoria, BC)
Brian

mitiempo 07-19-2009 01:33 PM

Here are some links to some info on twin keels:
Roll Attenuation and Bilge Keels
Why Twin Keels, by John Letcher —site by Nels Tomlinson
Bray Yacht Design and Research Ltd. - The Advantages of Twin Keels

I've owned two twin keel boats over the years. The first was a Westerly 25 built in 1967. The drag is increased and they can't point quite as well as a single keel boat, but overall a good boat. The second twin keel boat I owned was a 35" custom design that was bought from me by her designer and some changes made, most notably the change from single rudder to twin sailing rudders and a centreline rudder for powering. After these modifications she was sailed from Victoria to New Zealand and back by her designer and performed admirably. Quite an interesting boat in many respects. Here's a link to her listing as she is currently for sale:
Vela Yacht Sales (Victoria, BC)
Brian

mazzy 07-19-2009 01:34 PM

I did find a review by Jack Horner. Google it,, as I don't have the link handy

BermudaHorst 07-19-2009 09:06 PM

Hi, I own a Westerly Centaur here in Bermuda and I'm pleased with it. I've had it offshore without concern, and it was apparently sailed from the UK to the US by one of the previous owners. It's stable and tough but not fast. I single-hand it as the Admiral don't sail! Here's some more links;

Westerly Owners Association

Westerly-Owners : Westerly Owners Group

There's a Westerly Centaur that is raced in the Jester Challenge by Alan Charleton - http://www.jesterinfo.org/

gonesailin40 07-19-2009 10:02 PM

Thanks for the links.
Ever have her out in anything rough? And other than slow, is there anything you would feel a need to warn someone about?

hellosailor 07-19-2009 11:49 PM

It is one of those "potty British things". Twin keels aka blidge keels work marvelously if your prime consideration is letting the boat sit stably on the bottom while a daily 20-foot tide runs in and out.

In parts of the world where there is only a single two-foot tidal rise (i.e. Florida) the entire concept of twin keels, which add lots of drag and cost and give you back nothing in return, is unheard-of.

And, outside of the UK and perhaps Nova Scotia, the resale value will be equally unheard-of.

Mipcar 07-20-2009 05:46 AM

A few issues ago there was a good series in the UK mag Practical boat owner, it covered all the Westerlys