Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2009

jephotog is on a distinguished road
My Reply was specific to the OP. He has been on the board a month, admits being new to sailing. His questions about boats have ranged from Catalina 25s, to light 23 centerboard trailerables, and taking a hunter monohull and creating a trimaran out of it.

Since he is new to sailing, does not have a clue about what he wants for a boat other than something comfortable to sail on the Texas coast. He lives on a coast with a huge selection of boats available and in the water ready to sail away. Why would he want to complicate his life by looking at boats across the country, of which he probably has no clue about, purchasing a trailer, and arranging shipping. There are probably boats to fit his needs on the coast available for less than the cost of a trailer for a 29' boat. If I was new to sailing and could afford a boat outright, I would not be looking for a project, I would be looking for something in the water, ready to sail on tomorrow.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
If I was new to sailing and could afford a boat outright, I would not be looking for a project, I would be looking for something in the water, ready to sail on tomorrow.
A few years ago, my son and I were looking for an inexpensive boat for him. We received similar advice from the owner of a company that was in the business of refurbishing boats, and who gave the advice to buy a boat that we could go sailing on from the start without having a major project effort to get it ready to sail, even though this meant we would walk away from some project boat trade -ins that he had for sale.

Now, in retrospect, I think it was indeed good advice. Many projects turn out fine because the purchaser had craftsman skills, but the boat yards are loaded with projects that will never sail again after the owner spent lots of time and money, and then gave it up. Hope all newbies will really consider what's involved and the time required for a successful project boat.....and it's usually a lot more expensive than one first anticipates.

Just my thoughts...others will obviously disagree.
Old 07-27-2009
99% landlubber, 1% sailor

modul8 is on a distinguished road
It is true that there are probably lots of suitable boats for sale in his region and perhaps in his price range. That being said, It's not impossible to have a trailer built for one further away, and lug it across a few state lines behind a big pick-up. I brought my 29' home on a freshly built (in a week to my specs by a local welder) towed behind an F250. I towed it across indiana and Michigan and into ontario. Yes there were oversize permits because the boat is beamy, and there are specific visibility marking requirements, speed restrictions, and time restrictions, whhich can vary from state to state. Also, if you need to travel off of state roads, you need similar permits for municipal and county roads.
it took me a week of phone calls to het all the permitting sorted out. The trip was a stunning success in the end.
Old 07-27-2009
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
We converted a 36ft flatbed 5th wheel to carry my Bristol 32. I like excess capacity, so we added a 3rd axle. We removed the center section in the trailer bed, dropped a 2 x 12 onto the axles....a perfect place for the keel to sit. Doing this gave topside clearance, and reduced the amount support needed between the hull and the trailer bed. Tied down on all sides, she rode well, and with careful driving, the 3/4 ton pickup did fine.

Last edited by seabreeze_97; 07-27-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-27-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Here is hopefully a moving copy of my stepdads boat with a custom built trailer getting put on it.
ImageShack(TM) slideshow hopefully a slideshow link of the launching last month.

So this can be done, granted my dually was overkill for this approx 7500 lbs max combo of boat and trailer......but it is what I have!

A new boat for the op to look at, Seward yachts, they have a 26 and 30 or so foot boat that can go offshore, is trailerable etc. Not sure if many are on the used market, but an option.

Marty

Last edited by blt2ski; 07-27-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-28-2009

sailingSammy is on a distinguished road
Some states have regulations that require trailers over a certain weight limit to be designed by a Professional Engineer. A friend of mine found out the hard way when he tried to register his home built 10 ton trailer.
If you find a boat you like and it is on the hard measure from the highest point of the cabintop to the ground then you will be able to figure out how high above the road the bed of the trailer can to be. You may be able to find a used equipment trailer with a pintle hitch and you could have the yard load it on with the boat on the cradle.
If this is a one off trip it may be cheaper to have it transported on a flexible schedule. I sailed with a guy who got his Alden 32 delivered from So. Cal to Houston for $2000 a couple years ago.