Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2009

yippeekayay is on a distinguished road
Building Trailers to Save

This is just a crazy hypothetical, but I am looking to buy a 29' boat with no trailer in another state. I am from Texas and the trailer would have to compensate for a fixed keel, or have one built. Does anyone know who can do that and if you can leagally cary a boat across the US without getting fined?

Note: I do not like Macgregors or other trailerable boats that aren't sea worthy but i would like suggestions on types of boats that can go to sea and work in bays.

Threw alot out there hope its ok in this forum.

Brandon in Texas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2009

jephotog is on a distinguished road
No way to save, trailers are over 5 grand for a boat like this, and it is not worth trailering IMHO. If you are looking to keep in near Houston keep looking local, too many to choose from nearby without looking out of state. Or something else on the Gulf and have it delivered via water. It looks like there are going to be no Hurricanes this summer anyways. Or just go buy the Ericson 30.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-24-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Many 29' boats would have a beam sufficient to require wide load permits to transport them across state lines, and is something to consider when thinking about trailering a boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-24-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
If one was to build a homebuilt trailer, it would have to pass state inspections before it could get a license...that means it has to meet all the regulations regarding lights, size, brakes, etc. Before you start to build a trailer, do you know what these are? While we all like to be self sufficient, even with trailers, there is a knowledge base that professional builders develop over years. Not having that knowledge base is likely to result in something that falls short of your intentions. Towing oversized loads, at the wrong times, without the proper permits, will get you some helfty fines. A better solution is to buy a boat nearby, and if you have to get a big one moved from a distance, hire a professional trucking company.
Old 07-24-2009
Bob Conner

thelocoman is on a distinguished road
boat trailer

I say bs. You can do this with a 3/4 ton pickup. I know,I have pulled my 30 to florida in the winter from Nebraska. Here is the trailer you want Adpost.com Classifieds > USA > trailer 2009 used only once FOR SALE I would buy this now if I were closer. Then buy a boat to put on it pull and resale in the midwest. Just don't have the time. Sorry I can't post a link. I am a new member. Oh yea wide load permits are 10-30 bucks depending on the state. no problem!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by thelocoman; 07-24-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-24-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
The Adpost trailer is a factory built trailer, so it would meet the legal requirements. And the design is a not "do it yourself first time". That trailer would likely work just fine. It is also $5,000. Now, you just need the boat, tow vehicle suitable for the load, and the permits...and verify times/conditions when you can move in each state.

Last edited by NCC320; 07-24-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-24-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Not sure what type of boat or brand, but, getting a trailer made is not a big deal. My step dad had one built a couple of yrs ago for a full keel 26' boat. IIRC it was about 4G in Wa st. So the 5G prices would not surprise me either depending upon how it is built etc.

Pulling a boat like this, no biggy with as mentioned, a typical 8 lug SW truck with enough HP in front of it. You may need overwide permits etc too. A lot of racers have special built trailer to tow boats around the country. Some J105 owners have trailers where the boat is on a slight angle, such that it makes the 8.5' max width amount, so no overwidth permits are needed. A boat like a melges with a lifting keel would be easy to do this on too.

Now a boat with a full keel.....I am sure a good builder could build one such that it could be angled and not worry about width issues.

Someone has a 30' boat with a CB that meets road specs as I recall, along with being reasonaly seaworthy. Assuming you want to take the boat to where you want to sail at. If it is to just get the boat back to Texas, hiring a boat transporter would be cheaper. Or if you are going to drysail the boat, then having a trailer to store it on would be a way to go too.

Marty
Old 07-24-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
'I say bs. You can do this with a 3/4 ton pickup. "
Reminds me of the go-fast I saw in the express ramp of the Interstate maybe four years ago. Being pulled at around 75mph by a bice beefy pickup truck.
Couple of miles down the road, just after the express lanes merged back in, I see traffic ahead of me grinding to a halt and as we picked our way through four lanes of debris, a complete truck bumper in the middle of the highway, truck and boat down in the recharge pit, six cars already parked next to them calling in the rescue squads.

Yeah, you can do anything with the right equipment. You can do even more if someone who understands the regulations and has experience is doing it.

Build your own trailer? And then what, bronze it and stick it in your front yard? IF you want to DIY, buy the trailer and sell it again when you are done. Then you check out the size and weight limits for each state you plan to cross. Almost guaranteed to be cheaper, simpler, and faster to call some boat transporters, and ask them what you can do to get a price break.

If you say "I want a transport on Tuesday at 9AM" you'll likely pay twice what the same thing would cost you, if you say "You can pick it up anytime in the next six weeks". Or, just pay more to buy something you can sail home.
Old 07-24-2009
Bob Conner

thelocoman is on a distinguished road
I did not read that he said that he was building his own trailer. He talked about having one built. Also, I have a cdl and experence with moving large boats. I also saw an add for this trailer for 4500, you never know. cash talks!

Last edited by thelocoman; 07-24-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-25-2009

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Recently there was a 26ft boat on craig's list with a very nice trailer for $600, I seriously considered buying it and reselling or scrapping the boat. The only thing that stopped me was that I already had three boats in my yard....

May be something to look into.

Ken.